Gateside and Northbridge

Post pictures and information about your own personal model railway layout that is under construction. Keep members up-to-date with what you are doing and discuss problems that you are having.
luckymucklebackit

Re: Gateside and Northbridge

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:14 am

Thanks Jim

End2end - Not sure about DCC/Settrack as I don't use either, but I think the principle is the same and with DCC the insulated rail joiner would not be required. I would need to see the layout of the underside of a settrack point, it would definitely not work with electrofrog without additional switching otherwise you would have a permanent short.

Cheers

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?
My layout - Gateside and Northbridge

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:19 am

luckymucklebackit wrote:As scheduled, it was track preparation work tonight. There is a modification that I like to make to all my Peco points, I don't like to rely on the wipers for electrical contact so I solder bridge wires on my inxulfrog points (this method will not work with Electrofrog

But this method works for Electrofrog points:

P1040310electrofrogmod.jpg
Between the first and second sleepers to the left of the central pivots you can see 2 small pieces of wire soldered underneath the rails after removing the webbing. Each wire ensures that the respective outer stock rail is bonded to its respective inner switch rail, and which ensures continuity of current.
P1040310electrofrogmod.jpg (77.37 KiB) Viewed 334 times

The wires can be heavily weathered to totally disguise their existence.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:36 am

Thanks Ex-Pat - I have a couple of Electrofrog points so I will use that method.

Jim
This Signature Left Intentionally Blank, but since I have written this and I intended to do it, this Signature is intentionally not blank. Paradox or What?

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:23 pm

I'm still undecided if I should take this route with my yet to be laid peco set track insulfrog points on my DCC layout.
May I ask, I looked at your track plan on page one and saw some crossovers or double slips, do you use this sort of method on those too as I need to lay 2 Hornby crossovers between tracks?

I would have used peco crossovers but their track geometry is wrong for what I need as all the track I'm using is set track with peco insulfrog points.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Tue Jan 09, 2018 3:48 pm

Hi Endto End - I don't use this method on the two Double Slips, they are a nightmare underneath so I leave well alone :) . Crossovers are not a problem as I basically have a "one engine in steam" policy, I only have one pair of hands so one controller in use at any time, all the track is laid out so that the outside rail from the control position in the centre of the layout is common return. At crossovers however I do use this wiring method but use a pair of insulated joiners just in case I ever want to run the two tracks independently (unlikely but you never know).

I know what you mean about using Peco Streamline for crossovers, set-track points have an angle of 22 degrees and in a crossover configuration gives you a track centre of about 67mm (used to be 2⅝" in old money) streamline points have a 12 degree angle and in a crossover configuration gives you a track centre of 50mm although by inserting a short piece of straight track could open it out to 67mm. If you use a pair of insulated joiners on either it should avoid any possible problems.

Hope this helps

Jim

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 09, 2018 10:15 pm

I've just checked and the Hornby crossovers do not have any metal exposed to do this fix sadly. :(
Thanks
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

Dragonfly

Postby Dragonfly » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:08 pm

Crossovers don't rely on conducting through wipers (they don't have any), so this fix isn't needed for them (that was the point, no pun intended).

The only thing to plan for, with this, is that it makes both paths from the points live. On DCC this is beneficial, as it reduces the need to put droppers to every siding, and in a one-loco-in-steam plan like yours it's again not an issue. But if you're on analogue and wanting to run more than one, you'd need a decent isolating section setup.
=Doug
| Dragonfly | Current projects: Kidneston (00) / Clatter (N) / Much Oakley (N) / Workbench |

End2end

Postby End2end » Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:44 pm

Right you are. Excellent. :D
My personal sidings will all have droppers as I'm DCC.
Thanks Dragonfly.
End2end
Welcome‎
Planning
Building

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:24 pm

Tonight was a bit of a "one step forward, two steps back" kind of a night. Straight away I discovered I had only two insuiating rail joiners in my stock, not nearly enough for tracklaying. So I t did a mock up to position the holes for the point actuators. I drilled an 8mm hole in the required positions and marked out a line to the edge to position the holes to take the bicycle spokes. am 8mm hole in the frame was required to take the spoke

My initial idea was to use pins for the actuators, but I had difficulty fixing them to the spokes. A quick delve into the stock box brought up some 0.8 brass rod that I bought last year, this is quite stiff so I coiled a loop round the spoke and then threaded the spoke through the hoie that was formed once the spoke was in place. This was then soldered/

I tried a point in place and the mechanism works fine, will finish this off on Monday, will get down to the Uddinston Model Centre tomorrow for insulating rail joiners.

I still have a problem with the electrofrog point, it is not the pattern that Ex-Pat showed, there is no break in the rail, see below

Jim

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:26 pm

Duplicate post - sorry!
Last edited by luckymucklebackit on Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:47 pm

If you need any bicycle spokes I have some spare, as I have quite a collection of mountainbike wheels at the moment! There are two ways to join two spokes. One is to cut the head off and roll some thread onto the spoke so there is thread at both ends and joi n with a long spoke nipple. (Bicycle spoke threads are rolled on via a bicycle spoke threading tool, which can't be used on stainless steel spokes, but works on standard spokes). The other is by hitting the end of the spoke with a hammer to flatten it, and simply drill through the flattened end and bolt to another spoke treated in a similar manner.

luckymucklebackit

Postby luckymucklebackit » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:51 pm

Thanks for the offer Mountain, with this small extension one spoke is enough to pass through the full subframe, still got a few spokes left on the wheel that I have been dismantling :)

Jim

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:01 pm

No worries. I'm scaling down on bicycle wheels as I have too many!

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:17 pm

Perhaps you missed "after removing the webbing"?

(It would be too easy if you didn't have to cut the webbing away!)

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:05 pm

Ex-Pat wrote:Perhaps you missed "after removing the webbing"?

(It would be too easy if you didn't have to cut the webbing away!)

Having written that I only now see what you mean by "there is no break in the rail "

At first I started convincing myself that it would still work, but on further reflection it seems it would create a short between the outer rails. Are your electrofrog points pretty old then?

Return to “Personal Layouts - Under Construction”