Farish 4MT 2-6-0 issue's

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
markS&D

Farish 4MT 2-6-0 issue's

Post by markS&D »

Hi folks, posting on behalf of my father again.

My father recently purchased the Farish BR class 4 mogul. Looks great, however it has an issue that appears to be a design fault. The locomotive has a ridiculous amount of coupled axle side play, which is causing the valve gear to lock up. Basically the leading coupled axle crankpin hits the rear of the cylinder slidebar assembly, when the locomotive changes direction.

Short of putting some sort of plastic spacer between the wheels and the chassis, we cannot see any way of rectifying the problem.

Has anyone else had this issue?
Bramshot

Re: Farish 4MT 2-6-0 issue's

Post by Bramshot »

I have had loads of issues with coupling rods on new locos, sometimes the wheels seize, I have had a problem similar to yours and managed to slightly bend things to obtain clearance. Is the crank pin actually fully screwed in? I have had loose ones. There usually is quite a bit of sideplay to allow the locos to get round bends that are so much tighter than true scale.
I would send it back. If it came from H you will get a replacement sharpish.

I have had probs with probably 50% of the steam locos I have bought! Quality control is awful.

Thinking on, I did have one of these and it was sent back, I think because of jamming wheels. I changed it for an N Class, which runs nicely.