Farish A2, tender wheels

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
markS&D

Farish A2, tender wheels

Postby markS&D » Sat Dec 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Hi all.

My father is in the process of building an N scale layout based on Lner practice, he recently bought a farish A2 pacific, but due to the fact he wants to run 10 coach trains, and his layout has gradients, of 1:40, the A2 slips to a stand.
This model only has traction tyres on the rear tender wheels, is it possible to purchase extra tender wheels that are suitable for traction tyres, and fit them, to give the model more grip?
My layout, only look if you are interested.

viewtopic.php?f=22&t=48422

Bramshot

Re: Farish A2, tender wheels

Postby Bramshot » Sun Dec 10, 2017 10:37 am

Yes, Bachmann service dept will sell you some. I had the same issue, but only pulling 5 coaches up gradients. I doubt it would manage 10 up gradients even with the extra set of tyred wheels, but might manage the flat. I have one extra set placed next to the originals. I don’t know how it would work with even more. You will not lose much track connectivity as a result as the tender wheels are very ineffective as contacts ( try running the tender without the loco). The loco wheels do most of the electrical work.
If it is important to you, make sure you get the correct ones. I was sent two sets of solid wheels and the LNER one has spoked, I think.

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:28 pm

OK, thank you for the reply.

My father has spent a lot of time planning this layout, he wanted to run scale length expresses, this has thrown a spanner in the works, he has got an original Minitrix Brittania, and it hauls the same train easily.

Don't think the tender drive is a particularly good idea, due to the lack of weight especially in this scale.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Sun Dec 10, 2017 8:37 pm

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Mon Dec 11, 2017 10:28 am

You could try putting four tyred axles in the tender, that might do the trick. They were’t expensive, as I recall. However, a good heavy loco drive will always be better. My best is Farish coronation, but that doesn‘t help as there is no LNER, being, I think, a west coast loco. I suspect even that would have trouble hauling 10 up a gradient.

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:32 am

I contacted Bachmann spares on my father's behalf, they are sending us 4 tender axles with traction tyred wheels fitted, £5 each. Hopefully, the loco will do what he wants.

if not, he might have to alter the entire layout :cry:

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Wed Dec 13, 2017 11:47 am

markS&D wrote:I contacted Bachmann spares on my father's behalf, they are sending us 4 tender axles with traction tyred wheels fitted, £5 each. Hopefully, the loco will do what he wants.

if not, he might have to alter the entire layout :cry:

Did you look at this link? It is supposed to solve the exact problem he is having? For £16 I cant see the harm in trying. Plenty of videos on YouTube about it

https://www.dccconcepts.com/product/pow ... t-n-scale/

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:16 pm

Sorry, yes we did have a look, he is considering it, but initially he just wants to see if the extra traction tyres work, before he disturbs all the track that he has laid on the gradients.

It is an interesting concept, similar to the "magnadeshion" from Triang/Hornby.

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:19 pm

markS&D wrote:Sorry, yes we did have a look, he is considering it, but initially he just wants to see if the extra traction tyres work, before he disturbs all the track that he has laid on the gradients.

It is an interesting concept, similar to the "magnadeshion" from Triang/Hornby.

That's OK. Just wanted to check, would be awful if he couldn't get things working when options such as that may help. Fingers crossed the wheels work, can totally understand not wanting to lift and relay track. Good luck!!!

fourtytwo

Postby fourtytwo » Thu Dec 14, 2017 11:00 am

Not much help except some experience, I have been modelling in N for at least 30 years steam outline with 10 & 12 coach trains and I have to admit initially coming from an OO background I was shocked at the low adhesion of steam outline N gauge. Consiquentially in the planning stage I go for gradients of 1:100 on the mainline though not alway's acheived in practice, this allows me to run any loco unmodified and more importantly 100% metal wheel coaches. My present layout is FLAT as I got fedup with the problem!! I don't have any loco's with traction tyres partly because I have always been suspicious the rubber will soon get buffed into a shine, harden and dropoff and partly because I have enough pickup problems already without insulating more wheels :) Everybody to there own thats just my experience and opinion.
Does the pain of N gauge steam ever end!

