N-gauge Pacific without traction tyres.

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
abenn

N-gauge Pacific without traction tyres.

Postby abenn » Mon Jan 02, 2017 11:38 am

I was sorely tempted to buy the GF "Tornado" but I'm put off by the fact that reviews all say it needs traction tyres if it's to haul anything other than itself.

So now I'm looking at the Dapol 2S-017 Britannia which, according to the info on the Dapol page, has a tender-mounted motor driving the loco wheels. The info says nothing about traction tyres, so can anyone confirm that it doesn't use them please?

Bramshot

Re: N-gauge Pacific without traction tyres.

Postby Bramshot » Mon Jan 02, 2017 1:47 pm

The GF Tornado comes equipped with one tyred axle (rearmost set) on the tender. An additional tyred axle is supplied. With both fitted in the rearmost locations, it will haul well up my perhaps excessive gradient. There is also a spare untyred axle supplied if you want to do away with the tyres altogether. Hasn't given me any trouble, i.e. Not eaten tyres, though you do have to ensure the track is not greasy. Santa brought a Farish Royal Scot, also tender drive, supplied with two tyred axles (front and rear). This one is causing me some problems which I have not yet fully resolved.
I am not familiar with the Dapol Britannia, but did have their A3 (I think) Gladiateur. That was the same drive into the loco by shaft through the cab from the tender as you describe and gave nothing but grief from day one. It was equipped with one set of traction tyres on the loco drivers, so did not eradicate the need for them. It was scrapped!

abenn

Postby abenn » Mon Jan 02, 2017 8:02 pm

Thanks Bramshot. I would rather not have any traction tyres at all as my 00-gauge experience with them was that they're a PITA.

I've already got a Dapol Grange which has shaft drive from tender to loco, and it's running very smoothly and reliably for me -- after I replaced the pair of very thin wires that connect the tender pickups to the loco's, which broke very early on. So I'll be happy with the Dapol Britannia so long as it doesn't need traction tyres.

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Tue Jan 03, 2017 10:47 am

In what way were tyres a PITA? I can see that replacing tyres on loco drivers can be a problem, even more so on fiddly N scale, especially as the awful instruction manuals don't tell you how to do it. But at least on tenders wheels, they just slip over without having to undo much, if anything.
It was replacing tyres on Gladiateur that finally did for it when the linkages got busted in the process, and I then found that although all the parts are available as spares at reasonable cost, some of them can't be fitted to the loco body, at least by a home hobbyist!
Problem with N scale is that everything is so light that getting traction without tyres is going to be difficult. Do you have inclines?

abenn

Postby abenn » Tue Jan 03, 2017 12:17 pm

My layout is in my garage, so suffers extremes of temperature. I found that traction tyres on my 00-gauge perished quite quickly to the point where they expanded and either slipped or fell off. Some even crumbled into pieces. Then, fitting them to loco drive wheels was a bit fiddly, even in 00. That's not to mention the crud they left on the rails as they perished, plus the fact that electrical pickup to one set of wheels is sacrificed.

I do have a 1:40 incline, but my present locos without traction tyres all climb it with a decent length train with ease.

Looking through Dapol's on-line shop, some of their locos' descriptions mention traction tyres, and some don't. Hopefully the ones that don't mention it don't have them, but I'd like to be sure before I buy. I've emailed Hattons, and they've replied that they'll check it out but don't have the answer offhand.

ElDavo

Postby ElDavo » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:02 pm

The Brittannias have traction tyres on the loco. Not had a problem with them yet which is more than can be said for the Chinese electrics in the tender! Repaired twice by Dapol and now completely removed by me!

Cheers
Dave

abenn

Postby abenn » Tue Jan 03, 2017 1:09 pm

OK, thanks for that info ElDavo. I was hoping that, with the motor in the tender, they could ballast the loco as much as they needed to get a grip without traction tyres.

Edit: Seems like my quest is fruitless. Hattons have replied that none of the Farish and Dapol larger-wheeled locos come without traction tyres. So I'll have to live with them if I want a Pacific.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”