Farish class 55 problem

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Bramshot

Farish class 55 problem

Postby Bramshot » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:08 pm

My 55 just suddenly stopped working. I suspect the decoder has popped, but a second one didn’t work either, so there could be something fundamentally wrong with the loco, still less than 1 year old! I want to return it with blanking plug as supplied, but which blanking plug should I use? I didn’t keep the original one with the original packaging, so it is mixed up with all the others I have. I note the ones from my steam locos have inductors on them, but there are two whopping great inductors and diodes and capacitors and resistors (!) on the pcb in the 55 loco. I have blanking plates with no components on them, should one of those be used with the 55?
Symptoms are, no drive in either direction, light on / off works, but they only change direction indication of the direction is changed at zero speed setting. Do not show change if direction is changed while a speed is set. They used to but would change indication as loco speed went through zero.

Bramshot

Re: Farish class 55 problem

Postby Bramshot » Mon Oct 16, 2017 10:49 pm

Ok, problem solved, I believe I have identified the correct blanking plug.
I have also proved the problem is with the loco as the decoder works perfectly in an identical class 55 which I had in reserve and had forgotten about, which is also how I identified the plug type.

Mountain

Postby Mountain » Thu Oct 19, 2017 12:53 am

Is often not easy to find where faults are. If the loco is as young as you say, you could mention it to the manufacturer or the place where you bought it from to see if it can be sorted out for you. Most issues are actually simple though N gauge is tiny to try to work with. How those guys with T gauge manage I've no idea! :lol:
Well, I hope all is sorted and your loco can be brought back to good health. I've only disassembled a Graham Farish class 08 (Older type) just out of curiosity and it was a job to get the brushes and springs back in! I only did it the once, so I can sympathise.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:19 pm

The loco has been returned to Bachmann for repair, under warranty, I hope! One thing I noticed when testing the decoder in the other 55, which has never been run before, was that it seemed much smoother than the failed one. That one has always made a sort of grumbling noise which I had assumed was normal for the type, but maybe it isn’t and might be an indication of the fault?

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”