MY NEW LAYOUT ARDUINO CONTROLLED

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
TimberSurf

Re: MY NEW LAYOUT ARDUINO CONTROLLED

Postby TimberSurf » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:54 am

WoW! That's stunning! Feathers an' all!
It looks very delicate.
Which bits are printed and which bits are scratch?
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Sun Jan 07, 2018 9:49 am

YOUR HIGHNESS wrote:Which bits are printed and which bits are scratch?

Of course the itchy bits were scratch :lol:

On the resin printer the horses, figures, and the hearse body
On the plastic extrusion printer the wheels, chassis, seat, draw bar
Scratch built the whip, plumes, outer harness and the reins

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Mon Jan 22, 2018 9:38 am

Well just some pretty normal stuff today, a few pics of the Terrace Houses that I am currently working on. There are 6 window positions created from the one window drawing.

One thing about being able to design and print your own windows and doors and everything else you are not stuck with what the market wants to sell you, which is the same as everyone else has to use.
The back windows are still being printed at the moment, and I am also working on the back extension which has the laundry and the toilet.

This plaster dust plays havoc with the keyboard and mouse, and the Resin and IPA have removed the letters of the keys on the keyboard, have to keep painting them back on :)
If you have a printer these are available to print your own on Thingyverse links below.

https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2763959
https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2764364

MVC-253F.JPG

MVC-254F.JPG

MVC-255F.JPG

End2end

Postby End2end » Mon Jan 22, 2018 4:07 pm

Great stuff timbologist. It's not often I've seen open windows modelled. :) I'm always adding lighting and interior to my buildings. Will you be doing the same?
All this new technology is really opening the hobby up. I will say though, you sent me spiralling into a thingiverse black hole. :lol:
Some great stuff on there including laser cut items I noticed.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:30 am

Well been plodding along working on those terraced houses nearly finished ready for the layout, attached a few photo's of the current build status.
Still have a couple of backyards to finish, still need to cast some double sided Linka brick wall tiles.

Don't think I mentioned that previously. but I have printed some double sided moulds for casting plaster walls with bricks on both sides that are in the Linka format so will lock together the same, plus a 4 part printed mould for brick posts. Will post some pictures next time, Plus just finished a 1918 Mack AC Bulldog garbage Truck fully printed in Resin, again will post pictures another time.

Cheers

MVC-287F.JPG
posters on wall

MVC-311F.JPG
back yards

MVC-281F.JPG
back yards

MVC-274F.JPG
back yards

MVC-290F.JPG
front view

timbologist

TO SMASH OR NOT TO SMASH UP

Postby timbologist » Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:06 am

hi all

Well on the weekend dragged out the Linka moulds to make a ruined castle to sit on the hill in the background, but things did not go to plan as can be seen in the photo's. I have got it to this stage now I can't bring myself to smash it up a bit to turn it into a ruin. So have to finish it of as a sort of low relief complete castle. Such is life.

MVC-369F.JPG

MVC-368F.JPG

MVC-367F.JPG

MVC-366F.JPG

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 20, 2018 5:52 pm

Somehow even though it looks different, it reminds me of Laugharne Castle not that many miles from here.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Mar 13, 2018 9:56 pm

The House row front seems odd to me, most cheap housing I know of hade 4 pane windows, 9 pane windows reminds me of factories, but who knows! I have not seen every street in the country!
The back gardens look great, love all the detail, a real "scene" going on.
When I look at your thread title, I think I am further on than you! I now have several programs written for "animated" (or animotion as I call it) accessories. The program to run both car lifts is written! I am a fan of the Arduino principle, I just hate programming!

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Wed Mar 14, 2018 5:19 am

As Mr Greenslades always says it's all in the mind.
What is and what isn’t nobody really knows.
Therefore what you see, is what it is, and what you don't see, it is not.

My Arduino stuff came to a standstill when I ran out of bits awhile ago. The track is set up in blocks so I can run 4 trains on a single track doing different things at the same time. It is run by 4 Arduino's talking to each other 1 master and 3 slaves. The track detection and the throttles are mostly installed.
I have had 1 train running around on what was connected and all runs pretty nicely.
But been doing a lot of building lately so have not got back to the electronics. And currently designing my own 3D printer that will print at 0.025mm resolution X and Y, for those really fine pieces.
So much to do and not enough time to do it it. At least all the main track is laid, just one siding area to lay.
And I have built all my slow motion point controllers using servo motors they work very nicely controlled by an Arduino that controls several points. I modified the servo motors so I can read the actual position of the servo so I know at all times the actual position of the point not just where it was last sent.

I like Your car hoist and the swing.

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:03 am

Hi folks

Seem to have forgot to submit my last post. So shall have to make up for it.
Last month or so have been working on the electronics and the track wiring for the layout, busily writing code for the Arduino's and the computer.
The Arduino's the code is in C and the computer is C++ and QT. I have attached a screen shot of the current controller, very basic at this point of time mainly using it to sort out the comms between the computer and the 4 Arduino's. At the moment as the trains run around the layout the block occupancy indicators change to show the current location of the train. Yes I have had 2 trains going at the same time on a single track. Next post I will include the track layout as I do not have it as an image file just the cad drawing.
At present I have several blocks joined together as I had run out of network cable.
The photo is of the Arduino panel, was taken for the post I forgot to submit, it looks a lot worse now more cabling.

The final control will probably use a Beaglebone Black instead of the computer as the software will easily be ported over as my computer runs Linux and the Beaglebone runs Linux also.

DEBUG-PANEL.png
DEBUG PANEL

MVC-403F.JPG
arduino panel

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:18 am

Hi folks
I have attached the track plan so you can see what I am up to, Only need 1 more cable to get the last block separated.
Tonight running an 060 Tank engine and 2 Pullman coaches, a bit of relaxation sit and watch the train go around while I drink my cup of TEA.
The track plan has none of the sidings or branches shown, they will be added later when I get draw a more to scale drawing this one is just a rough sketch so I could wire it up.

TRACK-PLAN-2.png
TRACK PLAN
TRACK-PLAN-2.png (10.9 KiB) Viewed 271 times

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:26 am

That maximises the run a bit. :mrgreen:
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:57 am

Wow that has so many similarities to my design! Looks like twin track with four track in places but in reality is just one loop with many trains not colliding with each other even though all on the same track! I may come around to using Arduino for track section control yet!
What are you using as the occupancy detector? IR, coil based current detector or diode volt dif type?

Now that I think of it, I had always planned that my storage yard (which is part of the loop) would auto cycle the release of the next train as the last one came back, but never quite hard lined what mechanism would drive the points, I assumed it would end up as some sort of home grown decade counter type circuit, but of course an Arduino would be a perfect candidate to control it!
Last edited by TimberSurf on Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

timbologist

Postby timbologist » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:21 pm

TimberSurf wrote:What are you using as the occupancy detector? IR, coil based current detector or diode volt dif type?

I had a bit of a play around with what I had laying around, and found getting the voltage difference across a pair of diodes worked best for me.
I used opto couplers to isolate the track voltage from the Arduino side. Here is the Schematic of what I used, I have about 36 of them, 29 on the main line the rest in the sidings. Had no problems with there operation YET :o

block-detection.png
BLOCK DETECTION SCHEMATIC

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:36 pm

COOL! I too intend to us V dif as the cheapest option (I will need about 40 circuits)
I am wondering if it would be possible to use the Arduino as the the voltage comparator?

One concern with your circuit, is that the diodes are not schottky type, intimated that standard 1N400x do not have fast enough recovery and will cause issues to the waveform!

What do the two Jumpers do?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”