Manufacturer?

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
sjgarth

Manufacturer?

Postby sjgarth » Sat Oct 20, 2018 2:50 pm

Hi,
I have obtained a Graham Farish N gauge train set, the 370-130 the night mail set.
I wish to extend the track and turn it into a 'proper' layout.
Could anyone tell me who the manufacturer of the track is?
The Graham Farish catalogue has some track in it, but it is short on choice compared to Peco et al.
I am doing this on a very very small budget and want to utilise second hand as well as new track.
Could I use the existing Graham Farish with Peco to give me a wider choice?
Thanks in advance of your expert opinions.
Yours
Steve

Mountain

Re: Manufacturer?

Postby Mountain » Sat Oct 20, 2018 4:10 pm

You can certainly use Peco track. While I've never tried Graham Farish track myself, as far as I'm aware it is most likely to be code 80. Peco track in N gauge comes in either code 80 or code 55. Their code 55 is made in such a way that the railheight lines up with their code 80 track.Peco code 80 track is the same as their sectional track range.
If there is a slight difference in rail height between Graham Farish track and Peco one can easily still join the two by gently filing the higher rail surface to meet the other and polishing the rail surface up with a Peco or a Hornby track cleaning rubber. Go gentle on the track if filing as N gauge track is thin.
HopefullyN gauge enthusiasts can advise more as my brief venture to test out N gauge was limited to Peco sectional track (Code 80) along with a few pieces of Peco code 55 flexible track.
Any model railway shop that knows their stuff can also advise. :)

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Sat Oct 20, 2018 11:51 pm

At one time it was Peco N Setrack whether or not it carried Peco's branding I don't know.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

locoworks

Postby locoworks » Fri Dec 07, 2018 7:23 pm

depending on how old the set is it may have roco track in it. my first set which had the maroon duchess in it had roco track. easy way to tell is if a 90 degree bend takes 2 identical pieces of track it is peco, if it takes 3 pieces it is roco.

b308

Postby b308 » Sat Dec 08, 2018 8:35 am

If it's British made it'll be code 80 rail and so will be compatible with Peco. To clarify what Mountain was saying if you get N gauge track made on Mainland Europe (for instance by Roco) it will be code 83, there's no problem joining them but as he says it is best to champher the end of the rail for the code 83 track so you have a smooth joint.

Peco's code 55 rail isn't code 55! The rail depth is actually code 80 but they hide the depth of the rail by having the rail deeper in the sleepers to make the track look more realistic. Peco themselves do a genuine code 60 rail (sold as OO gauge 3rd Rail) and someone else (C&L or Marceway, can't remember which) do a genuine code 55 rail which is a lot finer than Peco's. You can also get code 40 which is what the 2mm Association members use for their finescale layouts!

But just stick with Peco Code 80 if you are just starting out as some of the older N gauge locos have crude wheel flanges which will not run on the finer track!

http://www.geocities.ws/ozzscott/Ntrack.html

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”