A Pre-made baseboard in Ireland (help?)

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
Alexander Court

A Pre-made baseboard in Ireland (help?)

Postby Alexander Court » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:26 pm

So after the total failure of my last layout due to the baseboards being rubbish because of the way i did it, I have decided to do a new layout using the Hornby Midi-Mat. However, Living in Ireland has its many drawbacks. I live in County Wexford in the county town called Wexford and there is nowhere I can find where I can get the materials I would need and I do not have the tools or the skills required to make a baseboard even if i had the materials. So does anyone know of anyone or anywhere nearby where I can get a baseboard with frame and either detachable or fold away legs and at a price that isn't rediculously high like £300 for one all the way from Belfast?

I know It's a longshot, but i have very little money and cannot really afford much anyways so It'd have to be done on the cheap.

Thanks, A useless modeller called Alex 8)

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

whynot

Re: A Pre-made baseboard in Ireland (help?)

Postby whynot » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:55 pm

Surely some plywood (ready cut to size) and 2" x 1" (ditto) and a tenner for a saw will do it? I expect one of these merchants will sell the necessary (and if you ask nicely will probably give you some guidance).

http://www.homewise.ie/search/Wexford/T ... plies/160/
dave j
Works End 0 16.5
viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49336

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sat Sep 24, 2011 10:39 pm

Thanks, I had a look at where some of them were located but they were too far away :( However I live fairly close to the one of Redmond Road, It never looks open and i know the building next to it is closed down but I will have a look in there soon. I don't know about affording it as this week we only had 25cent left over after bills and the weekly food shop :(

I probably won't get any work done on it until I am back from England (and hopefully rescue my model railway stuff from the rafters of my dad's garage :)

Once I have the materials, any idea how I go about actually making the baseboard and frame? because i am woefully unskilled and even reading these forum things and magazine articles everyone just seems to know what they are doing just by saying it, like when they say "I screwed and glued the frame together" I don't get how they did that as never having witnessed or done anything liek it i am clueless.

Thanks again :D

Alex.

"I love the way you call it Art, When you never even use your Heart, and I just wanna tear you Apart"

PD.

Postby PD. » Sat Sep 24, 2011 11:53 pm

Take a look at my layout thread.

I bought three pieces of approx 2m x 0.7m chunks of compressed something or other which was tongue and groove - it cost next to nothing - then for the legs I used Ikea ones, they were about a quid each. I braced it with three or four strips of 2x1 or something

This baseboard cost me about 25 quid including six legs... and if you think you have problems sourcing stuff in Ireland, take pity on me in Prague... whilst I can source the required alcohol to keep me sane here, getting train stuff is another matter

I should add that in no way is my technique fir doing the baseboard a guaranteed way, but it is very unlikely to warp and were it not for the fact I am expanding and I want to do it in lighter sections for portabilty I would most likely go the same route again. The only drawback aside from the weight of this compressed wood, is banging in track pins is nigh on impossible
Praha Hlavní Nádraží (Prague Main Station)

Ex-Pat

Postby Ex-Pat » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:53 am

Alex,

Are you aware of the Wexford Model Railway Club?

If not then see: http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php/topic/20321-wexford-model-railway-club-open-days/ No doubt there are other web references to them. (I recall meeting 3 of their members on a flight back from Warley a couple of years ago.)

I'm sure it would benefit you greatly to make contact with them and discuss matters - most model railway club members are extremely helpful. You would be able to learn the various techniques and skills - perhaps even borrow tools etc..

ie 201

Postby ie 201 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:24 am

Hi, From across the suir estuary, theres one i know for definite in the 32 counties if thats any help, as a bonus he usually attends the St Josephs hall show every easter so he may be able to deliver.
http://www.buildmyrailway.com/

The other alternative is to get a carpenter to build one for you, show him what you want and make sure he knows it needs to be very accurate i got my last 8ft x 4ft baseboard built with legs by one for €120.
As for the Wexford club heres details of their next show

Wexford Model Railway Club will be holding their Annual Exhibition at
St. Michael’s Hall, Thomas Street, Wexford, County Wexford, Ireland on
Sunday 30 October, 12 to 6pm and Monday 31 October, 12 to 5pm.
There will be 10 working layouts at the exhibition.
Admission : Adult €4, Child €2, Family €8.
All proceeds will be going towards our building fund
Last edited by ie 201 on Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

PD.

