Nelevator

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Bigmet
Posts: 5684
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Nelevator

Postby Bigmet » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:05 pm

That's most impressive. Score for N gauge there: I chickened out of such a solution for my OO on moving mass grounds, as my storage requirement is 32 trains averaging 2.5kg, with a 6 metre length requirement to enable 60 wagon freights to fit . I could see a well designed system's moving element weighing near 200kg when loaded, and that requires quite serious engineering. Cost wise, constructing the equivalent storage capacity with plain track as a 'serial' store it's still expensive: at least 200 yards of track and the DCC sectioning gear, a few points to allow resquencing 'overtakes' within the storage, and then the structure to put all that on, takes you well past the £1000 mark.

fourtytwo
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:41 pm
Location: Norfolk (Bodecia's country) UK

Re: Nelevator

Postby fourtytwo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 7:44 pm

Bigmet wrote:That's most impressive. Score for N gauge there: I chickened out of such a solution for my OO on moving mass grounds, as my storage requirement is 32 trains averaging 2.5kg, with a 6 metre length requirement to enable 60 wagon freights to fit . I could see a well designed system's moving element weighing near 200kg when loaded, and that requires quite serious engineering. Cost wise, constructing the equivalent storage capacity with plain track as a 'serial' store it's still expensive: at least 200 yards of track and the DCC sectioning gear, a few points to allow resquencing 'overtakes' within the storage, and then the structure to put all that on, takes you well past the £1000 mark.

Thank you Bigmet well I have always believed in economic design and that includes finding a balance between economics and utopia, personally if I was designing this in OO I would compromise the requirements to make the result economic, apart from anything else dropping 200Kgs of expensive stock potentially 6ft onto a concrete floor makes my eyes water so for that reason alone I would not countenance such a large machine.

OTH if you compromise a bit on the train length and quantity a successful economic solution in OO is perfectly feasible. If OTH you must have long trains and lots of them then you obviously have space to burn and a static loop affair is the best answer, I only ever went to the effort of this complexity because her indoors demanded half of the spare room back and it was the only way of continuing to operate a large number of trains in the remaining space. Train lengths also had to be compromised from previously 10/11 coach down to 7 coach but having made the change frankly I dont notice :) BTW I would never think of spending £1000 on such a thing, I doubt this cost me £100! but then I model on a shoestring :)

I must add this successfully resolved my problems but I dont want to put it forwards as a universal panacia to storage problems, many layouts operate with manually lift in position shelves from a static stock box very successfully, I also considered a horizontally sliding fiddle yard but I didnt have the space, hence go vertical!
Does the pain of N gauge steam ever end!

Bigmet
Posts: 5684
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Nelevator

Postby Bigmet » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:14 pm

fourtytwo wrote:...if you compromise a bit on the train length and quantity a successful economic solution in OO is perfectly feasible. If OTH you must have long trains and lots of them then you obviously have space to burn and a static loop affair is the best answer...

Quite so. No compromising was the watchword in the design. Having lucked into the space to allow maximum 60 wagon or 14 coach trains for the 'ECML of my dreams' in OO nothing was getting in the way of that. I model on a 'beer budget': instead of an evening down the pub with the mates, (often talking railway, real and model) instead do the socialising around each other's layouts and spend the money on the kit. And lo and behold, instead of pushing up the value of brewery shares and expanding the waistline, all those 'pints' are now invested in tangible form on the progressively building layout.

fourtytwo
Posts: 68
Joined: Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:41 pm
Location: Norfolk (Bodecia's country) UK

Re: Nelevator

Postby fourtytwo » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:24 pm

Bigmet wrote:
fourtytwo wrote:...if you compromise a bit on the train length and quantity a successful economic solution in OO is perfectly feasible. If OTH you must have long trains and lots of them then you obviously have space to burn and a static loop affair is the best answer...

