New to railway modelling and looking for advice

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
AdamChivers

New to railway modelling and looking for advice

Postby AdamChivers » Sun Jan 13, 2019 2:06 pm

Hi everyone, my names Adam and I am fairly new to model railways. I am familiar with most of the basics as I got into oo a few years ago, however I live in a small apartment and it wasnt practical.

I am looking at building an n guage layout as this will give me a lot more options. I was thinking of doing either a 6x3 or 8x4 layout that I can place on the bed.

I want 3 lines running in a basic oval loop with maybe some sidings going into the middle. I want it to be a piece of west coast mainline and maybe put a platform at one end.

Im not sure if modular would also be an option so I could store it easier?

I dont know how to rig up point motors or what controller to use etc. I was thinking of buying the highlander set with dcc and sound and maybe building around that in a modern image theme

Any advice on what to do would be greatly appreciated, thanks

heda

Re: New to railway modelling and looking for advice

Postby heda » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:21 pm

Welcome to the forum Adam, you have come to the right place for good friendly advice. My N gauge layout is 72" x 32 which is pretty close to the size you mentioned", I've attached a link so as to give you some idea what you can fit into the space. It is very light so can be moved around by one person and stands flat against the wall when not in use (which at the moment is most of the time).

I used Peco code 55 flexitrack, I wouldn't worry to much about point motors just yet, there is lots of information on setting them up and people on here ready to give help if your stuck. The question of what controller is going to depend on whether you dc or dcc which is a another subject in it's own right.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=49491

Dave

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Jan 13, 2019 3:55 pm

N gauge is a good option though I have seen many 00 layouts built in that size and even smaller! Another option which may or may not broaden your horizons is the narrow gauge option as one can model a large scale in a small space. I am ever so slowly (As I do months of no modelling and then get a modelling spree!) building myself a 7mm narrow gauge layout with an oval of track with passing loops etc in a space of 7ft x 2ft. It is a bit extreme having track turn on a 2ft wide board, but it suits me as I want my layout to be portable (Hence it has two boards, both with foldable legs). The downside to British 7mm narrow gauge (0-16.5) is that there are no factory made ready to run models. However, a better option for many is to turn to the next scale down which is 009 (The narrow gauge of 00) and H0e (The narrow gauge of H0 which blends in nicely with 009. H0e and 009 run on the same track gauge width). As a guide, think of it of being the same scale as 00 gauge but will generally fit in an N gauge space. (Generally speaking as one has to make room for the slightly wider bodies that the stock has when compared to N gauge).

AdamChivers

Postby AdamChivers » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:05 pm

Hi dave, thanks for the link, this is exactly what I was after. Also it is the size I was hoping for around 6ft x 3ft. I think this will be ideal for me as I only really want to concentrate on trackwork, ballast and trains for some nice running sessions at the moment so could easily hide it away without ruining scenery etc.

I assume dcc is required for the sound fitted locos? If so I may edge toward that route depending on my budget

Cheers
Last edited by AdamChivers on Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AdamChivers

Postby AdamChivers » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:11 pm

Hi mountain, thanks for the response. Its a nice idea, as I get more into it I might think about doing a narrow guage dioramma, a bit of a scenic steam route maybe.
I am very passionate about uk mainline, hst's, class 91s and diesel frieght, so a standard guage layout is the way I must go I feel. I do enjoy narrow guage layouts though, its definately something I will consider as I progress in the hobby

Thanks

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Jan 13, 2019 4:34 pm

If you had the space for 00 gauge you could have run a narrow gauge line with it. The same can be done in N gauge (And I am on another narrow gauge specific site where some do build some tiny locos etc) but I think that is too far in the deep end!
I think it is the best idea to try a trainset in N gauge and see how you get on. If you get on well with it then go for it. If you find it a tad too small then you can always sell it on. You may be a little out of pocket, but you will never know unless you try. To me, all the scales and gauges I tried in the past were worth the money I may have lost in trying them, as the experience of owning and experimenting with them pointed me in the direction of finding what I do like about the hobby.
For me, I am actually enjoying making things from scraps and things like that. It is a challenge that I love, and I find that I can't do better then use 7mm narrow gauge as I can use cheaply obtained loco chassis (Or the cheap little Hornby 0-4-0's which seem made ripe for conversion!), and use wheels that others throw away when they convert from plastic to metal... It means I can carry on modelling when I don't habe much of an income. Ideal for me and my budget. (I also have a collection of 00 gauge track which I replace the sleepers for strips of PCB when needed).

