Kato Eurostar power cars uncoupling

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Evangelist

Kato Eurostar power cars uncoupling

Postby Evangelist » Sun Jul 01, 2018 10:09 pm

I'm new to the hobby and was looking for a set to begin with. I could only find the Kato Eurostar that fit the bill, but I'm having problems with the power car and dummy car uncoupling during operation.
The peg type couplers seem to not function correctly. It has been very hot lately and maybe the plastic is a bit soft. I can hardly believe how such an issue is present in such an expensive model. If I was in charge at Kato I would be looking at letting some people go and redesigning.
Anyway I was wondering if there is anything that can be done to improve it? Aftermarket couplers or even making something to replace them.
I could always glue them together but that wouldn't be very good when it comes to storing the train.

LittleReggie

Re: Kato Eurostar power cars uncoupling

Postby LittleReggie » Wed Jan 02, 2019 8:34 pm

Hi.

Probably a bit late now, but this normally happens when the pegs aren't engaged properly in the first place. It's very easy to do this. When they are engaged properly they don't come apart without tilting the coaches.

Byegad

Re: Kato Eurostar power cars uncoupling

Postby Byegad » Thu Jan 03, 2019 11:19 am

I love Kato and have many items from them, the issue I have is that they use different couplings in some of their multiple units. So my series 100/110 KiHa dmus have one style shared by my HB E300, the two Shinkansen E3s have another, while my KRT 3000s have the usual Rapido. Add to this that they offer Rapido and a knuckle coupling as options, and no the knuckle won't happily couple Dapol Easi-shunts.
All the rolling stock, passenger or freight is fitted with Rapidos.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”