baseboard leg ideas

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
markh

baseboard leg ideas

Post by markh »

Hi chaps, im in need for a bit of help in redoing the legs for my small N guage layout, i tried today & failed to add two cross braces & hinges to back of the legs, but it hasnt worked out,

When i take the layout to shows i place one set of legs inside the plywood baseboard sides, then place another pair inside the frame, and place a bolt in to each leg, but it soon made it unstable and wobble,

I have been thinking of some form of floding leg desgine so the legs fold up inside the board or are sperate and fold up,

The board is 3.8ft X 2.3ft with a 1 inche frame of two plywood strips with blocks of wood placed in between,
SP_A0982.jpg
SP_A0982.jpg (23.08 KiB) Viewed 3765 times
So and advice on how to do the legs,

Mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

BUT IM ALL ABOUT BAD IDEAS
Admin4

Re: baseboard leg ideas

Post by Admin4 »

Have you thought about using a fold down table instead? it might take allot of the trouble out of it all
markh

Post by markh »

Cheers Alex3410 , I might try that,

Mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

Buggleskelly

Post by Buggleskelly »

Why not try some sawhorses. There are quite a few designs to choose from e.g
http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-sawho ... 547_BQ.prd
Admin4

Post by Admin4 »

if you do go that route and can see them in person i would recommend it - i got a pair from ikia but turned out to be really cheap and nasty, then i got a pair from screwfix which fold down but are not overly sturdy

the second set are brilliant for woodworking but i don't know if i would trust them with my layout.

if you can find a pair that are decent quality they would probably be better then the table as they would fold down smaller and can be carried individually if needed

I guess you could also add another if you needed / wanted to expanded in the future

also you could space them perfectly for your layout rather then having bits of table sticking out or your layout hanging over the edge
markh

Post by markh »

Cheers, i may go for a small table for when its at fome, & two saw horses for shows,

Mark
THIS IS A BAD IDEA,

skyblue

Post by skyblue »

B&Q do some trestle legs which I have supporting my layout permanently at home. They are very sturdy and made of wood. Sorry, I can't post a link though as I'm in a hurry.
Kentishman

Post by Kentishman »

How high do you want the layout to be when it's set up?
Emettman

Post by Emettman »

My current exhibition layout relies on tables being available at the venue, but I've been trying to think of how to get a set of
easy/cheap/stable stable legs that folded to a minimum space.

I even looked at the possibility of inflatable cubes, but that route failed on a combination of size/price issues.

I've seen a few articles for cardboard fold-away chairs and stools, and that still seems like a feasible route

I knocked up this 1/12 scale model last night, for a 3ft high box giving a 2ft x 2ft top. (you'd need two)

The sides are 2ft and 4ft (to concertina to 2ft)

It folds down to 3ft by 2ft by 8 thicknesses of card, here 1 thickness of a thin cereal packet.
at 1/12 scale I got a heavy metal saucepan plus 4kg of liquid on top and got nowhere near its load limit.

Chris.
(Can't help thinking out of the box?)
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."