Beech Hill

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
dubdee1000

Re: Beech Hill

Postby dubdee1000 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:16 pm

Ballasted some more of the track last night but the Ballast Magic which i'd used previously let me down. If you haven't used this stuff, its powdered glue that you mix in with the ballast. Shake it onto the track and then spray water on it. The water makes the glue tacky and holds the ballast down. Previously when i'd used this, it set like granite. Not so this time.

So, since this held tinhs up a little, i got to work on the printer to make myself a security fence. Designing it on sketchup was easy enough, but i found that the mk1 design of vertical bars with a horizontal bar on the back never printed well. Instead, i brought the horizontal bar into the vertical ones (as a sort of bracing) and this printed fine, on the whole :

_DSC3735.jpg

Seems you always get a duff one when you take your eye off that first layer. Anyway, once sprayed up with some grey primer, they didn't look too bad :

_DSC3736.jpg

This is them loosely laid in place. I'm not sticking them down just yet because there is still some weathering to do behind them, not least the ballast when it dries. There are also a few catenary masts to stick up and wire.

_DSC3728.jpg

_DSC3732.jpg

While printer was going, i also threw together this ?fuel tank. It shows the limitations of 3d printing - still coarse and lacking smoothness. However, it'll be painted and weathered and to be quite honest, i don't think it looks too bad as it is - perhaps if it was perfectly smooth is would looked odd

_DSC3724.jpg

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:58 pm

Work on the railway has spluttered to a bit of pause whilst i've been adding sound to many of my locos. I love the tts chips. I know they're marmite and i've had a couple of duds, but truth be told, i'm generally impressed. The full fat hornby 31 lends itself to a big speaker, so i shoehorned the biggest one i could find after taking out the fans. I really do like this, the video doesn't do it justice.

https://youtu.be/Kt9Q3CETPmA

Eagle eyed will spot that i've extended the backscene around the rear of the layout. Not without hiccups, the idea of pasting it the a backboard is i think a little misguided. After screwing up the first attempt when the paste stuck EXTREMELY well and EXTREMELY quickly (before i managed to get it level), Mk2 is stuck with double sided tape which was a much easier affair.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Feb 13, 2018 10:27 pm

Is an interesting model, that coach. I was thinking how you could make it also from converting one of those track cleaners Dapol make so it can look trhw part and do something unusual at the same time.

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Tue Feb 13, 2018 11:50 pm

Mountain wrote:Is an interesting model, that coach. I was thinking how you could make it also from converting one of those track cleaners Dapol make so it can look trhw part and do something unusual at the same time.

Its a southern pride kit of the OHLE train based at Wigan Springs Branch. There are about 6 of them in total, all slightly different. Its finding the time to sit down and build them!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:05 am

I have a few kits to build myself that are waiting and I've had them for a long time. A few years!

dubdee1000

Postby dubdee1000 » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:19 am

I know! This coach was the first one and i learned a lot from it, but time intensive. I reckon i could get good economies of scale if i crack on with the remainder.

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”