The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
RailwayRobbo

Re: The story of PETERSDALE my OO gauge Branch Line layout

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed May 30, 2018 1:43 pm

A TYPICAL WORKING DAY AT PETERSDALE (A few photographs) Part 3

IMG_3565.JPG

80136 arrives at 'PETERSDALE' with a train of vans.
The engineers train seems to have gone back down the branch.
68049 waits for it's next shunt.

IMG_3576.JPG

68049 removes the brake van and 2 vans from the train and shunts them into the goods shed road for unloading.

IMG_3584.JPG

80136 has picked up the 2 vans in the bay platform and attached them to its train and leaves 'PETERSDALE' bound for the mainline station.
The narrowboat has moved on continuing it's leisurely journey down the canal.

IMG_3588.JPG

After more freight and passenger movements in and out of 'PETERSDALE' the last train of the day waits to depart.
The locals are still wondering when the good doctor's axe will fall on the branch and they'll all be travelling by bus.
Last edited by RailwayRobbo on Wed May 30, 2018 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed May 30, 2018 1:50 pm

Mountain wrote:Lovely scenery. I like that little green loco. :)

It's a Hornby loco from quite a few years ago.
My wife bought it for me as a surprise Christmas present because my name is Peter as well.
Hence all the 'Peter' references on my layout.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed May 30, 2018 1:51 pm

Yes. A J94. It is lovely.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.
Currently having a clear out of my 00 gauge items. See the "For sale" section.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Wed May 30, 2018 1:54 pm

Mountain wrote:Yes. A J94. It is lovely.

I also have a maroon liveried one called 'Harry' which is the same age.
They are both still good runners.
Harry and Peter were my first 2 colliery engines. I've since added another J94 and the USA tank to the fleet.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed May 30, 2018 4:50 pm

I remember when Dapol first started making the J94 back in the 1980's. It was one of their first models they designed from the ground up if I remember rightly? It retailled at £34.50. The second loco they made was a GWR castle class called "Neath Abbey" and was £39.95 or there abouts. Both were out of my price range as back then one could buy a new Mainline prairie for £12.50 and an Airfix 14xx for £8.50. I also remember a Mainline manor "Hinton Manor" in GWR livery selling for 17.50. All these were thew last of Airfix and Mainlines stock. I didnt get the chance to buy Mainlines mogul before they sold out. Dapol back then were selling Castles with tender drives (Ex Mainline or was it Airfix?) They were around £17.95 if my memory serves me. "Caerphilly Castle" was one of these locos.
Dapol J94's had amazing reviews in the press as did their loco drive castle "Neath Abbey". Dont forget, in those days the only loco drives were ex. Triang locos. Hornby were making Halls and B1's with the X03 type motors in them as old models still in production into the early '80's, (Most of Hornby locos were tender driven) but other then Wrenn which were over three times the price (E.g. £75 a loco!) there was nothing, so Dapols " Neath Abbey" created huge interest and excellent reviews.
Hornby later bought out many of Dapols tooling and these are the models you have.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:36 pm

As promised the Stationmaster and the Colliery Manager ran another 'Last Chance to Ride the Branch' Gala on the late May Bank Holiday Monday.
The Colliery Manager sent down all the available colliery locos to haul some Brake Van Specials up and down the Colliery Branch.
The Stationmaster decided to run the Auto-coach again, this time hauled by Fairburn 2-6-4 42073.
There's a 4 coach special arriving from Nottingham in the morning.

3.JPG

It's early morning down at the shed and the locos are being prepared.
The NCB fleet includes J94s 'Peter' and 'Harry' just back from a complete overhaul and repaint plus J94 No.4 and USA Tank 0-6-0 No.36.
BR Standard 3MT 76069 hides behind the shed out of use.

1.JPG

The Nottingham special made up of 4 very clean Mk1 Suburban coaches hauled by B1 2-6-0 61180 arrives
The B1 runs round it's train ready to take the empty stock back down to the mainline station. It will return later to pick up it's passengers.
Fairburn 2-6-4 42073 waits for the B1 to leave so it can run into the station platform for the first trip of the day.
The Brake Vans are stabled in the bay platform waiting for their first trip down the colliery branch.

2.JPG

The B1 couples up and prepares to leave.

4.JPG

The brake vans have been drawn out of the bay platform and reversed into the main station platform by J94 'Harry' and the USA Tank.
The pair will double head the first trip down to the colliery.

5.JPG

42073 heads over the canal bridge on another trip down to the mainline station.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:51 pm

'Last Chance to Ride the Branch' Part 2

6.JPG

J94 'Peter' and the USA Tank double head another trip down the colliery branch.

7.JPG

Another loco pairing for the colliery shuttle was J94 No.4 and the USA Tank topping and tailing the brake vans.
J94 No.4 waits at the head of the train while the USA Tank runs down to couple on the rear.

9.JPG

The Autocoach returns from another trip down to the mainline station.

10.JPG

After hauling many trips up and down the colliery branch the NCB Locos make the final trip of the day back to the colliery together.

11.JPG

The B1 arrives back with the empty stock to return the passengers to Nottingham.
The brake vans are stabled in the run round loop ready for dispersal to the mainline early next morning.

