Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
carnehan

Re: Galgorm Hall 00 Gauge Loft Layout

Postby carnehan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:47 pm

Coops, any update is a great update from Friargate, now get typing. :lol:

Jim, thank you and with that here’s an early stage progress of my next bridging project.

Before placing the plaster bandage all three bridges are to be constructed and fitted in place so I’ve started with the simplest one, well, simplest in that I only need to do one side but it’s still proving a bit of a head scratcher. I’ve just about cracked it now though so whilst the card cures overnight here’s a little pic.

C1E25554-2F62-4B47-830B-6B2FEB91DF30.jpeg

The mouth and abutments will be clad in Slaters 7mm plasticard stone with the tunnel itself clad in plain 4mm bonded brick.

Paul

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Apr 16, 2018 9:56 pm

You've had a lot of angles to juggle with there Paul, but hats off to you,
it looks spot on to me, should look the business once covered.

Jim.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Mon Apr 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Hi Paul - can I suggest some strips of masking tape over the gaps between the cardboard supports (or better still some chicken wire) otherwise the plaster bandage might sag between the supports.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Tue Apr 17, 2018 9:49 am

Jim (1), the angles proved quite challenging. The abutments proved easy enough in the end as the card formers either side provided a useful guide. The internal walls were much more difficult until I hit on the idea of a template. By placing a sheet of paper under the bridge and over the track I could mark a pencil line for the tunnel mouth edges on it. Rubbing a finger along the rails left a crease in the paper and once removed both acted as a guide for gluing those sides to the mouth section.

Jim (2), as with the diorama, I will stuff each cell with scrunched up newspaper to act as a support while the bandage dries. Cheap and cheerful and gives full support. :D

Paul

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Apr 17, 2018 3:27 pm

Always like to watch the building of lightweight structures.
I tend to be Victorian and over strength everything.

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Coopslner

Postby Coopslner » Sun Apr 29, 2018 11:08 pm

Haha Paul with regards to your reply to my last comment, I will put together an update soon with all the little stuff I've been doing, but regards to your tunnel it looks really good at this stage. Had you considered using the Wills kit for a tunnel mouth or do you have a specific design or prototype in mind for yours? Either way it will look great when clad with some brick plasticard and finished with your brick painting magic.

Look forward to more :)

Coops.
Derby Friargate GN

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Mon Apr 30, 2018 6:38 pm

Coops, I’ll look forward to that update. I did take a look at the Wills kits but a combination of the dimensions required and the peculiar angles necessary on this particular bridge, scratch building proved the simplest option. No prototype either in mind, just an idea of what I wanted.

On the build, all the card structure has been completed and the cladding applied to the face and abutments and capping stones made too. The intention had been to use the 7mm stone but it just looked too large on this small build so I opted instead for the 4mm dressed stone.

2FDC6251-4CA8-4715-9BAB-CF60AC5C1C36.jpeg

The arch proved a right pain to do. With leftover strips of plasticard from the mouth of the bridge, I cut individual stones from it to lay round the curve. Slow, fiddly and a little frustrating but I’m more than pleased with the effect.

No photo as yet of the capping stones so I’ll detail this in the next update. :D

I have two more bridges to construct after this so will hopefully continue the journey in the competition thread that I haven’t launched yet. :lol:

Paul

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:49 pm

Cracking job as usual Paul, fiddly the individual stones may have been, but it's touches
like that which make all the difference. Enjoyed the youtube video showing construction.

Keep the updates coming Paul, I am patiently waiting for the construction starting
on the two water towers either end of the planned station. :wink:

Jim.

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Mon Apr 30, 2018 7:54 pm

railwayjim wrote:Enjoyed the youtube video showing construction.

Oooh, where's that then? :shock:

railwayjim

Postby railwayjim » Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:09 pm

I found it by accident and was pleasantly surprised by it and his layout updates.

Just key in calgorm hall in youtube.

Jim.

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Tue May 01, 2018 7:19 pm

Jim, yes your right, the little details tend to grab the attention when displaying your wares. I’m nominating you as my Youtube PR guy. :lol: And as to those water towers, I haven’t forgotten them. In fact another Youtuber has given me a great idea for the cylindrical tanks.

PNP, if you want to see any of my videos please click below.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCPycHX ... PrUuTgTEfQ

As to those capping stones for the abutments, here’s that picture. The brickwork has also been installed inside the arch so all is now ready for painting.

B81C7D45-E55D-40C7-B9F5-F44443EB4DEA.jpeg

Paul

PinkNosedPenguin

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Wed May 02, 2018 6:40 pm

Interesting vids thanks 8)
That capping looks excellent.
What have you used inside the arch? Is it standard 4mm scale bricks? They do look very small compared to the stone . . .

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Wed May 02, 2018 11:02 pm

Thanks for the link to your videos - I've just enjoyed the Bridge Building video - what adhesive do you use for glueing the card together Paul? (And apologies if that's already covered in one of the other videos that I haven't looked at yet!)

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu May 03, 2018 7:28 pm

PNP, yeah it’s 4mm brick inside the arch. I hadn’t noticed how much smaller it looked until you pointed it out so perhaps it’s just a trick of the camera.

Ex-pat, the card is stuck with standard PVA. Another coating is applied over the surfaces that will have plasticard attached to it to help with the bonding process. Those sheets are then affixed using good old Revell Contacta.

Paul

carnehan

Postby carnehan » Thu May 03, 2018 10:17 pm

I finished off this bridge build tonight with the final stages of painting. I’ve followed my usual technique to create the effect, first off, a coat of Revells earth brown was applied to the dressed stone and left overnight to dry. This was followed by a coat of tank grey and rubbed off in places to reveal the colours beneath. Once touch dry, a coat of grey acrylic was applied and vigorously rubbed off - this results in revealing further tones in the colours beneath as well as highlighting the pointing. A final touch of white acrylic dry brushed to highlight the odd limestone bleed.

A1559F61-F0B7-4ACF-A264-E06C80EAFAD1.jpeg

Paul

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”