storage space

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
negativepitch

storage space

Postby negativepitch » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:52 pm

Hi
I will soon be able to have all three walls of my garage (new build house) trouble is, the wife will let me do this as long as there is a LOT of storage space underneath,Practically the full run…the board will be around two feet wide or slightly more, Im not to sure as yet…three would be great.
I also need to store my tool boxes etc.
Does anyone have any ideas for this, this will be my first ever layout.
Many Thanks for any replies.

alex3410

Re: storage space

Postby alex3410 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:59 pm

You will get plenty of space under the layout!

the first thing to think about is the height of the layout, my latest one (see link in footer for my build thread) has been done for standing and is higher then my past layout but a brilliant side effect is there is more space under the layout for storage.

I have also built it using L-Girder Construction method more info here however i would suggest researching it (you tube videos are brilliant for getting your head around it) to make sure its suitable for you

the benefit of it is there is less need for supports for the structure as a whole but you can have more supports for the top easily, my shed layout has (had before i built shelves lol) full access under the boards as each of the supports for the baseboards are right up against the walls - again see my build thread for pics.

Good luck with it and make sure you take lots of pics :D

negativepitch

Postby negativepitch » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:36 pm

Thanks very much Alex.
Really helpful, just cant wait to get started once everything else is sorted.

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Mon Oct 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Storage space under, first layout.
Hmm. First layouts are very liable to change.
(Also factor in ho likely a house move might be in the next N years!)

Do you know Rommel's dictum?
"If you have a difficult job to do, give it to a lazy man. He will find an easy way to do it."
Works for me.

Here's my lazy or out-of-the-box answer.

I would consider multiple sets of push-together plastic shelves.
That gives you your storage, and while most of them would want to be at about chest-of-drawer height, where a tunnel or hidden sidings might be wanted it would be quite possible to run the layout on an intermediate shelf, and have that unit extend one, two or three shelved higher.
They need not be touching or continuous: baseboards of 3-4 ft could "bridge" between two sets of shelves, giving an open space below for a different storage unit such as a chest, if needed.

All the storage in place and the working surface on which the railway baseboards will lay: one day. No screws or glue.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Mon Oct 27, 2014 1:25 pm

My baseboards sit on top of shelves, in my case bookshelves. One thing I would do differently if doing it again would be a thin slide out cover on top of the shelves or under the baseboard. Books aren't too bad but other items on the top shelf could wreak havoc with below board fittings if lifted too quickly. Also I have to vacuum the tops of the books regularly to rid them of green flock and ballast.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

bsa77

Postby bsa77 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 10:32 am

My layout is 1m 30cm off the ground (although it is only 30cm's wide) and runs around 3 walls of my home office/workshop. For my desk area I have standard height home built desk which has 2 x 24inch monitors with space for larger if I needed.

The only thing that isn't on the desks because of the layout is my pillar drill.

This gives me a total of about 18 foot of desk/workbench with storage underneath most of it.

negativepitch

Postby negativepitch » Thu Nov 06, 2014 5:56 pm

sorry for not getting back to this, my touchpad went on the my macbook, so just had that replaced.
Thanks for all the feedback, some interesting idea to think about.
I havent started with any planning yet, not until I have decided on the space anyway. Played with a few ideas in my head, I would like to go for some heavy detailing on the design, so it would be easier to keep it small.
Im used to doing high detail dioramas in 1/35 scale and 1/6th after moving up from 1/72 many, many years ago, so hopefully I can bring that into play.
So keeping things small will help me with not running out of steam (no pun intended).

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Thu Nov 06, 2014 6:31 pm

You could do worse than old kitchen units - 2 feet deep and about 3'6" high or thereabouts, with a chipboard or plywood top. (I wouldn't build the layout directly onto it though, just treat it as a rough worktop).

B&Q used to do a value range but that seems to have died the death, if you know anyone who fancies a new kitchen see if you can blag the old units.

Failing that build a carcase from 1/2" chipboard or Sterling board, and bung some sliding doors on it. Sliding ones have the advantage that you don't have to faff about adjusting the hinges.

