OO 8 x 4 - a sensible enough place to start?

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
LittleSkink

Re: OO 8 x 4 - a sensible enough place to start?

Postby LittleSkink » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:53 pm

had another tinker - will the tinkering never end! - and now have a proper double loop with 'round and round again' (or whatever it is supposed to be called), still messing with good area but I am content to get the loops right as phase 1 of the build and then judge where the landscape and stuff will go - really dont want to stuff it full of track

the build will be DCC and is intended to run 2, maybe even 3, locos at once - one passenger on the loops, one freight fiddling

b308

Postby b308 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:11 pm

OK you now have a double track oval! You can run three trains with that, one on each circuit and one shunting. I'd get rid of the section of track past the station and that diamond crossing.

You have the crossover from the outer to the inner track, add another going the other way (from the inner to the outer) just after it. That does what that strange piece of track with the diamond crossing does but a lot simpler and more prototypical!

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Mar 17, 2016 12:37 am

LittleSkink wrote:had another tinker - will the tinkering never end! - and now have a proper double loop with 'round and round again' (or whatever it is supposed to be called), still messing with good area but I am content to get the loops right as phase 1 of the build and then judge where the landscape and stuff will go - really dont want to stuff it full of track

the build will be DCC and is intended to run 2, maybe even 3, locos at once - one passenger on the loops, one freight fiddling

That's an improvement on your previous sketch, apart from the short loop with the diamond crossing, which doesn't achieve anything now.

Are you definitely back to one level for this plan: we looked at looped 8's with gradients when you had a smaller area in mind...

This was a recent assembly of mine, following a post about scissors crossovers in OO

Use that in a double oval (with the slight dent to the inside : put a signalbox on the outside_. and you will have both the twin track option and the twice-round looped 8 option available in a compact space.

For the the turntable: what is your longest loco?
The Atlas 9" turntable is quiet and efficient and takes up far less space than the bigger Hornby version (I've never heard a quiet one.)
It won't handle large pacific locos, so if those are likely to appear, that's a non-starter.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ATLAS-MANUALLY-OPERATED-TURNTABLE-HO-SCALE-305-NEW-NIB-/131741643764?hash=item1eac69f3f4:g:w98AAOSwaNBUbP3v
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atlas-305-Manually-Operated-Railroad-Turntable-Ready-Assembled-H0-00-Gauge-T48Po-/121838867075?hash=item1c5e299283:g:EbUAAOSwnipWbE~r (add cost of motor kit: very variable indeed!)
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Return to “Baseboard Design and Construction”