Bridging the Gap - Competition entry.

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
User avatar
glencairn
Posts: 2663
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:09 pm
Location: Both sides of the Border

Re: Bridging the Gap - Competition entry.

Postby glencairn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:25 am

Bridge dismantled from layout therefore able to run trains as previous.
SAM_0715.JPG
SAM_0715.JPG (93.85 KiB) Viewed 481 times


Old pieces of board replaced at Sovereign Street Station and Falkland Station


??? Where did he come from?
SAM_0708.JPG
SAM_0708.JPG (115.91 KiB) Viewed 481 times


One competition entry finished.

The idea of the bridge was to be able to give my locomotives a 'run', yet to be able to dismantle it so I could run trains as previous and get to the fiddle yard which is behind Falkland Station. --- Then I realise, when the bridge is in situ, I can run -say - A 'Railtour Special' etc. on the whole layout. :D Possibilities. Possibilities. :D

Now I can 'relax' and watch everyone else in the competition.

Thanks Alex for organising it.

Glencairn
Attachments
SAM_0714.JPG
SAM_0714.JPG (143.3 KiB) Viewed 481 times
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

User avatar
Lancastrian
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:33 am
Location: Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Bridging the Gap - Competition entry.

Postby Lancastrian » Wed Jan 11, 2017 11:37 am

A worthwhile project with a good conclusion. I like the way that it can be removed and replaced so easily, and with or without out it you have a workable layout . Well done. :D
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

User avatar
alex3410
Posts: 3378
Joined: Wed Nov 14, 2012 4:39 pm
Location: Essex

Re: Bridging the Gap - Competition entry.

Postby alex3410 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 12:20 pm

Its been an interesting project to follow, the result works really well! Thanks for taking the time to share it.




glencairn wrote:Now I can 'relax' and watch everyone else in the competition.

Your just rubbing it in now :lol: I have not made any progress this week & this weekends not looking to good either :roll:

glencairn wrote:Thanks Alex for organising it.

Thanks, its been worth the effort getting to follow the projects!

User avatar
Dave
Posts: 727
Joined: Tue Feb 15, 2005 12:20 pm
Location: Up North

Re: Bridging the Gap - Competition entry.

Postby Dave » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:30 pm

One competition entry finished.

Only just finishing the woodwork on my project :shock:

Well done though, it has given me food for thought: When the weather gets a bit better I will be building a new layout around the shed. It will require a lift up section, I may just have some scenic bits on it now.

User avatar
glencairn
Posts: 2663
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:09 pm
Location: Both sides of the Border

Re: Bridging the Gap - Competition entry.

Postby glencairn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 2:18 pm

Dave wrote:
One competition entry finished.

Only just finishing the woodwork on my project :shock:

Well done though, it has given me food for thought: When the weather gets a bit better I will be building a new layout around the shed. It will require a lift up section, I may just have some scenic bits on it now.


Thanks Dave ------ The bridge although only having a single track can (in the future) if plans change, be a double track bridge.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

User avatar
glencairn
Posts: 2663
Joined: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:09 pm
Location: Both sides of the Border

Re: Bridging the Gap - Competition entry.

Postby glencairn » Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:37 pm

Lancastrian wrote:A worthwhile project with a good conclusion. I like the way that it can be removed and replaced so easily, and with or without out it you have a workable layout . Well done. :D


Thanks Lancastrian. I am glad I have achieved what I wanted.

Just a thought ---- The bridge stretches from Leeds Sovereign Street to Falkland in the Kingdom of Fife. Is this the longest bridge in the world. :lol:

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

User avatar
Lancastrian
Posts: 1305
Joined: Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:33 am
Location: Lancashire
Contact:

Re: Bridging the Gap - Competition entry.

Postby Lancastrian » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:17 pm

glencairn wrote:
Lancastrian wrote:A worthwhile project with a good conclusion. I like the way that it can be removed and replaced so easily, and with or without out it you have a workable layout . Well done. :D


Thanks Lancastrian. I am glad I have achieved what I wanted.

Just a thought ---- The bridge stretches from Leeds Sovereign Street to Falkland in the Kingdom of Fife. Is this the longest bridge in the world. :lol:

Glencairn
....or is a bridge too far? :D
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

Dad-1
Posts: 5544
Joined: Sun Aug 24, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Dorset - A mile from West Bay.

Re: Bridging the Gap - Competition entry.

Postby Dad-1 » Wed Jan 11, 2017 9:50 pm

I like the idea of room to expand - It's crying out for double track !!
Nicely done. AND finished already !!

Geoff T.
Remember ... I know nothing about railways.
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32187 and Another on viewtopic.php?f=22&t=28436&start=60&st=0&sk=t&sd=a


Return to “Baseboard Design and Construction”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest