Advice regarding base board legs

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
AustralisRico

Advice regarding base board legs

Postby AustralisRico » Sun Aug 09, 2015 7:36 am

Hey,

I'm looking at building my layout inside and will make it modular for simple dismantlement. Now the big question is what to sit the thing on, should I get A frame legs or am I better off building a frame and legs myself? Please note I would have to buy tools to build a table off the base board where as the A frame legs can simply have the board sat on them.

Any advice on how to achieve this without spending too much on tools?

AlunKimber

Re: Advice regarding base board legs

Postby AlunKimber » Sun Aug 09, 2015 8:40 am

I build legs like this: http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=24042&view=findpost&p=273479 and then connect them to the baseboard via some bolts that stick 20 mm out of the bottom of the baseboard into corresponding holes on the tops of the legs for alignment and then via some small blocks on the bottom of the baseboard connected to small diagonals on the legs with a wing nut and a bolt (so it can be done by hand)http://www.modelrailforum.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=23943&view=findpost&p=293197.
I have since found that it's worth having a thinner piece of wood close to the ground connecting the two legs legs to make sure they are at the same distance at the ground as they are at the top, it that makes sense.
Cheers
Alun

mahoganydog

Postby mahoganydog » Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:13 am

Hi AustralisRico,

There is another option, find some cheap folding wooden tables (NOT paste tables, too weak). The alternative is some plastic ones with metal frames and legs, this is what I use on a permanent layout because I was feeling lazy and had the tables already!

Jim
In a world of fences and doors who needs windows and gates?

AustralisRico

Postby AustralisRico » Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:50 am

Hey Mahoganydog,

Yeah the hard part is finding said tables.

I went to Bunnings today (hardware store) and got some prices and measurements.

I was thinking (measurements in mm):
Board - 2400 x 1200 - $29 each
Frame and legs wood - 2400 x 90 x34 - $5.88 each, structural pine
Bolts - 4x 3/8 - $1.05 each - To set legs up for folding.

Just deciding weather I want to bolt them to fold up or instead build the legs as a stiff frame and simply sit the board on top via wood blocks to lock it in. This needs to be something that can be moved some day in future when I move out.

The room is 5m long by 3.6m wide, so the board will have to be done in parts. One side of the room I will be using only 3m of the length and the other has the whole 5m, so the train will turn around and go back creating a semi U shape.

Return to “Baseboard Design and Construction”