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:48 pm

You have ordered 4, that leaves you one spare as one is already fitted!

You might also need to see if you can cram some additional weight into the tender. Also make sure the loco is completely free running. I have had some with binding linkages and any additional friction there could scupper your chances of success.

Personally, I have never had any difficulty with traction tyres polishing up.

Another approach which you may consider is this; if your layout has the gradients running the same way, for example low end to the left, high end to the right, (so perhaps up at the back, down again at the front) you can tilt the entire baseboard so that the gradient is halved, being spread over the actual gradients and the nominally horizontal part. Believe it or not, the eye still thinks that the nominal horizontal board is horizontal, and anyway, why should it necessarily be horizontal. This is what I had to do to get my layout to work, I might have been a bit aggressive with the gradients, though not far from the 1:40 that your dad was planning.

markS&D

Postby markS&D » Tue Dec 19, 2017 7:31 pm

I ordered 4 traction tyred wheelsets, which I was very specific about when I rang Bachmann spares, however when the package arrived yesterday, they had sent 2 wheelsets with traction tyres, and 2 plain wheelsets without!

The upshot of this meant that the A2, would have to manage with 3 traction tyred wheelsets, fitted, we chose to have the rear 3 axles with tyres.

After a run up and down light engine, to make sure it still picks up electric, which it did, it was now time to test the loco on the gradients. As my father wanted 10 coach trains, (which is the maximum for his platform lengths), we coupled up 10 farish mk1's. As a real test, I made sure that the loco and 10 coaches were all on the gradient, we wanted to see if the loco would start the train from a standstill on the gradients.

I am pleased to report that with the rear 3 tender axles all fitted with tyres, the A2 was able to start the train and accelerate it away, with no wheelslip whatsoever :D

Now to sort his farish black 5, which will only just haul away 4 coaches :roll:

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Wed Dec 20, 2017 10:31 am

Well done! Though I would still be tempted to go for all 4 axles. As I said before, the electrical pickup is pretty much all done via the loco wheels.
Black 5 tender only has 3 axles, two of which were supplied tyred on mine, with a plain set to change one out to untyred. Works all right forward, but won’t push 5 (with coach lighting axle springs) backwards on the flat. You may have more of a problem with that.
I hate those old fashioned wheel contacts - gave me no end of bother getting them all to make contact and not get caught up in spokes.
Where possible, all my future locos will be loco drive, contacts on tender wheels, tyred, bearing wheel pickups, aka with the princess coronation class.
Get Bachmann to change those wheelsets for what you ordered!

mumbles

Postby mumbles » Thu Dec 21, 2017 6:34 am

Good news. Nothing like the satisfaction of solving a problem

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:56 am

Back about 20 -25 years ago it was N gauges climbing and hauling capability which I found attractive. I am almost sure that back then all locos of the Graham Farish fleet were heavy things with loco drive? I only purchased the class 08. This had a cast metal body.
I was quite surprised that tender drive has been adopted, as in 00 gauge it came in and went due to the many complaints from modellers during the decade and a half of using them. (It was not the ringfield or pankake motors most of us had the issues with as such motors in short wheelbase 4 wheel or 6 wheel steam locos seemed to behave themselves and were very easy to maintain. Limas con rods were a bit too much of a manufacturing shortcut on some of their designs!)
I can only guess that tender drive makes things easier to buy into DCC, though I have to confess that if I was to take up this scale again, I would not use DCC as to me the DCC advantages are not worth the effort of conversion, though others may disagree. After all, it is all up to us how difficult or easy we can make things for ourselves!
It is good to know such models can be made to perform better without too much issues and I know with Bachmann, from personal experience along with what many others have said that they are a good company to deal with. Nothing seems too much trouble and they go out of their way to keep a good stock of spares for their models.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”