Quite so. No compromising was the watchword in the design. Having lucked into the space to allow maximum 60 wagon or 14 coach trains for the 'ECML of my dreams' in OO nothing was getting in the way of that. I model on a 'beer budget': instead of an evening down the pub with the mates, (often talking railway, real and model) instead do the socialising around each other's layouts and spend the money on the kit. And lo and behold, instead of pushing up the value of brewery shares and expanding the waistline, all those 'pints' are now invested in tangible form on the progressively building layout.

Being as poor as a church mouse I even have to brew my own beer too hahaha but I appreciate your life choices :)
Does the pain of N gauge steam ever end!

Bramshot
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Nelevator

Postby Bramshot » Fri Jan 13, 2017 1:50 pm

I've ordered one, in kit form, as an interesting build project as much as useful storage. Should arrive about March.

Bigmet
Posts: 5684
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Nelevator

Postby Bigmet » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:09 pm

Bramshot wrote:I've ordered one, in kit form, as an interesting build project as much as useful storage. Should arrive about March.

Plenty of folks will find a description interesting.

User avatar
TimberSurf
Posts: 1522
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 5:47 pm
Location: N.Wales
Contact:

Re: Nelevator

Postby TimberSurf » Fri Jan 13, 2017 8:49 pm

Is the double o version called an "Oolevator" ? :)
Image
Lumsdonia <--- Hit link to go to my website for full story and wiring advice!

Bramshot
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Nelevator

Postby Bramshot » Sat Jan 14, 2017 2:44 pm

Plenty of folks will find a description interesting.[/quote]
Will do, though there is quite a bit about them on the website.

I am having the shortest version, about 1 metre, which will be long enough for my made up sets, as well as not having enough space for a longer one. It will have to be mounted on one end of my table as there is no space left to 'let it in' to the baseboard area. With a couple of extension 'shelves' for the entry / exit tracks.

User avatar
PinkNosedPenguin
Posts: 1086
Joined: Tue Oct 01, 2013 10:23 pm
Location: Wiltshire

Re: Nelevator

Postby PinkNosedPenguin » Sat Jan 14, 2017 4:24 pm

Bramshot wrote:Plenty of folks will find a description interesting.

Me too :D
Also interested to hear about whats involved in building it from the kit version - please keep us informed if you are able, thanks!

Bramshot
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Nelevator

Postby Bramshot » Thu Mar 30, 2017 10:56 am

Latest newsletter from Nelevation says they have decided that the kit may be too complex for some to assemble at home, so they have dropped it for the time being and will supply only pre assembled units. Furthermore, they will deliver and assist with installation.
So I guess it must be a bit more tricky to get set up properly than at first thought.I am not sure at the moment if those (like me) who ordered the kit will have to pay the extra for the pre built version.
Still not sure when mine will arrive.

Bigmet
Posts: 5684
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Nelevator

Postby Bigmet » Thu Mar 30, 2017 2:29 pm

Bramshot wrote:Latest newsletter from Nelevation says they have decided that the kit may be too complex for some to assemble at home, so they have dropped it for the time being and will supply only pre assembled units. Furthermore, they will deliver and assist with installation...

That's not entirely surprising. The requirements for levelling, alignment registration and continuing mechanical stability for long term reliable operation are going to be demanding.

Bramshot
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Nelevator

Postby Bramshot » Tue Apr 04, 2017 11:50 am

Although mainly of interest to me, (I assume others in the same position will have found out for themselves), I have recently heard that Nelevation will honour the quoted prices for kits and not be charging the extra. A bit tough on those who ordered assembled ones I suppose, but the honourable thing to do.

Bramshot
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Nelevator

Postby Bramshot » Tue Oct 24, 2017 12:07 pm

It has arrived and been installed. Now it just needs the access tracks installing.

Bigmet
Posts: 5684
Joined: Tue Aug 14, 2007 2:19 pm

Re: Nelevator

Postby Bigmet » Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:58 pm

Do tell more about the operational experience, once the tracks are laid so that you are up and running.

Bramshot
Posts: 146
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:55 pm

Re: Nelevator

Postby Bramshot » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:12 pm

Will do. In due course there will be a photo of layout with Nelevator on the Nelevator website. Half the track is laid, the interface to the Nelevator has to be in code 55.


Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest