N gauge newbie

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Michaelreedy71

N gauge newbie

Postby Michaelreedy71 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 5:29 pm

Just like some tips on n gauge . Im planning a 3 single track layout and need help on power im using code 80 flexi Trac.i track has 2 points for ridings outer track has 2 points for station with island platform.any help will be great .

Ironduke

Re: N gauge newbie

Postby Ironduke » Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:42 pm

Hi Michael,
that's a pretty broad subject.

Start here http://www.newrailwaymodellers.co.uk/electronics.htm
Regards
Rob

heda

Postby heda » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:36 pm

Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of friendly helpful advice on here
The first question is are you planning to use DC ot DCC. It can make a difference to how you power the track. Have you laid any track yet or is it still in the planning stage.
Dave

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:58 pm

Welcome. My experience with N gauge has been brief. A single track oval with a little scenery and a GF class 08 (Old type) with two or three wagons and a single siding. I gave it to a friend as I decided a larger scale was better for me. I did like the cast metal body of the GF locos which used to be made. Not sure if they still have such bodies since Bachmann took them over. Wagons and coaches used to be very cheap compared to 00 gauge though locos were more expensive. Therefore it used to be common for N gauge modellers to have few locos but mny wagons, vans and coaches.
How things change when I look today where prices where in comparison to 00, the wagons and coaches have gone up and the locos have gone down (Though they all have gone up... What I mean is that the prices seem to be almost similar to 00 gauge).

There are quite a few N gauge enthusiasts in here who can give you advice. It would be good if you could show a track plan and say if you hope to go with DC or DCC as the wiring is a little different. This will help others understand your plans so they can help you.

Michaelreedy71

Postby Michaelreedy71 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:21 pm

[quote="heda"]Welcome to the forum, you will find a lot of friendly helpful advice on here
The first question is are you planning to use DC ot DCC. It can make a difference to how you power the track. Have you laid any track yet or is it still in the planning stage.
Dave[/quote

lucky for me my base is made and as i work on a cnc machine I rebated a groove just wide enough for the tack on the base board im adding another track to it. Not sure to do dc or dcc as i not got mega money.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:08 pm

DC is what I would recommend especially as you are on a budget. Also N gauge is small enough... DCC is certainly available for N gauge (Even DCC sound!) but DC is the easier option both on ones wallet and ones sanity. :D (OK, it is not quite that bad... :D ).

roganty

Postby roganty » Mon Jan 07, 2019 9:56 pm

Michaelreedy71 wrote:lucky for me my base is made and as i work on a cnc machine I rebated a groove just wide enough for the tack on the base board im adding another track to it. Not sure to do dc or dcc as i not got mega money.

Hello @Michaelreedy71 and welcome to the forums.

I can only echo @Mountain and say that a track plan would help us to help you wire up your layout. Even a crude drawing in MS Paint would help!
(For help in uploading images/photos to the forum this thread should help)

From your description, are your two ovals (I'm assuming) separate and not joined together? Also, do you intend to only run one train at a time, or have two (or more) going at the same time?
For two separate ovals this is easily achieved using DC and two controllers. With two joined ovals some insulated rail joiners would be needed to keep the two circuits separated.

The link provided by @Ironduke is a good start, plus there is always Brian' Lambert's (AKA @Flashbang) website which is always handy.

Anthony
Main Layout: Planning | The Build

Erikslund - a small shunting layout

Paul-H

Postby Paul-H » Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:09 pm

Don't think cost is a good enough reason to not go DCC.

For a start a DCC decoder can be had for only £10 and most locos are DCC ready these days so DC or DCC it's only £10 difference, for each loco.

A DCC controller can be built for £10 if you go the Arduino and DCC++ route and you only need the one controller, with DC and multiple loops you either have to have multiple controllers or limit yourself to running one loco at a time,

Plus for DCC on a multi track multi siding layout the wiring is much easier than with DC

I think it's cheaper and easier to go DCC for a newbie

Hat coat door

Michaelreedy71

Postby Michaelreedy71 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:16 pm

Cheers guys if I go dcc is it easy to fit a decoder of my capability if a newbie

heda

Postby heda » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:57 pm

Fitting a decoder is not difficult but in N gauge it is fiddly, so I would say it's not so much down to your knowledge of trains as much as whether you have nimble fingers and good eyesight. Having said that modern trains are generally DCC ready which means it's simply a case of removing a blanking plug and plugging in a decoder. It might be an idea for you to check ebay and compare prices before making a decision. Regarding whether to go DCC or DC that really comes down to your choice, there are pro's and con's for both which is another subject altogether.
Basically for the track wiring as roganty said if your going DC then each train needs it's own circuit so if you are planning having two loops with a train on each loop they will need to be wired individually. It is fine to connect the two loops using points but the metal rail joiners would need to be replaced with plastic joiners to ensure the loops are isolated from each other. If you go DCC then all the track is powered from one circuit.
I've probably made it sound harder than it actually is so don't be put off.
One last thing I would suggest, don't rush in, ask lots of questions and (hopefully) get it right first time, you will find a lot of helpful knowledge on this site.
Dave

heda

Postby heda » Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:04 pm

I'm probably going to confuse you more posting this link but it is a discussion whether to go DC or DCC. Good luck !!

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=47842

Dave

Michaelreedy71

Postby Michaelreedy71 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 6:13 pm

20190108_175420.jpg
This is my pic of layouts

Michaelreedy71

Postby Michaelreedy71 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 7:16 pm

Will post better pics shortly i got my tunnels to sort out and few other bits to do

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:14 pm

One option is that if one track is independent to the other (As in no links via points etc) then you do have the option to use one or two track loops for DC and the other as DCC or vice versa. Quite a few 00 gauge modellers do this as they may have had a large collection of DC models and are slowly converting to DCC.

Michaelreedy71

Postby Michaelreedy71 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 8:52 pm

In an earlier post I was told I can make a dcc controller ? is how.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”