This was built on Ivar shelving units from Ikea, which gives you a much higher baseboard height if you want it, but only about 18" wide:

Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Thu Nov 06, 2014 7:17 pm

negativepitch wrote:sorry for not getting back to this, my touchpad went on the my macbook, so just had that replaced.
Thanks for all the feedback, some interesting idea to think about.
I havent started with any planning yet, not until I have decided on the space anyway. Played with a few ideas in my head, I would like to go for some heavy detailing on the design, so it would be easier to keep it small.
Im used to doing high detail dioramas in 1/35 scale and 1/6th after moving up from 1/72 many, many years ago, so hopefully I can bring that into play.
So keeping things small will help me with not running out of steam (no pun intended).

If used to larger scales, unless you are after long passenger or good trains, why use OO, in that case?
0, or On30 or G scale might feel less of a leap, and suit your feel for detail.
An industrial works or a dockside in these larger scales can come out considerably smaller than an OO layout accommodating six or more passenger coaches in a rake. Big models of little trains...

Alternately with OO it would be quite possible to have the majority of the track non-scenic, with return loops and storage sidings supplying a good variety of trains to a terminus or through the scenic section with a passing station or junction.
The non scenic track could go *behind* storage boxes on shelves (with stops to prevent the boxes ramming the trains) but still be easily accessible when required.

Chris
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:37 am

I use kitchen base units, which were from the B&Q Value range as mentioned above! They are still there, just google them... A decent hight for working and sturdy with plenty of storage... I use those cheap fold-away boxes for some stuff and those cheap plastic upright storage units for the rest...

http://www.diy.com/departments/it-kitch ... 07093510:s

http://www.diy.com/departments/bq-plast ... 053_BQ.prd

http://www.therange.co.uk/4-drawer-plas ... duct/18026

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:29 am

Thanks b308, my garage is almost ready for fitting out so that might save me sawing up a lost of OSB ! There used to be an even cheaper range - no legs, just full height chipboard - and including some very cheap and nasty melamine doors for about the same price as the one in your link. I wouldn't have put them in a kitchen but they were fine for the garage (which, come to think of it, is probably why they didn't sell...)
Portwilliam - Southwest Scotland in the 1960s, in OO - http://stuart1968.wordpress.com/

b308

Postby b308 » Fri Nov 07, 2014 10:53 am

This is how I use them, actually looks quite neat as well. The units I used (those in the link) allow you to have flat tops and I just lay the layout on top of them Just make sure you have a spirit level! I can't see the point of doors (apart from looking neater), as I'm in and out of them all the time doors (or curtains) would be a waste of time!

negativepitch

Postby negativepitch » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:17 am

stuartp wrote:Thanks b308, my garage is almost ready for fitting out so that might save me sawing up a lost of OSB ! There used to be an even cheaper range - no legs, just full height chipboard - and including some very cheap and nasty melamine doors for about the same price as the one in your link. I wouldn't have put them in a kitchen but they were fine for the garage (which, come to think of it, is probably why they didn't sell...)

Have you insulated the garage walls ?, at the moment I have a kitcar in their and it has been sat there for around two years now (long story) and only a minor amount of dust is on the shell, and I mean a minor amount.
The rafters are open, no ceiling, which I would like to keep as I can also store things up there like bits of wood etc.
that leaves the opening between the top of the wall and the tiles, but as I say, it doesnt let anything in..apart from the cold :lol:
I have to sort some idea for this, I can have heating in there, but seems a waste of time until I can come up with some idea for the gap.

Theres lots of options and ideas you have given me chaps :D

stuartp

Postby stuartp » Sat Nov 08, 2014 10:42 am

negativepitch wrote:Have you insulated the garage walls ?

Oh yes:

The walls are battened out with CLS then lined with polystyrene veneer, then 50mm Kingspan between the battens, there will be a lining of 12mm OSB over that. Mine has a flat roof so no storage potential, so I'm going to make a false ceiling once the walls are all finished. It would probably have been easier to knock it down and put a nice new wooden shed up, but I wasn't allowed.

Return to “Baseboard Design and Construction”