Point motors are easy enough. I tend to prefer the tag and probe method as one can make a panel with a mimic diagram of your trackplan. Controllers? You can't go wrong with Gaugemaster.
In the smaller scales it is easier to use DC, but DCC is certainly available and impressive it is too. How they fit DCC sound and lights in an N gauge loco is amzing! Seems like only the other day when they struggled to fit the motors in the things, and even on DC, to find room for a little light bulb seemed almost impossible! Today look how far the manufacturers have come!

heda

Postby heda » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:13 pm

Hi Adam
You would need DCC for a sound loco. My layout is DCC although there are pro's and cons, it is a matter of personal choice and as I said a subject in it's own right.
If I can be any help regarding my track plan, construction method or whatever just PM me and I'll answer the best I can, meanwhile at least you have an idea what you can fit in to your available space. Worth taking a look on the 'layouts under construction thread too, see what other N gaugers are doing.
Dave

AdamChivers

Postby AdamChivers » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:26 pm

I just had a quick look at some of your work, the track looks fantastic. I do love narrow guage railways, they offer something a little different and you dont need a huge layout either which like I said is something I will look into ib the future.

Thanks for the tip with the controller, I will look at guagemaster, I read that hornby dcc controllers arent fine enough for n guage.

Thanks again

AdamChivers

Postby AdamChivers » Sun Jan 13, 2019 5:29 pm

Thanks dave, it wont be for a month or two but when I do I will pm you regarding constructing the baseboard etc. I do like your layout its just the kind of thing I want so if you could help me it would be a real privelage!

glencairn

Postby glencairn » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:01 pm

Hi Adam. 'N Gauge' eh! Far too small. :lol:

Seriously, Welcome to the Forum. Keep us posted on your progress.

Glencairn
To the world you are someone. To someone you are their world.

AdamChivers

Postby AdamChivers » Sun Jan 13, 2019 8:18 pm

Hi glencairn, thanks for the welcome, looking forward to being part of the railway modelling community!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:17 pm

AdamChivers wrote:I just had a quick look at some of your work, the track looks fantastic. I do love narrow guage railways, they offer something a little different and you dont need a huge layout either which like I said is something I will look into ib the future.

Thanks for the tip with the controller, I will look at guagemaster, I read that hornby dcc controllers arent fine enough for n guage.

Thanks again

Was tht Hedas tarck or my track? My track was a bit of a learning curve as I tried other methods before using the PCB sleeper method. It is time consuming and making my own points and diamond crossing probably isn't the easiest thing to do, but the results look good. I still need to do a few tweaks here and there.
I have not tried a Hornby DCC controller. I once saw one in the flesh and was surprized how large the thing was! It looks small in the adverts. (It was the better one Hornby make).
With my 00 gauge I bought a Lenz DCC system which I find works well. It does far more then I need it to do, even though it is now an older DCC system.
For my 7mm narrow gauge I am staying with DC and making my own controller.

AdamChivers

Postby AdamChivers » Mon Jan 14, 2019 4:59 pm

It was Llwyndrissi Halt, some of the pictures the track looks exceptional. Very realistic, looks tricky though, I wouldnt even attempt something like that yet.

Cheers for the advice on controllers and dcc, im pretty sure I will go dcc as I want the graham farrish highlander train set. I love a class 37 cold start up, would be great if it had all the black smoke too but I guess that would be very tricky to achieve

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”