Noisy new Farish 25/1

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
ParkeNd

Noisy new Farish 25/1

Postby ParkeNd » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:44 pm

I have just run in a new Farish 25/1. It makes a rubbing sound at a frequency dependent on speed but runs freely and smoothly. It is just as noisy now as when it came out of the box. It's almost a buzz and does it with the body on or off. Googling the problem throws up someone describing the sound as vitt vitt vitt vitt vitt - which is a pretty good description. A tiny touch of oil on the worm gear has made no difference.

Since this is the sort of irritating row that would consign it to it's box for ever has anyone any idea what it is ? Or do I just send it back?

Mallard

Re: Noisy new Farish 25/1

Postby Mallard » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:20 am

I am not an experienced modeller, but would it be helpful to contact Graham Farish and ask them if they know what it is, if it's a fault you can return it.

skyblue

Postby skyblue » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:27 am

I have heard of N-gauge models in which the drive shaft is disconnected or partly dissconected (although I don't know if this model has a 'driveshaft' as such - the context in which I heard of it was the Class 158 I believe). Might it be worth checking that the driveshaft is fully 'home'? To be honest, I'm just speculating.
Last edited by skyblue on Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

m8internet

Postby m8internet » Tue Jan 27, 2015 8:16 am

ParkeNd wrote:Or do I just send it back?

Yes, ask for the retailer to test a similar item before despatch and arrange exchange
Glasgow Queen Street Model Railway layout : modern image N gauge using DCC

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Tue Jan 27, 2015 10:40 am

m8internet wrote:
ParkeNd wrote:Or do I just send it back?

Yes, ask for the retailer to test a similar item before despatch and arrange exchange

Hattons advise the same. So it is has gone for a replacement this morning.

This means that between 6th January and 27th January this year I have tried to increase my fleet by 2 locomotives. Hattons have delivered 4 locomotives of which the Dapol Hall has excelled and remained, whilst a Manor, a Duchess, and now a Class 25/1 have been faulty. Nett increase in loco stock has been just 1.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:08 am

Hattons have just phoned having received the returned loco.

They say they tried another, then their full stock, and they all make the same noise. They say this is the noise the current motor fitted to the Class 25s makes apparently. Hattons were perfectly nice about it and offered either to send it back to me or a refund - if you need a Class 25 then whilst agreeing folk may not like it this is the noise they make.

I'm a bit gutted, not with Hattons but with Farish for accepting a product that sounds like that, but I have gone with the refund option.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Wed Jan 28, 2015 12:53 pm

The refund for the Class 25/1 has been processed, and having thought about it I have ordered a Dapol Class 22 6318 in blue with full yellow ends. Class 22s hauled the mineral trains at Parkend and my green Class 22 D6320 which I have photos of between Parkend and Lydney is my quietest and smoothest runner. Hattons are going to pretest the Class 22 before shipping.

The refund notice shows the green Class 25/1 going back into stock.

railsquid

Postby railsquid » Sun Mar 08, 2015 3:28 am

ParkeNd wrote:Hattons have just phoned having received the returned loco.

They say they tried another, then their full stock, and they all make the same noise. They say this is the noise the current motor fitted to the Class 25s makes apparently. Hattons were perfectly nice about it and offered either to send it back to me or a refund - if you need a Class 25 then whilst agreeing folk may not like it this is the noise they make.

Kind of relieved to hear that mine's not the only one. I'll have to live with the noise - it's mildly annoying but it disappears into the background after a while and I'd rather have that than no 25.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Sun Mar 08, 2015 9:13 am

Hi railsquid. I already had two of the Hattons bargain £49 Class 25/3s with the older chassis and body, and two of the new Class 24s which have the same chassis but different motor apparently, and all four are possibly Farish's quietest ever runners. So the new 25/1 running around with its loud vitt-vitt-vitt sound stood out like a sore thumb because of the comparison. In N especially I find that the new 25 doesn't look so different from a 24 and I think the old 25 is not so eclipsed with its new front profile that the racket from the newcomer was worth putting up with.

I have since the 25/1 episode kept a replacement Dapol Manor because I like its looks and because I have read in several places that the shattering row it makes by vibrating its tender wheels on the rails is normal for the model. However after five days of running, addition of specially sent for electrolube to the tender bearings and yet more running, it has found its way back into its box and the box is at the bottom of the pile in the storage case.

It is probably just my intolerance to vibration and harshness rather than just noise. In the same way that my Rolls Royce Motors apprenticeship has made me prioritise taking time to get things right rather than pursuing speed via a sub standard process to get something that is "nearly good enough quality". Definitely a form of intolerance.

LukeB

Postby LukeB » Tue Mar 10, 2015 8:31 am

Could you track down a new 25 body shell for an old chassis? It might be worth speaking to brlines.co.uk to see if they can source one.

railsquid

Postby railsquid » Sat Apr 04, 2015 6:24 pm

ParkeNd wrote:Hi railsquid. I already had two of the Hattons bargain £49 Class 25/3s with the older chassis and body, and two of the new Class 24s which have the same chassis but different motor apparently, and all four are possibly Farish's quietest ever runners. So the new 25/1 running around with its loud vitt-vitt-vitt sound stood out like a sore thumb because of the comparison. In N especially I find that the new 25 doesn't look so different from a 24 and I think the old 25 is not so eclipsed with its new front profile that the racket from the newcomer was worth putting up with.

I have since the 25/1 episode kept a replacement Dapol Manor because I like its looks and because I have read in several places that the shattering row it makes by vibrating its tender wheels on the rails is normal for the model. However after five days of running, addition of specially sent for electrolube to the tender bearings and yet more running, it has found its way back into its box and the box is at the bottom of the pile in the storage case.

It is probably just my intolerance to vibration and harshness rather than just noise. In the same way that my Rolls Royce Motors apprenticeship has made me prioritise taking time to get things right rather than pursuing speed via a sub standard process to get something that is "nearly good enough quality". Definitely a form of intolerance.

Sorry for the delayed reply... I live in Japan, which make sending-things-back-because-they're-mildly-annoying somewhat inconvenient and expensive, and give me much less chance of acquiring alternatives. Which means I'm more tolerant towards minor faults, at least as far as British stuff is concerned. It makes me sad that I've acquired second-hand Japanese locomotives from the "junk" pile in shops here for the equivalent of a tenner or so which outperform brand new locomotives from Chez BachFar, but given my circumstances I'll have to live with the odd annoyance.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”