Troublesome trucks!

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Bramshot

Troublesome trucks!

Post by Bramshot »

I have a set of 3 Farish Tarmac wagons, and lately the loco has been having difficulty hauling a rake which includes them. On investigation, I found that these wagons were not free running and represented a heavy load. They will not run any distance at all if given a push, while others will go a good 3 feet.

So I replaced them with a new set of 3 Farish Egg Waggons. These are freer running, but have started to squeak after just a couple of days. On investigation, I find that the wheels have a lot of radial movement in their bearings and are definitely ‘not right’. I am sure they were ok out of the box, as I checked, given the problems with the Tarmac waggons.

Anyone know of Farish having problems in this area? It seems strangely coincidental that two recent sets are having axle/ bearing problems. Maybe the manufacturers are cutting corners and using the wrong plastic. It doesn’t ‘feel’ the same as others which I believe use polypropylene.
Mountain

Re: Troublesome trucks!

Post by Mountain »

If you were in 00 or larger (If the design uses pinpoint axles) one can buy brass bearings to solve any issues, but unfortunately I'm not sure what is available in N gauge in this way and I'd not like to fit the things! I know that trying to hold the tiny things in 00 gauge or 7mm narrow gauge is not always easy! The results are worth it though.
Is anyone aware of such a solution in N gauge? Are brass bearings available for N gauge? Are they too difficult to think of fitting them if they are?
I must say that my N gauge modelling experiences and my 009/H0e experiences were not sufficiently long enough to come across such issues except for a single pair of wheels which were not properly moulded so only had a fraction of pinpoint. (Was a H0e wagon).
Sometimes in 00 gauge if one fits new wheels with metal axles, one needs to to hold the axle boxes tight to "Wear in" the new axle boxes to work with the new wheels, as there can be slight length differences and slight differences in the angles of the pinpoint ends which can cause wheels to have difficulties in rotating. One does need patience in doing this as it takes a good few minutes of force rotating to get them the axles to score themselves some room but the results do work. I would not try to do this wit plastic axles and the smaller the scale, the more careful one needs to be. What one really could do with is some device which can rotate the wheels at speed while they are sitting in position on the chassis so as to bed them in nicely. Maybe one day a manufacturer could make such a device which could also clean wheels while it does it?
I've just thought of a device which I know is available in 00 gauge and it should also be available in N gauge and that is an axle box reaming device. This may help. Not sure where to get these though but it is worth a look.
Bramshot

Re: Troublesome trucks!

Post by Bramshot »

Thanks, these are all metal axles and wheels. I just don’t think brand new waggons should have this problem, and wondered if anyone else had heard of problems with Farish kit, which I normally associate with being high quality.

It’s as though the frames are made of polystyrene instead of polypropylene, and have a very high wear rate. Could try a small dab of polystyrene cement to see it they are affected by it, polyprop ones wouldn’t be.