New to this so PLEASE HELP!

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
andm76

Re: New to this so PLEASE HELP!

Postby andm76 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 8:05 pm

Just an update on my layout,

the board is being delivered on Tuesday then the fun will begin :D

the layout has been finalised as a working prototype see attached, this will no doubt evolve as the project progresses.

my next obstacle is drawing the markings on the board for the tracks etc, how is the best way to do this? any suggestions :?:
Attachments
Layout 2 pic.jpg
Layout 2 pic.jpg (145.29 KiB) Viewed 445 times

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:31 pm

The power feed should be anywhere on the left hand side of the oval. NOT between the top point and the signal box on the right.

With one controller, you don't need any insulating rail joiners.
But in terms of swapping trains it could pay to divide the oval up into three electrical sections, using a single feed to the inside rail of the loop for each section.
Section 1 from the fishplate to the left on the signal box to the fish plate at (but not including) the point for the long platform siding.
Section 2 from the long platform point (including it) to the fishplate half-way down the left-hand side.
Section 3 from there to the fishplate to the left of the signal box. Three insulating joiners in all.

The advantage?
A train is waiting on the inside loop platform (section 1) with power to this turned off.
A train in the long siding can leave, sections 2 and 3 having power. Coming to a halt in section 3 before hitting the rear of train in section 1.
Turn off section 3, turn on section 1. The train at the platform, oval side, can now move forward to section 2 and reverse into the long siding while the train on the oval, (In section 3) does not move. With only one train now on the oval all three sections can be made live.
With the oval as one section there's not really anywhere to put a second train.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

andm76

Postby andm76 » Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:46 pm

Thanks for the advice, I like the idea of splitting it into 3 parts to be honest I just don't understand the principle of fishplates and where they should be located :D

Without sounding cheeky I do t suppose you could mark the exact location for me

The power track is on the left anyway it's R8206

Thanks in advance

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sun Aug 23, 2015 10:42 pm

Isolate just inside rail and run one wire from all 3 section's section's inside rail via an on/off switch to the main feed wire.
A single wire can run to the outside rail, as that is a complete oval.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Return to “Baseboard Design and Construction”