Thickness of Plywood framing and type?

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
centenary

Thickness of Plywood framing and type?

Post by centenary »

Looking for recommendation of what type of plywood and thickness to use for base board framing as an alternative to PSE wood. What height would be suitable for making the frame sides and cross members, about 10cm tall, what thickness, 12mm, 18mm, 25mm?

I have a brick, double integral garage, car and household boiler on one side. It's dry, warm, doesnt have any water ingress etc. Should I go for a Malaysian ply, Birch ply? Dont want to spend silly money but at the same time, dont want cheapo.
Bufferstop

Re: Thickness of Plywood framing and type?

Post by Bufferstop »

It's not the thickness that gives it strength 6mm thick by 100mm deep once it is prevented from flexing by gluing to the top surface is stronger than 2x1 PSE. Use a double thickness on the ends to provide something for dowels and hinges to fasten to. If you want to attach fixings to the front and rear at the end you can always glue and screw a patch to the inside. I subject mine to a rigidity test, sit a couple of house bricks in the centre and lift it by one corner any visible flexing is a fail.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions
Free_at_last

Post by Free_at_last »

Don't waste money on far eastern plywood, this was flat as a pancake when I brought it home 24hrs earlier...
Far Eastern Shitwood..jpg
I wasted money on two sheets of this when I could have bought one sheet of Baltic Birch.
Pete.
Gauge is not spelt guage. Remember to put another "m" in remeber. Manufacturers has two "r"s in.
When you buy something, you have bought it, not brought it.
Before you post, are you really LOL and do you NEED to tell us?
Bigmet

Post by Bigmet »

And that's not all. Some will recall that a well known - now late - layout builder had to scrap and rebuild after an insect infestation was found in the plywood he had used in the layout frame. Birch ply from Scandinavia costs more for a reason. Better to wince up front at the price, and have no trouble thereafter...
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

What exactly are you hoping to construct :?:

If you are making rectangular boxes, say 3or 4 feet by 2 feet by 4 inches deep then 12mm will be suitable.

If you are looking at a fish tank set up with integral back and ends you can get away with something far skinnier, for something 5 feet by 18 inches by a foot deep I was satisfied with 6mm for the base and 4mm for the back and ends.