Size of well

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
Harry

Size of well

Postby Harry » Thu Oct 22, 2015 1:28 pm

If I build a baseboard with a well in the middle, so that I can duck under the board to the well and have all-round access, what sort of dimensions should it be, to allow enough room to avoid snagging things when I turn round, while not wasting too much space?

stuartp

Re: Size of well

Postby stuartp » Thu Oct 22, 2015 3:29 pm

Big enough to turn round in without catching your elbows on things - you might have to experiment to find out exactly how big that is.

Pile some things up on your kitchen worktop to bring it up to proposed baseboard height and see how much room you need.
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Thu Oct 22, 2015 4:28 pm

Do it the LNER way, line up the chairs in a corner and see how big a space you need-Just like SNG did when he worked out the width of a corridor in his tenders.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:04 pm

this is how i figured mine out, made it larger then i could have to give me some movement room & so you can fit a 2nd person in at a squeeze! See it taking shape here if your interested

i dont have the dimensions to hand though! but its best to play around yourself to see what your happy with

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:07 pm

double post (sorry) but have found a plan:

Imageplan by Alex Wells, on Flickr

the sheds 8ft so working from that and figures in plan (so very very rough!) my well is around 1.3M

but like i said its larger then it could be

Roger (RJ)

Postby Roger (RJ) » Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:40 pm

You need a bigger space than you may initially think. You need more room to be able to move to a standing position when you have ducked under the baseboard. The lower the baseboard is, the bigger the well needs to be.
If at first you don't succeed - cheat
Anyone who is willing to stand for political office isn't fit to be in political office

https://www.modelrailwayforum.co.uk

Rog (RJ)

RAFHAAA96

Postby RAFHAAA96 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:04 pm

I agree with Rog in that you may need more room than you think as you probably also need space for your control panel, controller(s), etc, whether by way of fixed platforms or pull out drawers, etc.
RAF Halton Brat - 96th Entry
http://www.halton96th.co.uk

Return to “Baseboard Design and Construction”