What would you use?

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
RAF96

Re: What would you use?

Post by RAF96 »

Just to add detail to my future framework. It will be 4-6” deep slotted half depth at joints so it assembles like the middle dividers of a an old milk/beer bottle crate. Joints at the perimeter can be notched or plain butt joints, especially at the bits that show front of scene.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.org.uk/robs_rails.html
β-tester
mahoganydog

Post by mahoganydog »

Hi Buelligan,

If you want to cut ply the best tool there is is a rail saw. Quick, accurate and perfect result every time but not cheap. Mine is also a plunge saw so I can depth set the blade quickly. Remember that clamps are optional with some and not made for others and you do need them when doing shorter cuts.

Some examples can be found here;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... =200&rt=nc

The other essential tool is a mitre saw and mine has done an awful lot of work. Cheap ones are common but beware, some use non-standard blade sizes so do a little research first! Try and find one that is either 255mm ish or 305mm blade side because they are easy to get you just need to be aware that the bore sizes vary a lot same with the rail saws.

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

Dublo wrote:Hi
Regarding the construction of your baseboard could you possibly cut everything to size, drill all holes etc in the garden beforehand. If you did all the prep work before you would effectively end up with a kit to assemble in the bedroom. That should cut down the time needed to erect the board in your children's bedroom.

Yes, I think that will have to be the plan. Though at this time of year I suppose the garage would be a better place, but with the amount of stuff I've got stacked up in there at the moment makes it difficult. Got a front and rear subframe + suspension arms on my work bench, and a Kyosho Fairwind yacht on the other bench.
RAFHAAA96 wrote:Just to add detail to my future framework. It will be 4-6” deep slotted half depth at joints so it assembles like the middle dividers of a an old milk/beer bottle crate. Joints at the perimeter can be notched or plain butt joints, especially at the bits that show front of scene.
Thanks, it does sound good, but I think for the finite life of this layout it wouldn't be worth the effort. Certainly the way I'd look at doing a future layout, would also make different levels easier to do I suppose?
mahoganydog wrote:Hi Buelligan,

If you want to cut ply the best tool there is is a rail saw. Quick, accurate and perfect result every time but not cheap. Mine is also a plunge saw so I can depth set the blade quickly. Remember that clamps are optional with some and not made for others and you do need them when doing shorter cuts.

Some examples can be found here;

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... =200&rt=nc

The other essential tool is a mitre saw and mine has done an awful lot of work. Cheap ones are common but beware, some use non-standard blade sizes so do a little research first! Try and find one that is either 255mm ish or 305mm blade side because they are easy to get you just need to be aware that the bore sizes vary a lot same with the rail saws.

Jim
Thanks, those are definitely out of my budget at the moment. I normally buy the cheapest screw fix has, and to be fair the £20 jigsaw is still going strong after 3 years. I did find the problem of the blade sizes with my mitre saw, again, the cheapest screw fix had, but when I went to buy a spare blade, the bore size was odd, and I couldn't find a spare. Still going though, and been used a fair bit for my Christmas crafts that I've done the last couple of years. This is the mitre saw I've got: http://www.free-instruction-manuals.com ... 404465.pdf

I was looking at a circular saw, though unless I do decide to do the plywood latticework, I shouldn't need one for this board.

Not sure what's going on, but the only place around here that can cut down a 1220x2440 board for me (no way of me getting it home otherwise), but all they seem to be completely out of stock of 9mm and 12mm plywood, unless I want marine ply, which is too expensive and unnecessary. Searching all stores within 50 miles of here they're completely out of stock in all stores!

The only reasonably priced stuff they've got is:

https://www.howarth-timber.co.uk/timber ... 0-x-2440mm

https://www.howarth-timber.co.uk/timber ... 0-x-2440mm

apart from that its 9mm or 12mm marine ply at £56 or £69 a sheet!
mahoganydog

Post by mahoganydog »

Hi Buelligan,

Wickes will deliver and their prices are close. No idea what their delivery charges are though but this at least would allow you to cut it at home.

Jigsaws... I've said it before, they are the shopping trolley of the powertool world and I wouldn't use one again after the blade in mine decided to wander nearly 5mm from a critical line. After ruining that sheet I bought my rail saw. An ordinary circular saw would cut ply OK but in my case I wanted repetitive accuracy hence my choice. Some circular saws are compatible with a rail system so do a little research here.

Saw blades can be sharpened.....

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?
Buelligan

Post by Buelligan »

mahoganydog wrote:Hi Buelligan,

Wickes will deliver and their prices are close. No idea what their delivery charges are though but this at least would allow you to cut it at home.

Jigsaws... I've said it before, they are the shopping trolley of the powertool world and I wouldn't use one again after the blade in mine decided to wander nearly 5mm from a critical line. After ruining that sheet I bought my rail saw. An ordinary circular saw would cut ply OK but in my case I wanted repetitive accuracy hence my choice. Some circular saws are compatible with a rail system so do a little research here.

Saw blades can be sharpened.....

Jim
Thanks I know they deliver, I'm just trying to avoid having to buy more tools and I think Wickes delivery is about £30. If Howarth get some more stock, or I use whatever they've got, and pay a few £'s for cutting, it'll save a lot compared to £50+ for a saw, and the £30 for the delivery.

I've never tried cutting a long sheet with the jigsaw, just use it for small things, I make wooden Christmas tree and put lights in them to sell, for which the jigsaws ability to cut tight corners is perfect! I think for a long cut I'd be more likely to use a panel saw than try and cut it with the jigsaw! Certainly can't afford the extra for the rail saw, and each section I need is a different size, so repeat cuts aren't necessary.

Still trying to figure out the most efficient way to cut what I need out of the smallest amount of ply.