Woodland Scenics foam sheets baseboard

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
BobDM

Woodland Scenics foam sheets baseboard

Postby BobDM » Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:02 pm

Has anybody out there made a layout with WS 2inch thick sheets as the baseboard. I have seen their videos but point motors and other wiring info seems largely ignored.

I am going to have a go but before I start there is the question of point motors to sort out. I have a couple of ideas picked up from YouTube etc but before I start I wondered whether anyone here had any experience that I, and anyone else who is interested, could learn from.

Flashbang

Re: Woodland Scenics foam sheets baseboard

Postby Flashbang » Thu Jun 23, 2022 3:26 pm

Hi
If the foam board is 50mm (2" inches) thick, then no point motor is going to have a long enough drive pin to pass through that thickness and the into the points tie bar hole. Plus how would you fix a point motor underneath? Foam isnt the best material for holding screws!

So the options IMO are if using solenoid motors - Surface mounting motors such as the Peco PL11 or Hornby R8243 or other makes from Gaugemaster etc
Or fit Peco PL10 or Hornby R8014 directly to the underside of the point, then dig out a rectangle of board to allow the motor to sit below the point.

Personally, I would not use foam board, but go with a traditional Plywood top (usually 9mm) and timber bracing underneath Minimum 2" x 1" (44 x 21mm) or you can go with a deeper framing and slightly narrower e.g. 3/4" x 3" (18 x 69mm).

Whatever is used remember the baseboard is the foundations of the layout. If its poorly made then whatever is placed on top will eventually fail. Make it strong - like your homes foundations, and it should last for ever! :D
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

BobDM

Postby BobDM » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:25 am

Thanks Flashbang.

Unfortunately, for a number of reasons, the traditional wood and plywood baseboard construction is not an option.

This method of using foam provides me with a way of having some kind of layout

I know it's not perfect but beggars can't be choosers.

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Fri Jun 24, 2022 11:10 am

The Woodland Scenics foam is rather expensive in baseboard sized pieces. Go to the builders merchants and buy a sheet or rigid foam insulation, much cheaper. Don't use "Kingspan" it's extremely rigid and little heavier than poly foam but its centre filling releases a fine gritty dust when sawn, which is a skin irritant. Shame that it really is rigid.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Return to “Baseboard Design and Construction”