N Gauge Points - standard or long

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
JamesNewbie

N Gauge Points - standard or long

Postby JamesNewbie » Thu Aug 16, 2018 10:58 pm

HI,

I've got 4 sidings and each of them will eventually have coaches in (at least 5 in each siding), now as you can imagine, that'll be a long train!, the question is what "size" point should i go for? either a "standard point" or a "long point"?

If it helps, i have a half loop as my railway, and it's modelled, on a non specific shunting yard/sidings. i already have 4 sidings all leading into the right hand center of the half loop and im not sure what would work best on what point i should get to "lead" to the rest of the sidings. Im not sure wether to get a right hand curved point or a standard right hand point?

thanks

End2end

Re: N Gauge Points - standard or long

Postby End2end » Fri Aug 17, 2018 1:56 am

Common rhetoric is to not use curved points.
Hope that helps.
Thanks
End2end
"St Blazey's" - The progress and predicaments.
Welcome‎
Planning
Building
St. Blazey's Works & Depot thread

JamesNewbie

Postby JamesNewbie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 8:09 am

so i should go with a "normal" right hamd point then? if so, will i need a "standard" point a "long" point?

cheers

Buggleskelly

Postby Buggleskelly » Fri Aug 17, 2018 9:26 am

Probably a more useful reply for consideration, here is a comment from another member in reference to OO points, but should be relevant in N gauge as well. :-

Mountain said :-
At the end of the day, like the prototype, you can only use what fits in the location you have available, so if you only have room for small radius pointwork, using this will follow prototype practice as even real railways are not going to squash in a large radius point if it means sacrificing space elsewhere (E.g. by needing to use sharper curves after it) to do it.

Don't forget to make use of the search function, as there is a lot of very useful information here.

JamesNewbie

Postby JamesNewbie » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:22 am

so a "standard" point would be best for me??

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”