help with a lima class 31

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
CasperGriswoldBacon

Re: help with a lima class 31

Post by CasperGriswoldBacon »

railsquid wrote:
CasperGriswoldBacon wrote:Hi Gerald. I found those pictures by googling lima class 31 motor and its exactly the same as mine. Unfortunately the guy doesn't go into any details about taking it apart or servicing it. The back of the motor seems to be entirely held in by the copper casing and not screwed down - It certainly opens up a bit when a screwdriver is applied. I suppose I could just dive in and try and prise if off - the trouble is i'm a bit worried about doing it without damaging it or a spring pinging into the stratosphere - I know my way around 00 stuff to a certain extent but this is entering watch repair territory size wise. :shock:
Hi, I'm the guy who took the photos (actual page with some brief descriptions is here). I can't remember the exact details about taking apart the motor without going and doing it, but if memory serves correctly it's a question of removing the brass or copper strips wrapped around the outside and the springs. The springs and the motor brushes (held in place by one "arm" of each spring) are the only tiny parts which are at risk of loss, and obviously you don't want to bend the springs out of shape. These motors are quite crude but robust, though personally I have yet to encounter one which can be coaxed into running satisfactorily.

Towards the end Lima did use centre-mounted can motors in some of their N gauge models including the Class 31 and 86, I have yet to encounter one of those but do have a German outline model which uses one, which is a great improvement (though still way behind what e.g. Kato were making during the same period).
Railsquid, I must apologise for not replying as I missed your post. That's brilliant info thanks. I'd set the loco to one side because I was worried about the springs flying off because of the tension on the copper strips, but I will now give it a go. Thank you again.
CasperGriswoldBacon

I finally got round to taking it apart today. and the reason there was no life from the motor was the windings were absolutely cooked, to the point one side had melted a bit. However, I had another heavily stripped lima 0-4-0 shunter and I swopped out the centre of that motor as a replacement on the off-chance it would work. and I now have a runner 8)

Thanks again for the help
railsquid

Post by railsquid »

Glad you got it sorted!
CasperGriswoldBacon

railsquid wrote:Glad you got it sorted!

Thanks railsquid. It was actually far easier to take apart than it looked. Once I realised the copper strips covering the motor could just be slid off with a push from a screwdriver I was in, but it doesn't "look" that simple. In the end I decided my efforts couldn't really make it more broken than it was. :) Thanks again for the advice(and the useful website)