Seep PM2 points motor

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Rusty1643

Seep PM2 points motor

Postby Rusty1643 » Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:32 pm

Hello
Firstly I am new to this forum and also to DCC N gauge modelling therefor I will be what may seem very basic questions to most of you but the replies will be greatly appreciated.
I did build a Hornby DCC OO gauge about three years ago which appeared to be far simpler but had to sell it off due to illness, now I am mainly housebound I thought I might give N gauge a try but it appears to be far more complicated even after reading piles of magazines.
I am attempting to fit Seep PM2 point motors to Peco ST 5 & 6 turnouts(11 in all) & using SPDT toggle switch
I have watched numerous videos on on youtube but my questions that puzzle me are:-
Why do I have to remove the 2 brass plates under the points then solder them in a different places as shown in the video
Do I need a separate 16V gaugemaster Transformer ( I will be using the Gaugemaster Prodigy Advance control system
and finally all my Peco ST track have metal (fishplates) fitted to them but I have noticed that a different type of plastic joiner should also be used.
As I initially indicated any information will be greatly appreciated
Thank you

Flashbang

Re: Seep PM2 points motor

Postby Flashbang » Sun Dec 16, 2018 6:18 pm

Hi

DCC (Digital) Operation...
If you want to operate the Seep (Solenoid) motors from the DCC system you will have to use an Accessory decoder. This is the interface between the DCC rails or DCC Bus pair of wires and the actual solenoid point motor(s). I highly recommend the DCC Concepts AD-SnSX range. Note the -S in the part number indicating they are for Solenoid motors. 'n' = the number of outputs available which can be 2 or 8. i.e. AD-S2SX is a two output accessory decoder, while its larger brother- the AD-S8SX has 8 outputs. Each output has its own dedicated Capacitor Discharge Unit (CDU) to provide that extra 'beefy' pulse to move the motor over. Each output is capable of operating two solenoid motors together - e.g. a cross-over pair of points.
Additionally, they offer the options of adding a switch/push button for manual panel operation and LED point position indications.

Analogue Operation...
If you do not wish to operate the point motors by the DCC system (Which is IMO more harder to do than by panel mounted switches) then you will need to operate them by an external power supply, ideally offering 16 volts AC and ideally also use a CDU. Gaugemaster sell both - WM-1 and their CDU. Both are cheaper to obtain from other suppliers such as Hattons! Only one CDU is needed for the whole layout usually.
For Panel operation, you MUST only use a toggle switch that is of the non locking type - Sprung to centre Off, often referred to as (On)-Off-(On) type. Or use two press to make non locking push button switches. Or stud & Probe selection.

Link to WM1 WM1 example
Link to Gaugemaster CDU Link 2

On no account should any of the Analogue wiring be connected to the DCC wiring.

You do not normally need Insulated Rail Joiners - plastic fishplates (IRJs / Nylon rail joiners) on Insulated frog Setrack points. But on DCC it is normal to have all rails live regardless of the points position (which are self isolating to the unset direction). So to overcome the self isolating feature you will need to add additional rail feeds after the points.

I have no idea what you are referring to re two Brass Plates?
[Image << Click the Icon to go to my website
Broken? It was working correctly when I left it.

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Sun Dec 16, 2018 8:29 pm

Rusty1643 wrote:Why do I have to remove the 2 brass plates under the points then solder them in a different places as shown in the video

Hi Rusty,
Can you post a link to the video?
Regards
Rob

Rusty1643

Postby Rusty1643 » Fri Jan 04, 2019 4:30 pm

Hi
Sorry about the delay in replying this was due to prolonged illness over the xmas period.
I picked the comment about removing small plates from points on a video by cheekytek
Thank you to all who replied to my question
A belated Happy New Year to all members I will try and not bother you too much in 2019 with what may seem trivial matters to the experienced modellers.
Regards & Thanx again for your patience
Don

Ironduke

Postby Ironduke » Fri Jan 04, 2019 8:35 pm

Did you work it out?

Is this the video you referred to? https://youtu.be/ZjLGLblG350 It makes no reference to removing any brass plates that I could see.
Regards
Rob

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:15 am

I don’t suppose he could be referring to rail joiners, perhaps?

Free_at_last

Postby Free_at_last » Mon Jan 07, 2019 1:45 pm

Bramshot wrote:I don’t suppose he could be referring to rail joiners, perhaps?

I wouldn't think so as he also makes mention of metal fishplates and plastic joiners.
These 'brass plates' appear to be something else, of which I am also intrigued by.
Pete.
Gauge is not spelt guage. Remember to put another "m" in remeber. Manufacturers has two "r"s in.
When you buy something, you have bought it, not brought it.
Before you post, are you really LOL and do you NEED to tell us?

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”