Baseboard Prep & Future Mods

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
tigerbrew

Baseboard Prep & Future Mods

Postby tigerbrew » Sun Nov 27, 2016 1:58 pm

I've got my ideas set out about construction of my baseboard, (9mm Birch faced) but I notice that when some modelers come to make major modifications to track layout and scenery changes it seems quite a task removing all the old glued down ballast, vegetation, plaster of paris etc etc when creating new areas on existing layouts, leading to a rather tatty mess of the nice ply that was originally used. We all know how old PVA takes some getting rid of.
To try and get around this I thought about using 1mm modeling card stuck down with 50mm wide double sided tape onto varnished birch faced, perhaps every square foot or so, then gluing cork track bed to the card along with ballast, scenery etc so that when any major mods are made I can cut out any areas to be removed and all there is to remove from the ply base is a bit of double sided tape, easy done with a drop of white spirit.
Does anyone see any obvious problems with doing that or has anyone used any other methods of making major mods esier further down the line as it were.
The only problem I can see is if the card "mounds up" a little bit in places but good quality card and carpet tape should overcome that.

Cheers, Steve
There's nothing wrong with sobriety but only in moderation.

NakatsuHime

Re: Baseboard Prep & Future Mods

Postby NakatsuHime » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:26 pm

This is quite a good idea for another reason.

If a building / accessory needs to be moved, all one has to do is score round the perimeter, which would make the building much easier to lift.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sun Nov 27, 2016 4:38 pm

All of my scenery even the flat ground is built on layers of brown paper from triple wall postage sacks, stuck down and laminated where necessary by half strength PVA. Releasing it is fairly easy using a hand held steam cleaner and a decorators scraper. Three or four layers of it built up for hills etc doesn't need plaster and dries to a hard shell, which shows up brown if any grass gets rubbed off and is quite strong enough to support the cat when it's trying to gain my attention.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

GWR_fan

Postby GWR_fan » Wed Nov 30, 2016 9:49 pm

The problem I see is keeping the track flat. What spoils many layouts is undulating trackwork not properly restrained. The plastic 'underlay' will expand and contract as it is not permanently held down. The nice shiny varnished ply surface is expendable and is only a surface to attach the railway to. I cannot see why potential damage to the nice birch ply surface is so important to you. It is easy enough to remove any scenery should a change be desired.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Thu Dec 08, 2016 9:51 am

My experience is that external PVA glue is waterproof! Once set, it will not "re-melt" with water or steam!
Cheap 'Internal' PVA glue will however soften even after years with water and can easily be scraped off.
I am currently laying my track with Copydex and have had to take sections up and readjust frequently as I go, its easy to slip a knife under track and cut it free! I am laying everything on 3mm closed cell foam over the base board, using PVA to glue it down, but again, it adheres well (even though its plastic) but sliding a knife under it allows it to be detached easily.
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Return to “Baseboard Design and Construction”