Base broad setup

Discussion of model railway baseboard design and construction
trinak987

Base broad setup

Postby trinak987 » Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:58 pm

Hello everyone
im setting up my 8 year old with his frist ever set up he is mad on railways now i pick up the hornby track layout.
Now im looking to fix this onto a wooden base broad that i can fix the track to so. We can put it away when not needed can any of u wonderful people point me in to which wood is best and cork.
Thank you
Xx

Mountain

Re: Base broad setup

Postby Mountain » Sat Nov 18, 2017 8:47 pm

No doubt many more can add good ideas here. Most of us use plywood. It is a good material to use. You need the right thickness. In the past I've used inch thick chipboard successfully. My current layout uses MDF, but if using MDF beware of cutting or drilling it as the dust is known to be just as bad as aspestos.
Years ago syndela used to be pushed by one magazine but dont buy this as it needs so much wooden support underneath it is just not practical in this way.
My layout is made to be portable and includes legs, though my narrow gauge locos turn very tight corners. I will add a little picture.
If you just want to stick the Hornby track mat on a board without a frame for him to play on the floor go for thick plywood (At a guess half inch thick should be OK) or inch thick chipboard. Ply is normally more expensive and preferred but chipboard will be OK if you can't find anything else.

I'm sure others can give advice also.
Attachments
IMG_20171027_165957.jpg
IMG_20171027_165935.jpg

Emettman

Postby Emettman » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:10 pm

trinak987 wrote:Hello everyone
.. can any of u wonderful people point me in to which wood is best and cork.
Thank you
Xx

Hello and welcome, trinack987.

Can I ask what size of board (or possibly boards) you are aiming for?
And what sort of carpentry or other DIY skils you have?
These might affect the "best answer" for what to use.

Long time back I built boards for a portable layout out of 1/2" chipboard braced with 2" x 1" underneath in 12" to 15" spacings.
simple, utterly reliable, but very heavy by modern standards.
They served for 15 years.

I've also built using spaced plywood: much lighter, but considerably more work.

Nowadays (depending on size of board) I'd probably use layered foil covered insulation foam (NOT expanded polystyrene), with just thin plywood edging principally to protect the corners from knocks. Fast, cheap, light. But not "conventional."

Chris.
"It's his madness that keeps him sane."

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Dec 04, 2017 1:27 pm

trinak987 wrote:Hello everyone
im setting up my 8 year old with his frist ever set up he is mad on railways now i pick up the hornby track layout.
Now im looking to fix this onto a wooden base broad that i can fix the track to so. We can put it away when not needed can any of u wonderful people point me in to which wood is best and cork.
Thank you
Xx

Someone I know makes his baseboards from old internal doors. I have not tried it myself but to say internal doors are lightweight. Not quite ideal but they worked fine for him.
I can through experience say that chipboard makes a nice surface and in the past I've had two layouts out of this as a surface material. The first was a simple 8' x 4' sheet of an inch thick chipboard quick served me for a couple of years on top of a cupboard or a table (The board had no framework), and this was later used with a second sheet and cut to make a larger L shaped board in my bedroom and this had a frame and was held up with ∆ shaped brackets my dad made from wood. He was a carpenter and these supports screwed to the wall were very strongly jointed. (Years later when they eventually were used for firewood (The layout long gone) I couldn't break up them and had to cut them instead).
The general feel for an ideal material to use amongst modellers is plywood.

Return to “Baseboard Design and Construction”