Attic build - but sit/kneel

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
Nattcrawler

Attic build - but sit/kneel

Post by Nattcrawler »

Hi All,

I hope everyone is well.

I have my attic done all insulated already as it’s our master bedroom. It’s about 2 thirds the size of a standard terraced house. My question is regarding the other third, which comprises of a storage gangway of about 4ft and then a blocked off bit towards the front of the house of say another 3ft. My question is, if I was to unblock it, board out the rest of it right down to the front of the house, has anyone ever had part of their layout where they need to kneel to work on? I was contemplating keeping that part of the layout like a countryside scenery with just a backboard with scenery on, maybe some fields and a few trees and then the rest of the layout where I can nearly stand up straight would be where I do all the station etc. what’s peoples thoughts on this? I know I don’t paint too much of an informative picture but I’m hoping people can grasp what I mean from my description lol.

Thanks in advance and i hope everyone is safe and well!

Jordan
b308

Re: Attic build - but sit/kneel

Post by b308 »

If that's really the only space you have available then take it. But it won't be comfortable for long periods. Is there not a garage you could use or space for a shed?
Nattcrawler

Post by Nattcrawler »

b308 wrote:If that's really the only space you have available then take it. But it won't be comfortable for long periods. Is there not a garage you could use or space for a shed?
Unfortunately not, this is the only space I have, I’m not after a massive layout, just something to enjoy and build on. I might just try it and if it gets uncomfortable then I’ll just dismantle it for another time.
Byegad

Post by Byegad »

It really depends on your age and fitness. I can kneel,for about five minutes and need something to hang onto to get back up, so it would be a no-no for me.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

I had a whole loft space to go at, with just one obstruction, the cold water tank. It was raised up on a trestle to gain extra head, a common problem in bungalows. It's what should be a 2bed bungalow but it sits atop three more rooms below ground level to the front and ground level to the back so plenty of room once the kids at left home. I partitioned off half of the space and built my baseboards at the bottom of the purlins which gave me a clear 2ft beneath the boards. I modified an office chair, on castors so that I was sitting at a comfortable height and could roll around without getting up. Ten years on the height was getting to be a pain in the neck, literally, but by then I had the option to use one of the rooms, which made everything ten times better at least.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

Nattcrawler wrote: ...has anyone ever had part of their layout where they need to kneel to work on? ...
Oh yes, loft layout that only had 4' under the ridge, and the boards 2' above the floor. Fine as a teenager, became a trial in my early twenties, and then the house was sold so I didn't get to challenge myself in the 'remaining flexible while ageing' stakes. There are of course possible aids fashioned by ingenuity:
Bufferstop wrote:... I modified an office chair, on castors so that I was sitting at a comfortable height and could roll around without getting up...
Another point to remember if the layout is to be salvageable at some future time, build it in sections sized so that they are definitely removeable; the sections screwed or bolted together in the layout space so that it can later be dismantled. There's an immediate advantage. You can build each section to whatever stage you choose before moving it into the more confined space of the layout room. Construction is typically much easier in a space where you can swing a cat.
Bufferstop

Post by Bufferstop »

Bigmet wrote:. Construction is typically much easier in a space where you can swing a cat.
That's where I went wrong, I didn't, and now the perisher makes a bee-line for the field with the sheep and hunkers down for a few hours shuteye. Trains don't bother him, he can sleep through anything.[/quote]
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions