N-Gauge data and information

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
blooregard

Re: N-Gauge data and information

Post by blooregard »

Handbags!

This thread is generally used for reference rather than asking questions, if you had made a welcome post and asked your question with a relevant subject you would have had a pretty quick and accurate reply.

All too often we get people posting questions under subjects like "Help!" or as in your case as part of another thread, its very easy to miss things or overlook them when they are posted like this.
Punctured bicycle on a hillside desolate.
Sprintex

Post by Sprintex »

Well said bloo :wink:

Paul
Nathan20138

Post by Nathan20138 »

O.k. fair point although i think i may have been slightly mis lead.
I shall post in another topic re my question.

No thread jacking was intended.
"Let all men who go to don armour tomorrow remember to go before they don armour tomorrow."

Brightside Lane TMD
http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/Fo ... 22&t=33379
keithmthomas

Post by keithmthomas »

I like to see trains running at near scale speeds rather than 200 mph steam trains which looks ridiculous, but at the end of the day I just guess what looks about right. (I'm not a rivet counter so don't bother with a calculator, if it looks right then ok.)
St. Paddy

Post by St. Paddy »

Quick question re: scale speeds. How does one calculate them or convert for the correct gauge (in this case N Gauge)?

I'm new to this but often notice most locos run far too fast.

Cheers

Steve
Mustermark

Post by Mustermark »

St. Paddy wrote:Quick question re: scale speeds. How does one calculate them or convert for the correct gauge (in this case N Gauge)?
The answer to this can be found on page 2 of this very thread courtesy of phibs14...
http://www.nhsouth.com/crafts/workbench/ssc.htm

I also found an iPhone app that does the same kind of thing.

Cheers, Mark.
matty198891

Post by matty198891 »

thanks am amazing posts i love this forum thanks keep adding useful in fo as i find it hard to find it or work it out

matty
soz if hard under stand i am dislexic any part dont get tell will retype hope u understand can respond
BROADTRAIN1979

Post by BROADTRAIN1979 »

Hi I always run my locos realistically as that to me gives realism dcc gives that, although, with a decent dc system it can work . I do agree a lot of exhibition locos are run way to fast and stop dead at stations .
Mark. :)
Youll never find a 501 like mine.
poliss

Post by poliss »

Treble-O or OOO is to 1:152 scale and not 1:148 British N scale. See http://www.irwinsjournal.com/a1g/a1glocos/TrebleO.html
Although it's been said many times that the reason British N is to 1:148 scale is because there were no motors small enough for 1:160th British outline, I have found no evidence to support this.
BernardTPM

Post by BernardTPM »

Peco came up with the 1:148 scale in the mid-60s when they made whitemetal body kits to fit Arnold chassis. Why they thought the extra 1/2mm on the width or 3/4mm on the height compared to 2mm scale made a significant difference I don't know as the bodies were overscale anyway! To their credit, the new plastic models that followed, the 45t tank, Mk.1 coaches (jointly with Minitrix) and Jubilee were proper 1:148, but how much harder would it have been to make them 1:152? I admit loosing 1.25mm off the width (1:148 down to 1:160) might have been a step too far.