sliding under baseboard workspace suggestions

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
alex3410

sliding under baseboard workspace suggestions

Postby alex3410 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:10 am

hi guys,

i am quickly running out of workspace on my layout as i lay the track, so it got me thinking is it possible to mount a workspace under the layout on sliders so it can be pulled in / out when needed?

thoughts and comments welcome, thanks in advance :)

Ex-Pat

Re: sliding under baseboard workspace suggestions

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:35 am

All such things are possible, but however you do it, I would suggest it has fold down legs to support it when out.

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Tue Jan 03, 2017 11:42 am

Have a look at those old computer desks with the slide out keyboard shelf. You might be able to adapt the concept to your layout. Should be quite straight forward. But as mentioned, may need legs for support if you intend to do anything heavier than light modelling.

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:17 pm

i don't think i will have room for fold out legs. I only want it for light modelling use & at the moment the biggest thing would be soldering.

i have spotted these: Double Fully Extension Ball Bearing Drawer Slide Runners Heavy Duty (20" 500mm Closed - 1010mm Open) which say they support 45KG which should be more then enough? Its just getting them connected up which might be trouble.

something like this which screws up would be easier to fit. I guess i need something in between.

I have had a quick look in local wilko and hardware store but nothing, it might be a case of ordering them and having a play

Dad-1

Postby Dad-1 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:43 pm

He, He, I'll stir things up !!

Alex, JUST tidy up occasionally !!
Put things away into regular storage spaces if
not being used for the next week, or so ....

Keeping stuff in my shed, garage, loft, kitchen cupboard
and the hobby/computer room it's easy to get what you
want when you want it ........ Only if you remember which
location to look in !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:51 pm

Its tidy at the moment, well relatively :lol: see update on my layout thread

The problem i am having (which is only going to get worse as the rest of the track goes down) is having a safe flat area to model on / solder / service locos etc.

i thought by having a slide out shelf i could do what i needed and fold it away after, this would need to be slid away as space in the middle is limited - this would force me to keep it tidy, in theory :?

what i dont want to end up doing is having to pop back into the house each time i need to do something

End2end

Postby End2end » Tue Jan 03, 2017 2:06 pm

Rack shelves. Heavy duty and can be installed either way up to make a shelf or deeper shelf.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1U-Penn-Elcom ... SwImRYX~ib

My installed rack shelf although not deep enough to be used as a drawer.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PENN-19-1U-BL ... oJXRVNW-Aw

Hope it helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:05 pm

Do you have a clear space between baseboard supports? (Clear from underside of boards to floor). I have a space like this under my workbench and it houses an Ikea plan chest, on heavy duty castors. The draws are A1 size and about 3" deep. The top two hold spare stock standing in thick cardboard edge protectors from self assembly shelving that forms channels just right for 00 stock. Then in the next one down the same card other way up, this gives 3 rows of roof shapes with acrylic paint bottles stored on the slant, along with shoebox lids as trays for Humbrol style tinlets and jars. The bottom two are slightly deeper and hold scenic materials. The top is covered with a double layer of corrugated card taped firmly in place, and the whole thing rolls out when extra work space is needed.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Tue Jan 03, 2017 5:05 pm

My workbench is in our lounge and is a computer workstation full of Ikea drawer thingies, the keyboard shelf forms the working area when pulled out. When folded away with the doors shut it matches the normal sideboard next to it. (Well, it would if the top surface wasn't permanently covered in all the half finished stuff which won't fit in the drawer thingies and regularly expands sideways along the mantelpiece. We need a longer mantelpiece, I can only get five Mk1s on the current one.)

The reason for this rambling is that the idea works, but be sure you get proper captive ball bearing runners (which all those links are I think) and not the cheap crappy kitchen drawer versions mine uses, otherwise it all lands in your lap when they occasionally disengage. Mine will stand elbows leaning on it provided I don't lean too hard.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Jan 03, 2017 9:13 pm

@bufferstop - thats a good idea, i will have to have a browse next time i am at Ikea for some storage ideas. The trouble in this case is i need to crawl under the area to get in and out of the shed :lol: so need to keep the floor clear - another reason i am keen to avoid fold out legs.

@End2end - i like the look of those, they are a little more then i wanted to spend but its given me an idea - i can build the box bit out of wood and attach it in the same way as that using the shelf sliders. With this in mind i have ordered a set of the heavy duty sliders and will give it a try. If it works i can do it all for £8 (for the sliders) as i have scraps of wood that should be suitable. I have ordered the 30cm ones which might be a little small but i think its a case of trying it and seeing. I can always install a 2nd one if it works or just replace the existing one at some point

@stuartp - thats a brilliant idea, i had not considered it before, not for the shed but when i have to give up my modelling desk in the spare room when we have kids it will prove to be very handy - make sure you remind me when i post in a year or so asking about it :lol:

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:32 pm

i have posted an update in my layout thread

Thanks for all of your help, i have built and installed a shelf using draw runners, pleased with the result (see above link) - will just have to see if it stands up after use :lol:

Thanks again

Return to “Baseboard Design and Construction”