Height of base board.

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
Dad-1

Re: Height of base board.

Postby Dad-1 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:05 pm

Calm it Boys !!

Dave is right in as much that an organiser has to try and get what will fit
the space, is affordable in time & cost for both exhibition managers and exhibit
owners, and will hopefully attract visitors.

The trouble has been not knowing, or asking what I think is a reasonable question.
I've never been involved with organising an exhibition, but know It includes making
lists of available exhibits and as much detail as you can pack into some "Black Book"
When you eventually are on the invited list a registration form asks :-

Name
Number of operators
Required stand size W and D with rough layout detail ........... but never height.
If any tables or seats required
Power Requirements.

Perhaps at this juncture that question as to suitability for wheelchair users should
be asked. While it'll never be a perfect world perhaps we should learn and try to do
better. Knowing which are easily seen could/should allow a location most suitable.
It's not much good having accessible halls if the next logical step on viewing exhibits
is not taken ?

Anyway I think we have left the OP's request behind - Fix it at what suits YOU !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

b308

Postby b308 » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:16 pm

Dad-1 wrote:When you eventually are on the invited list a registration form asks :-

<snip>
Required stand size W and D with rough layout detail ........... but never height.
<snip>

At the end of the day it is down to the Exhibition Manager, I don't know of many that would invite a layout "unseen" so they should already know at what height the layout is presented from a previous viewing or (if it is unseen) from previous layouts from that individual...

From experience the length and width are the most important to try to fit everyone in but even that can go wrong!! :)

Dave

Postby Dave » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:31 pm

b308 wrote: I don't know of many that would invite a layout "unseen"

If your reputation is good enough you get invites as soon as soon as you mention a new project.

Anyway as Geoff says we have deviated of the original question :oops:

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:04 am

I did see one exhibition layout (more of a large diorama) where it was intended to show of some spectacular buildings in a street scene and so was pitched at a high level. The builder had very thoughtfully constructed a periscope (2 mirrors in a cardboard tube) which he gave to anyone in a wheelchair so that they could get the street level view. You also have to consider the backs of the upright majority.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 8:33 am

Yes, Bufferstop, the St Albans exhibition also issues their own periscopes, though aimed at kids rather than adults. I am pleased to hear that at least one exhibitor has their own, most leave it to the organiser! The periscope can also be used the other way up! ;)

Yes, Dave, I agree and I did say that the builder's reputation may result in a layout being invited unseen later in that sentence, it does happen, though not often. The OP asked what the "ideal" baseboard height was so I don't think we've strayed off topic. There are many things which can affect what the ideal height is, some of which are:

1. How it is meant to be viewed (from above or eye level for instance)
2. Location if at home - on top of shelves, for instance, table top, on a bed... all can affect the height
3. Is it intended for exhibition

There's no right answer, though if it is a "home" layout then I'd mount at a height where it is easily worked on, around a meter or so high, I use old kitchen units in my railway room (I have a feeling many others do as well, best combination of storage and flat tops known to the Railway Modeller for home use!!) and the layout goes on top of them. If I want to view at eye level I sit down on the seat I use for my workbench!

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Mar 03, 2017 11:33 am

shezza2 wrote:Hi all, is there a standard height for a base board, or what height do members prefer?

Sticking with the original question (reading between the lines about exhibition layouts, baring in mind
viewtopic.php?t=51057#p626239 shezza2 is presumably talking about a home layout), simply:-
"is there a standard height for a base board" - NO
"what height do members prefer" - DIVERSE
The range is from Zero (Garden railways are often on the floor) to two meters (see thread on here for "plate rack layout" above doorways), the more usual being desktop height, with some working their way towards eye level. It's entirely down to personal preference and sometimes building/loft constraints.
I think the more definitive definition might be as high as possible within the limits of what the maximum height of surface is, that you can still reach all parts without squishing whats under your tummy :D (higher if you don't mind getting the stool out)
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 12:20 pm

TimberSurf more or less says it all.

Just been out at my garage. St Oval has track bed that is 50" from the ground.
It's too high for comfortable working, but good for watching.
It's that high as I use underneath for storage of bicycles, lawn mower and all
sorts of other stuff.
WHEN, not IF, I have trouble behind the back scene I need a step ladder !!

Geoff T.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:21 pm

The periscope can also be used the other way up!

As seen at Bourton and other large scale model villages. With the availability of cheap miniature video cameras I'm waiting to see the layout that gives all viewers the signalman's view, the view from the platform and even the front seat passenger's view from a first generation DMU.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Fri Mar 03, 2017 2:46 pm

Bufferstop,

All we need is a small and simple wifi connection between one of the
keyfob cameras and computer. I can't understand why we don't have
that already ?
Yes, the keyfob camera quality is crappy and even worse in poor light,
but I have done a couple of videos ....... Don't think I ever put on
Youtube.

Geoff T.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:19 pm

Dad-1 wrote: I can't understand why we don't have that already ?

We do!
Any Gopro or equivalent (like my SJCAM SJ4000 Full HD 1080P {now £40}) is small enough to fit to a train and comes with an app for your phone, to take full control and watch live on the phone! (As well as record)

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:24 pm

Just to satisfy my curiosity / inquistive mind would you possibly have a web link to that camera please Timbersurf?
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:22 pm

Just Google SJ4000

End2end

Postby End2end » Fri Mar 03, 2017 10:25 pm

Thank you Timbersurf. :)
Wow what a price difference compared to some of the GoPro cams. :o
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Tinker

Postby Tinker » Wed May 10, 2017 8:54 am

My Layout height is enough for me to able to sit under the layout to do the wiring in comfort so it comes down to how tall the operator is, i also have variable height legs to support the layout these are a shoulder at the top to attach to the layout 3" x 1" struts and the other end a 1/2" dowel bonded in the bottom this dowel goes into a hole in the floor so the support lags can's be knocked out of place, should the layout require leveling to make it higher place a washer or 2 on the dowel to raise the support, lowering is just a matter of taking a bit off the top shoulder....
Motive Power Supervisor

RAFHAAA96

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Fri May 19, 2017 11:15 am

There was a 'fun' layout once that was built upside down on a ceiling, presumably the trains attracted to the rails by very strong magnets.

Taking that mag-adhesion logic to exhibitions you could have a layout at a 45 deg angle allowing the customers a prime view. Not sure what ill effects it would have on loco mechanisms though.

Come to think of it the angle idea may work in part for any modular layout for ease of access to either top or bottom when being worked on obviously without rolling stock.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.co.uk

Return to “Baseboard Design and Construction”