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:42 am

Another enjoyable day on Petersdale.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

BrightonMan

Postby BrightonMan » Wed Jun 13, 2018 11:56 pm

Mountain wrote: Both were out of my price range as back then one could buy a new Mainline prairie for £12.50 and an Airfix 14xx for £8.50. I also remember a Mainline manor "Hinton Manor" in GWR livery selling for 17.50.
When I first got into model railways (a long time ago) I was totally hooked on the GWR for some reason. My first loco was the Hornby Pannier Tank which was £4.99 new. Then I got a second-hand Hall class for a fiver. Coaches were about 3 quid I think - happy days

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:18 pm

Love the story behind the movements Pete.

Jim.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:13 am

BrightonMan wrote:
Mountain wrote: Both were out of my price range as back then one could buy a new Mainline prairie for £12.50 and an Airfix 14xx for £8.50. I also remember a Mainline manor "Hinton Manor" in GWR livery selling for 17.50.
When I first got into model railways (a long time ago) I was totally hooked on the GWR for some reason. My first loco was the Hornby Pannier Tank which was £4.99 new. Then I got a second-hand Hall class for a fiver. Coaches were about 3 quid I think - happy days

That would have been the mid 1970's onwards. I bought a GWR number 101 for £2.50 back in 1978-79. Then for £4.50 I bought the been class 08. I had a free limited edition wagon with that one! It took about 6-8 months of saving to buy each of them.
When I was buying the other GWR locos like the prairie and the manor I'd just moved from school (50p a week pocket money) to college (£1.50 a week pocket money) and leaving college I went to work full time for £50 a week (Just over £2 an hour) and in those days Mr Freezer came out with one of his books saying about scratchbuilding a point "If we value our time at just £10 an hour which is a very low amount indeed!" I was thinking " What wage is he normally on?" :shock:
[Even today in my area it is rare to find someone working for more then £10 an hour unless they are employed in the medical field or a job like that].

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:02 pm

Off to my favourite exhibition tomorrow at the Great Central Railway.
Unfortunately TMC don't have a stand this year so no locos will be going to the weathering works till later in the year.
The guys told me at Alexandra Palace the reason why they are giving it a miss this year is that last year they had problems with the floor of the main tent being unstable and their cabinets kept moving whenever anybody walked near them. They had a few near misses when the cabinets could have fallen over, damaging all those lovely models.
It will be the first time for a long time when I don't have anything in particular I want to buy. Should be a cheap day out then LOL.

RailwayRobbo

Postby RailwayRobbo » Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:48 am

Another good day out at the GCR Model Event on Saturday. It had the usual comfortable feel about it. It was easy to view all the layouts and there was plenty of room on the trains.
Plenty of variety in the marquees and running on the main line as well.
'Oliver Cromwell', 9F 'Leicester City' and 73169 providing the steam power.
Peak D123, a BR Sulzer Type 2 and a couple of English Electric Type 1 providing the diesel power.
A 1960 DMU was also running. I had to ride in this to remind me of the trips we took to Sheffield Victoria spotting in the last days it was open. Whitwell to Worksop usually behind a Stanier tank then Worksop to Sheffield in a DMU or 'Rattle Cars' as we used to call them. Still the same old 'Rattle Car'.
The weather was dull but the rain stayed away.
The floor of the big marquee was a problem again. I heard a few operators saying they were having problems. One guy who had a small coal yard shunting layout put a 'post-it' note on the layout saying, "Sorry for the sometimes erratic operation but I am not used to this wobbly floor and the vibrations from the big trains outside." I was at the Bachmann Roadshow stand and when I stepped forward to look in one of their cabinets I saw it move slightly towards me. I wonder if they will try and remedy it for next year.
I had thought that I didn't really need to take much interest in the trader's stalls but I realised after I'd run the brake van specials on the 'Last Chance to Ride the Branch' Gala at PETERSDALE I was missing one type of brave van from my collection. I needed a bauxite BR type to give me bauxite and grey examples of 10' Midland Vans, Toad Vans and the BR type. I did find one priced at £22.99 (RRP £26.99). Future rolling stock purchases are definitely going to be something unusual that are different. £23 for a brake van!!!!!!!
Think I'm going to finally find time to run in my 'Hattons Bargain' Heljan Class 05 this afternoon.

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Tue Jun 19, 2018 7:48 am

I agree about the price of a brake van Pete, just getting silly now.

Check out Geoff T. (Dad-1) on his wagon works, he has built quite a few Dapol kits
and is impressed with the quality, once complete. I have 2 of the Dapol Brakes on
Millsend, 1 grey and 1 bauxite and am quite happy with the results once built, painted
and weathered.

Trawled my thread and found this old pic of my pair Pete.

brakes.JPG

Jim.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:40 pm

RailwayRobbo wrote: Future rolling stock purchases are definitely going to be something unusual that are different. £23 for a brake van!!!!!!!

That's scary! Thankfully I have 49 to choose from that I probably never paid more than £3 each for! (Second hand a few years back)
I could run a mega brake van special, except my current layout could only fit half of them! lol
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”