Postby PD. » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:42 am

I think €120 is way out of Alex's budget from what I read.

I think he wants to do it as a hobby, rather than be a complete anorak ;)

€120 is way out of mine as well come to think of it. It's just a few bits of wood FFS :D

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:50 am

Hey everyone, well PD. I will have to see about looking for the wood in the shops round here but I don't know about the legs because the nearest Ikea could be as far away as Dublin or Cork :(

I registered with RMweb in hope of finding more about Wexford Model Railway club to find the council says their exhibition this october is on the 30th and 31st October 2011 and the person posting information about it on RMweb said Sunday 24th and Monday 25th of October 2011 (dates that do not exist!) so i queried them.

I cannot afford much as I am living as a dependant on my girlfriends Job seeker's claim until they declare me habitually resident (still trying to close my english bank account which i shall try and do when i get back to england for a week at the start of october) Essentially I have no money of my own and it is out of the kindness of my girlfriends heart that she occasionally buys me model magazines and very rarely a wagon when we can afford one. All i could afford at the last exhibition i went to at ST.Joseph's in easter was two triang unboxed wagons (they are wonderful though).

Thanks for all the suggestions, keep them coming?

P.S. I guess I would rather be in Ireland than Prague, but England is probably the best place to get stuff for model railways :L

also buildmyrailway.com redirected me to the shop in belfast that wants pretty much £300 just to supply a baseboard and legs for the Hornby Midi-Mat which i think is too much

ie 201

Postby ie 201 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:55 am

Well considering its been in use for the last 6 years hasn t warped, twisted i think it was very good value. Theres no point going on the cheap or you will pay in the long run.
Im sure if he approached any carpenter over here they d be glad of the work and probably do it for cheaper. :lol:

PD.

Postby PD. » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:18 am

ie 201 wrote:Well considering its been in use for the last 6 years hasn t warped, twisted i think it was very good value. Theres no point going on the cheap or you will pay in the long run.
Im sure if he approached any carpenter over here they d be glad of the work and probably do it for cheaper. :lol:

I think it's awful value.

Unless of course the price of wood is twice what it is in Prague. And the price of wood here is ridiculous compared to England.

Me thinks he's an amateur modeler, wanting to do his first layout on what spare cash he has. Sorry, but it annoys me when some of you come up and say 'only €120' - well here's news, €120 buys a whole load of other things more important in life than a model railway

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 9:21 am

Going back to the Club, have you tried the local Library, over here they keep details of contacts for local clubs... I doubt Ireland will be any different?

Re the baseboard, how about a secondhand door with a layer of thin board on top as a cheap alternative?

PD.

Postby PD. » Sun Sep 25, 2011 12:12 pm

That's not a bad idea, or seeing as it's rented accommodation why not simply take a door off it's hinges and use that :D

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 2:06 pm

:mrgreen:

Just don't glue the track down!

Alexander Court

Postby Alexander Court » Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:37 pm

Well the library here has been good for railway books and railway modelling books, i think though that there are only 5 books on railway modelling in the whole irish library system, or at least Wexford County's library system :P

Can't get the doors off and we need them, I don't think the guy that comes round to collect the rent every friday would like to see the door off its hinges and on the floor! :P

I'd imagine i will source some cork tiles to put down on the baseboard when i have one, then it will be much easier to pin down and ballast the track (looking back i'm not so sure that polycement is a good idea for securing track, well not if you want the track back at the end :P ).

I know that the WMRC is trying to build a new club room at the St. Joseph's site so hopefully when its finished I'll actually know where to go in town to get help from them when its needed in future :D

b308

Postby b308 » Sun Sep 25, 2011 8:05 pm

Plenty of places stock doors, new and secondhand, shouldn't cost more than 20 euros.

Return to “Baseboard Design and Construction”