How much glue?

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
cheshiregal

How much glue?

Postby cheshiregal » Mon Jul 20, 2015 7:31 pm

Hi,

Totally new here :)

My Dad is making a board for my son. I've just ordered some cork from Cantrills and I'm just about to order some Copydex glue (to glue to the plywood), but I don't know how much to order? Does anyone have any idea; I haven't got a clue!

The board is going to be just over 6ft x 4ft

Many thanks in advance for any help.

Cheshiregal

Ex-Pat

Re: How much glue?

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:04 pm

cheshiregal wrote:Hi,

Totally new here :)

I haven't got a clue!

Cheshiregal

Welcome Cheshiregal, and should that be "I haven't got a glue"?!

Sorry I don't know the answer but, to help those who might, are you intending to cover the entire 6ft x 4ft board in cork, or just the areas that will carry track?

If the latter then what sort of layout do you envisage?

cheshiregal

Postby cheshiregal » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:36 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your response :D

Yes, we are covering the whole board in the cork sheets (1/8th inch). I know it's a very debatable point, but we are doing it for sound-proofing, as my son has autism and is hyper-sensitive to sound.

It's just that I've got to order the glue and send it to my dad and I don't want him to run out, but equally I don't want to buy a huge bottle or multiple bottles, when only one or two is required - I'm not sure if you have to use a lot of glue or not?

Many thanks

Cheshiregal

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Mon Jul 20, 2015 9:00 pm

it seems that Copydex is made by Henkel.

If no forum member knows the answer then I suggest you find a supplier and look at a tin for any information.

Alternatively you could use the "Contact us" facility on their website:

http://www.henkel.co.uk/adhesives-seala ... gs-787.htm

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:39 pm

I used neat woodworking strength PVA, darned sight cheaper and I've had no problems with it lifting, if your doing the whole sheet it would be even less likely to lift.
PS If you need soundproofing, don't use glued down ballast, this is one situation where I'd say use foam track underlay.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

cheshiregal

Postby cheshiregal » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:25 am

Thanks very much for your replies :D

We did have a second-hand board from eBay that we were going to use instead of starting from scratch and that had foam underlay. I was hoping however that the cork board would be enough on its own? It seems pretty expensive for the foam underlay and I've read quite a bit from other people saying it doesn't last? We got our cork from Cantrill, because it was recommended as a cork that did not disintegrate over time. I know it's not the done thing, but we were not going to use ballast! My son isn't worried about that - he just wants a board where his trains will run smoothly, with long sidings to hold his trains :D

Thanks for the website - will definitely go on that.

Thanks again

Cheshiregal

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:16 am

cheshiregal wrote:Thanks very much for your replies :D

It seems pretty expensive for the foam underlay and I've read quite a bit from other people saying it doesn't last?

Cheshiregal

That is very true of the "old fashioned foam", but the modern "closed cell foam" is virtually indestructible.

https://www.efoam.co.uk/closed-cell-pol ... e-foam.php

alex3410

Postby alex3410 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:30 am

use PVA and order more then you think you will need as in this hobby you will end up using it for allot more things then you think :lol:

the other benefit is that you can normally pick it up locally fairly easily so if you run out its not as hard to replace (ie you wont need to wait for it to come in the post)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Jul 21, 2015 12:58 pm

Just make sure you get the undiluted PVA, not the stuff builders use for sealing concrete floors. (It's too diluted). I've used Copydex in the past it's definitely harder work to spread it, and it's a swine to remove from clothes or anything else that it strays to.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:08 pm

Buy a large quantity of glue - Copydex is fine - but enough to cover the entire surface of the cork with one layer - and the entire surface of the board with another layer. But you can do this in several strips of cork.

Do not try to get away with squiggles of glue on small sections of the cork though. There is a thread on another forum from a chap who, last year, glued his cork down with squiggles of glue as in the manner of floor tiles, and two days later posted a heart breaking story about how the whole lot had blistered and bubbled and come away.

I would suggest two packs each of 250 ml.

cheshiregal

Postby cheshiregal » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:11 pm

Thanks for the reply - I'll buy a big bottle :)

Thanks - I'll warn my Dad, as my mum won't be best pleased if he gets it everywhere! :evil:

Cheshiregal

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Tue Jul 21, 2015 1:26 pm

cheshiregal wrote:Thanks for the reply - I'll buy a big bottle :)

Thanks - I'll warn my Dad, as my mum won't be best pleased if he gets it everywhere! :evil:

Cheshiregal

Copydex is very forgiving - it doesn't slop out about - but if you do get any on a forbidden surface it just rolls off under your thumb like that snot stuff they use to attach freebies to magazines.

It's easier to find 250 ml packs on Ebay than in the shops by the way.

cheshiregal

Postby cheshiregal » Tue Jul 21, 2015 5:43 pm

Thanks - I'll take a look at eBay - need to post as petrol more expensive than the glue!

Cheshiregal

pointstaken

Postby pointstaken » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:49 pm

May I suggest that you wear a disposable boiler suit or similar while you are using it. They can be thrown away when you are finished, and probably cheaper than trying to get it cleaned after you are done.

Dennis
I know nothing, but much I believe

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:17 pm

pointstaken wrote:May I suggest that you wear a disposable boiler suit or similar while you are using it. They can be thrown away when you are finished, and probably cheaper than trying to get it cleaned after you are done.

Dennis

From one who has used a lot of Copydex - you cannot be serious man!!

Return to “Baseboard Design and Construction”