Farish A2, tender wheels

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
markS&D

Re: Farish A2, tender wheels

Postby markS&D » Fri Dec 22, 2017 7:25 pm

Unfortunately though, this only solved the problem with the A2, my father also has:

Farish Black 5 - Which will only haul 4 coaches on the gradients
Farish 4MT 2-6-0 - Which will only haul 3 coaches on the gradients
Farish J39 - which will only haul 13 + 1 guards van, 16 ton mineral
wagons on the gradients

All of which are also tender drive models.

This has had the effect of putting my father off purchasing any more with tender drive mechanisms. Especially since farish now appear to be reverting back to loco drives with their newer releases.
My layout, only look if you are interested:

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48422

Latest Video Link:

https://youtu.be/g5ytOK5FCZc

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Sat Dec 23, 2017 11:47 am

In case you were thinking of trying Dapol...
I stopped buying them early on after having a lot of trouble with one in particular. I have always bought Farish since then, though to be honest I think I have had just as much trouble with them out of the box. The one I had was their peculiar system with motor in tender, shaft through cab to give drive through loco wheels. This never worked properly as I don’t think there was enough weight in the tender to counteract the motor torque, and it would vibrate and buzz on the rails. Other faults made me junk it.

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Thu Dec 28, 2017 7:48 pm

Bramshot wrote:In case you were thinking of trying Dapol...
I stopped buying them early on after having a lot of trouble with one in particular. I have always bought Farish since then, though to be honest I think I have had just as much trouble with them out of the box. The one I had was their peculiar system with motor in tender, shaft through cab to give drive through loco wheels. This never worked properly as I don’t think there was enough weight in the tender to counteract the motor torque, and it would vibrate and buzz on the rails. Other faults made me junk it.

Ahh, my Dad already has purchased 2 items from Dapol:

Cranmore Hall & Forhampton Grange.

The Hall works OK, but the Grange sounds like an old electric cement mixer with a knackered gearbox! Need I say more..

Latest Video Link:

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:08 pm

Has he got the Gaugemaster decoder that Dapol supply? I think most of the problems I had with noise etc came from that. After junking the Dapol A3 I had ( Gladiateur), I moved the decoder to another loco which was equally noisy, until I changed it to another type, (Bachmann by Soundtraxx, I think ) which transformed it. Higher motor PWM frequency, I think. Since then, I have tried Zen ( for stay alive capability, which I have found essential for my Farish A1 and A2’s) and also the new Bachmann by Zimo. The latter in particular is very smooth, with very good low speed running.

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:34 pm

I do believe that these are fitted with the Gaugemaster decoders, the 2 models came DCC fitted, I advised my father that this might be the easier option for him, as I was unsure (being a 00 gauge modeller) how difficult fitting DCC chips into N scale locos would be.

As it turns out the bachmann tender locos are quite easy, just drop out the tender coal, and fit the chip. The Dapol Grange makes just as much noise, if the blanking plug is fitted and the loco is run on DC control.

Latest Video Link:

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”