Different companies and track power

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
b9y

Different companies and track power

Postby b9y » Sat Jan 20, 2018 1:48 pm

Hello all,

So I'm going to buy a starter set, as it seems worthwhile compared to buying a used controller / loco. I just need to test the prebuilt layout I purchased.

I'm looking at a Fleischmann set, does anyone know how they power the rails at all? I'm trying to find information but I'm either looking in the wrong place or it's scarce haha.

Ironduke

Re: Different companies and track power

Postby Ironduke » Sat Jan 20, 2018 8:51 pm

Do you have a link to what you're looking at?
Regards
Rob

b9y

Postby b9y » Sat Jan 20, 2018 10:40 pm

Yes certainly, it's http://www.scograil.co.uk/fleischmann-9 ... 1669-p.asp

Only one picture but i found a list of stuff included, I assume it's a power track? Only I have a prebuilt layout I bought, with lots of wiring. I guess I'm worried somehow that I'll buy the wrong thing and not be able to power it unless I solder. I assume all companies have some simple form of track power method, but I understand some controllers aren't as plug and play like Hornby for example.

TimberSurf

Postby TimberSurf » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:07 pm

I think that set has push button wire connectors on the controller and as track is supplied, it will come with two of these http://www.conrad.it/ce/it/product/2145 ... tto-1-Polo. To connect it to your two new acquisitions, I imagine there should already be some wiring that connects to the track. You need to investigate the existing wiring to see what it does!
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Sat Jan 20, 2018 11:08 pm

That will be track power in N gauge.
Different makes have different clips or track terminals. Some are built as part of the rails and others clip or slot into the rails. Most of us will just get the soldering iron out when we wire up out layouts. Whichever way one prefers. Soldering isn't as difficult as it seems. If I can do it then others should be able to! Just practice on scrappy secondhand track. That way if one melts any sleepers then it does not matter. (Soldering has to be slightly more precise in N gauge so if you want to try, practice first on something that does not matter).
Nothing wrong with using terminal rails as long as they hold the wires well. If you find that you need more track terminals, they can be purchased separately. Peco make little clips if I remember correctly for N gauge and they make them for 00 as wrell.
Hopefully some who know more about Fleishmann N gauge can say more to answer your question more specifically.

b9y

Postby b9y » Sun Jan 21, 2018 1:31 am

That's fantastic thank you guys. To be honest I'm sure I'll be ok with trying to solder. One of the layouts has two wires already soldered to the track and sticking out to the sides, this wouldn't affect anything if I added clips somewhere else would it, if you know? The rest of the wires for the signals are all joined up and connecting to a black pin terminal, I'll take some pictures soon and post them, i made another post 'so i bought 2 layouts', I'll stick them on there :)

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”