Multilevel layout and graidents can it be done?

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
TK421

Multilevel layout and graidents can it be done?

Postby TK421 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:28 pm

Hello guys I've been tryin to come with a plan for my spare room, the room is 11ft by 6ft 8inches. Over time I've collected a vast collection of locomotives so one part of the layout will have a shed based on the old shed at coventry. But I really want to create a mainline all of a sudden that 11ft space is rather small :?

So i've been pondering the possiballity of building the fiddle yard under the senic board in sort of figure of 8 folded on itslef (if you catch my meaning).

Question is can it be done? I tried running a bachmann jinty with four coaches up a 1 in 30 incline but it struggled on the 3rd radius curve, am I right in thinking it's 1 inch to every 30 cm or is that 1cm as different sources give me different ratio's.

I'm sure the idea can be done but not so sure it can be done in the space I have. If you guys have any ideas or advice it would be most apprechiated.
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

pmlondon

Re: Multilevel layout and graidents can it be done?

Postby pmlondon » Tue Jan 08, 2013 1:48 pm

Not very surprising, you have to apply 1 inch raising for 30 inch in lenght or 1cm rising for 30 cm but not mixing Imperial with Metrics.

Even like this I made my gradients with an increase of 1cm for every 63cm to be able to use my M7 which was too light to pull 2 coaches on the 1/30 ratio.
2017 : Back to the Hobby

Steve Hill

Postby Steve Hill » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:12 pm

Yep, 1:30 is 1" to 30" or 1cm to 30cm, not mix and match. If you want an under-layout fiddle yard with adequate headroom for your arms and suchlike, I suspect you may need something like a spiral between the two levels in the space you have available.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:24 pm

That explains that mystry last time I trust Hornby magazine. I have considered a helix but they're so big it would eat the space. I'll look at creating a spiral right round the room under the boards at least I now have the right ratio cheers guys.

alan_r

Postby alan_r » Thu Jan 10, 2013 12:27 am

Hi TK421 (great name!)

This was my solution...
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=40116#p493866

By having the scenery on top liftable, you don't need to drop the level so far, as the bottom of the cover can be just above the train tops, without the need for hand space.

However this is n-gauge, so would take up a lot of space in OO.
You might be able to take some ideas from it that you could use though?
good luck
Alan

TK421

Postby TK421 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 7:45 am

Hi alan, cheers for the suggestion but don't worry i've been keeping an eye on your topic and I do like the idea. I think I have an idea of what I can do now by incorporating the inclines into the scenery, i just need to do some maths and a few tests to make sure it works.

Return to “Baseboard Design and Construction”