New Standard in N Gauge

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
michaelasc

New Standard in N Gauge

Postby michaelasc » Fri Jul 01, 2016 7:24 pm

Just when you thought things could not get better, I just took delivery of the Kato Special edition C50 steam locomotive which celebrates Kato being in N Gauge for 50 years. All I can say is wow, the detailing in fantastic and it runs like a dream right down to the slowest speed for extremely slow running. It is very quiet.

The loco comes with 5 sets of brass number plates for the sides, the smoke box and rear of the tender so that you can customize it yourself. Also, it comes in a beautiful presentation box with commemorative booklet showing Kato through the past 50 years and a commemorative CD. The whole thing is encased in an outer cover and then comes inside a close fitting clear plastic outer bag to protect it on the shelf.

I got it direct from Kato USA here: http://www.katousa.com/Zcart/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1681 but sadly it looks sold out. Anyway, I wanted to let you see the new standard that Kato have set. Now if only Dapol and Farish would follow suit.

Hopfully these pictures will help:

image01a.jpg
Front part of loco
image01a.jpg (150.67 KiB) Viewed 991 times

image01b.jpg
Rear of loco and tender
image01b.jpg (137.32 KiB) Viewed 991 times

image03.jpg
Front shot
image03.jpg (102.66 KiB) Viewed 991 times

Motion.jpg
Side view of the motion, notice there are no ugly screws
Motion.jpg (175.3 KiB) Viewed 991 times

Underside.jpg
Underside showing fine scale wheels
Underside.jpg (110.37 KiB) Viewed 991 times
This is not my circus and these are not my monkeys!

Grahame

Re: New Standard in N Gauge

Postby Grahame » Sun Jul 03, 2016 9:23 am

I'm not so sure it represents a new standard, many of today's models include a plethora of added fine details and many British locos don't have quite so many warty bits hanging off them, although the motion on the wheels does look commendably fine. I particularly like the slim connecting rods and that they aren't held on the wheels with gross oversized hex bolts (as with Farish) or screws (as with Dapol).

G.

michaelasc

Re: New Standard in N Gauge

Postby michaelasc » Sun Jul 03, 2016 2:36 pm

Hi Graeme
Well maybe I got a little carried away with my original headline. I'll give you that.

There are two thing that really impressed me.

Firstly, this was advertised for release early this year with a forecast that it would be delivered in July. It actually arrived on my doorstep on June 30th. I am a huge collector of Dapol and Farish and have seen numerous locos promised and not delivered on time during the past couple of years so to actually get something arrive early made me sit up and notice.

Secondly, this new Kato is a small loco, comparable to an LMS 4F 0-6-0. As you know, the real 4F was an impressively, powerful loco for its size. I have 4 of these new Farish models and they are superb in all respects except for their pulling power. This tiny Kato is about the same size and can pull twice what the 4F can pull, something to do with the weight and the traction tyres I guess but honestly, why do our newest, small steam locos in the UK have such poor tractive effort? It seems like we are trading performance for detail, and I'm not sure that's the right approach. I for one would pay a higher price if that's what it meant to get both.

I have to agree with you that the add-on bits on US locomotives take a bit of getting used to but they tell me this was done to aid in the maintenance, a sort of what you see is what it does. We Brits tended to like our steam locos with smooth lines with everything covered up and I was brought up on Stanier Duchess locos of the LMS and like them tremendously. It took a while for me to get used to the American locos and now I quite like them.

Michael
This is not my circus and these are not my monkeys!

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”