Quick question 4F 0-6-0 where to oil/lube?

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Benjit

Quick question 4F 0-6-0 where to oil/lube?

Postby Benjit » Wed Jul 06, 2016 1:33 pm

HI All,

Just got a quick question that i can't find the answer for.

I've read numerous topics online suggesting it's best practice to oil a new N gauge loco before running in.
However I've just purchased the Graham Farish Land ship loco set that contains the 4F engine and i can not see any info on where to oil?

I found this http://www.bachmann.co.uk/pdfs/GF_Class%204F.pdf PDF online but again it only gives info on running in for an hour each way.

Does this engine need oiling and if so where?

Thanks

Grahame

Re: Quick question 4F 0-6-0 where to oil/lube?

Postby Grahame » Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:18 pm

Lubrication and where to oil is mentioned in the fourth item down on the first page of that PDF. However, brand new Farish locos don't usually need pre-oiling (unlike many Dapol ones) before running-in although sometimes it helps to remove some of the transit/packing grease.

G.

Benjit

Postby Benjit » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:57 am

Thank as for your reply

Yes I had seen that part but I wasn't sure where that is. What part of the diagram are the bearings and how do i get to them? Am I really expected to take apart a brand new loco to oil those gears in the middle? Is that what it refers too?
It's a shame any work has to be done on new locos given the money we spend. I don't really have the confidence to take the engine apart and would like to avoid doing so.

Given you say Graham Farish models are usually oiled I may just skip this step and proceed to run in.

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Tue Aug 09, 2016 3:02 pm

As a general observation from one newly returned to rail modelling, I have to say that I am struck by the generally awful standard of documentation / instructions that are supplied with locos in particular. They always seem to leave more questions unanswered than you had before reading them!

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Tue Aug 09, 2016 4:57 pm

That's part of the down side to batch production in the far east, you can have instructions which are virtually unintelligible, or you can have understandable instructions that lack detail due to the author not having seen the item when they are printed.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Wed Aug 10, 2016 12:49 pm

That's no excuse. Who designs them? (The locos, not the instructions). They must get prototypes from their suppliers before agreeing to go to production, and as they are stocked at some point by the 'manufacturer' don't they open at least one up to have a look inside, then write some instructions? Just a pet dislike of mine, I'm afraid. Maybe a retirement job beckons!

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”