Nelevator

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Mountain

Re: Nelevator

Postby Mountain » Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:22 pm

I like the idea. With a permanent layout it is a good idea.
Enjoying 7mm narrow gauge.

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Sun Oct 29, 2017 6:27 pm

Well, the Nelevator is now installed and commissioned. There isn’t really much to say regarding using it. You set the level you want and simply drive the train in or out. Once you have set the rail gap during the set up process, and adjusted the height at which the elevator stops ( done at one level in the middle of the range)’ it accurately remembers where it should be when it stops for all levels.
You do need to make sure that you stop the train so it is clear of the ends. The Nelevator is powerful enough to do serious damage to rolling stock ( or fingers!) if it is moved while a train is only partly in. There is an emergency stop button should you spot impending doom.
There are additional products in the pipeline to help avoid this.

It is very well engineered so that it ‘just works’.
I use it with a single entrance / exit at one end at baseboard level, but you can use it in a straight through mode. A second set of portals at each end are available 2 shelves above baseboard level, if you have a second baseboard level that you want to transfer locos to or from. The full range of 10 storage levels is only available for the lower portals, levels 1 to 8 for the upper ones. Level 1 is the topmost.
If anyone has any specific questions I will be happy to answer if I can.
I am not putting any illustrations here as there are plenty on the Nelevation website, together with the detailed setup instructions.

michaelasc

Postby michaelasc » Sun Oct 29, 2017 11:50 pm

Thanks for the continued updates. I'm the originator of this post and am in the US and have seriously considered getting one, however from what I have read regarding needing them to install it makes me wary. Can you offer any insight as to whether I could do this myself?
This is not my circus and these are not my monkeys!

Bramshot

Re: Nelevat

Postby Bramshot » Mon Oct 30, 2017 1:14 am

michaelasc wrote:Thanks for the continued updates. I'm the originator of this post and am in the US and have seriously considered getting one, however from what I have read regarding needing them to install it makes me wary. Can you offer any insight as to whether I could do this myself?

I had a slot ready for it. Allen brought it in a car, but of course you would receive some sort of package. Basically it was in 4 main parts, the main Nelevator which just drops into the slot and can be fastened down if you want, but will just sit there under its own weight. Then the two Perspex sides, which latch onto the top and are held in place with two Allen screws each, then the control handset and power supply, which plug into the motor/ control housing mounted on the main Nelevator. Mine is the short N version, so not very heavy and easy to fit. If you want a bigger one it is probably a two man job to put it in the slot.

That’s all there was to it. The setting up is described in the instructions which you can download from their site.

So installation of the completed unit is very simple indeed and I am sure if you have built a railway you could install it yourself.

You do have to set the rail distances ( or check them) that the rails on the shelves project from the shelves themselves, before you attempt to motor it up and down, in case they have moved since the were built, this is described in the instructions.
You then have to lay your track (which must be code 55, for N at the interface to the Nelevator, you can convert to other codes further in to your layout), so that there is a 2mm gap between the rail end and the rails in the Nelevator.
The ends of your rails engage with sprung clips which provide the final track alignment and also are electrically connected to similar clips with which the moving rails in the Nelevator also engage, to transfer track power to them.
Finally, you use the setup feature to set the height at which the shelves stop, to give a step less transition between your rails and the moving ones.
I can understand that the original idea to optionally supply the Nelevator in kit form might well have been too difficult to assemble for most people, but fitting the completed item is not likely to cause you problems.
Note that the Nelevator needs to sit on a surface at the same level as the rails are mounted onto, so if you have an underlay between the baseboard and track, you need to insert the same thickness between the baseboard and Nelevator. The track will then be at the right height to enter the guide slots and engage the spring clips.

Bigmet

Postby Bigmet » Mon Oct 30, 2017 7:53 pm

First independent customer report I have seen, and sounds good.
Bramshot wrote:...The Nelevator is powerful enough to do serious damage to rolling stock ( or fingers!) if it is moved while a train is only partly in...

Interlocked guards on the portals of the elevator that have to fall onto the track to 'make' before the elevator action can commence would be the sensible way around this. Widely used principle proven on machine tools. They'll need that before considering export to the US market, as a personal injury suit would not be funny.

Bramshot

Postby Bramshot » Mon Oct 30, 2017 8:48 pm

I am assuming that fingers would be a problem, it may not be that powerful. Not going to try it to find out! I suppose you could build in a current limit so that the motors cut out/ reverse if the load gets too high.
Edit, I should add that it carries a Caution warning about not being a toy and is both CE and RoHS marked, though the latter refers to the use of materials in electronic equipment.
Another solution would be to add a short tunnel or other scenery onto the portals so that fingers could not get in, and to entirely block unused portals.
It should be noted that the portion underneath the baseboard, into which the trains sink when set to any level other than 10, is unprotected and therefore open to under layout crawlers. It is normal to keep the unit in the raised position when not in use so that the trains are protected by the Perspex covers.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”