Dapol or Farish HST?

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Shuntyman

Dapol or Farish HST?

Post by Shuntyman »

Hello all, can someone, preferably one who owns both types of HST advise me on the relative merits of the Farish and Dapol models? There seem to be plenty of Farish examples out there and Dapol ones a relatively rare. I'm assuming the older models are not as good. What i'd like to know is, can i get smooth running out of an older Farish model? Or should i plump for Dapol and spend a bit more?

I'm not averse to a 'doer upper' but i'd like to know the basics on each model including dcc-abilty. I'll be running on code 80 with electrofrog points if that makes any odds.

Thanks,
Neal.
hairyhandedfool

Re: Dapol or Farish HST?

Post by hairyhandedfool »

There really is no contest here, the only reason I'd pick the Farish one is if I really couldn't afford the Dapol one, and I couldn't manage to save up any extra funds in the next year.

Farish

DCC - No, DC only. Chassis provides electrical connection to motor.
Headlights - Printed detail only

Dapol

DCC - 6 pin socket onboard
Headlights - Working head/tail lights for both directions of travel.
"Dying is easy, its living that scares me to death"
Annie Lennox - Cold (from the album "Diva")

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan
Shuntyman

Post by Shuntyman »

Thanks that's a good reply, i'm in a situation where my layout can't progress until i have a hst because i want to squeeze a 2+3 set into my terminus and it will come down to a few cm here or there so i want the model to do the measuring by. I better keep an eye on fleabay for a dapol job then 8)
michaelasc

Post by michaelasc »

The Dapol HST wins every time for me
This is not my circus and these are not my monkeys!
hairyhandedfool

Shuntyman wrote:Thanks that's a good reply, i'm in a situation where my layout can't progress until i have a hst because i want to squeeze a 2+3 set into my terminus and it will come down to a few cm here or there so i want the model to do the measuring by. I better keep an eye on fleabay for a dapol job then 8)
Dapol Power Car - 121mm (add 1mm for a buffer fitted power car)
Dapol Mk3 Coach - 153mm
Coupler space - 1-2mm between vehicles depending on slack.

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan
Shuntyman

Post by Shuntyman »

hairyhandedfool wrote: Dapol Power Car - 121mm (add 1mm for a buffer fitted power car)
Dapol Mk3 Coach - 153mm
Coupler space - 1-2mm between vehicles depending on slack.
Thanks that is some very useful info. That makes 709mm for a 2+3 set, and i reckon i have 760mm to play with, hopefully i won't deviate too much from the plan.

Dapol hst sets seem as rare as rocking horse droppings. They have an early livery on the dapol website but that would be full whack. Seems i'll have to keep my eyes peeled.
hairyhandedfool

Hattons have various liveries for pre-order at around £160, which isn't bad for two power cars and two mk3s. There's a Virgin Trains 2+3 set on ebay currently for £95.

Stressed? Fight my brute
You can now join my Clan
Shuntyman

Post by Shuntyman »

Wow it went for £95 too. Nice bargain for someone, shame the livery was a bit late for my tastes.