Peco ST-300 N Gauge Starter Track Set

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
Lancastrian

Peco ST-300 N Gauge Starter Track Set

Postby Lancastrian » Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:49 pm

I am thinking of making an 'N' gauge layout, I have locos, rolling stock a Fleischmann controller from an earlier set that I bought, but the track has been used as a narrow gauge on my OO layout.

Has anyone any comments etc on the above track starter set please?
My Web Site Links: FGO & Boats and Canals (Forum)

LittleReggie

Re: Peco ST-300 N Gauge Starter Track Set

Postby LittleReggie » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:13 pm

I bought one a couple of years ago to get me back into the hobby. If you want to go down the setrack route and you already have locos, rolling stock and controller (and you have) then it is possibly the easiest and cheapest way to get a simple layout going. My only criticism as a beginner is the lack of a decent powerclip - the two metal spring clips provided are about as much use as a chocolate fireguard, and you will almost certainly want to invest in some pre-wired rail joiners (or make your own). To be fair, this appears to be a feature of N scale in general rather than a criticism of Peco. Bear in mind too that the curves supplied, if I remember rightly, are 1st radius, and again you will probably find you need to move to 2nd radius and larger fairly quickly.

The plan book is quite nice and shows you how to add to the starter set to expand your layout to double oval and beyond, including some very advanced layouts.

Regards,
Reg.

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:22 pm

Thanks for the information Reg, points well worth considering.

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:24 pm

Its not a bad starting point, if a little limiting to begin with, particularly with storage and operability. Personally speaking, I'd think about what sort of layout you want to build before you buy a track pack, whether its Peco, Kato or any other and go from there. The good thing about using setrack is it is easily and readily expanded, and the track plan book contained in the Peco set is fairly good for suggestions on expansion, the one sure thing is that you'll probably be buying more track sooner rather than later.

It sounds to me like this is to be a little side project rather than a main layout (you mention a 00 layout), so it will presumably be small and portable(ish) for storing out of the way, in which case setrack is probably the better option to begin with. If however it is going to be the start of something larger, I'd at least think about using streamline pointwork from the beginning as the setrack items are pretty restrictive due to being first radius. I've encountered a few problems using setrack pointwork in the past when I've tried using them to save space, particularly with pointwork into multiple sidings.

ParkeNd

Postby ParkeNd » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:37 am

Looking at what you get in the box which amounts to two points and a tiny amount of track the £42 price of the set at Hattons would buy you one LH and one RH Code 55 electrofrog point leaving £23 for 10 pieces of Code 55 flexi track equating to 33 feet of track.

Against this the ST-300 pack seems extremely expensive and it is difficult to find an argument in its favour.

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Sat Jan 03, 2015 10:56 am

ParkeNd wrote:Looking at what you get in the box which amounts to two points and a tiny amount of track the £42 price of the set at Hattons would buy you one LH and one RH Code 55 electrofrog point leaving £23 for 10 pieces of Code 55 flexi track equating to 33 feet of track.

Against this the ST-300 pack seems extremely expensive and it is difficult to find an argument in its favour.
Thank you, I have been looking at Hattons myself and they also have Graham Farish track that is reasonably priced.

Lancastrian

Postby Lancastrian » Sun Jan 11, 2015 4:37 pm

Just a quick update on this, I have finally decided on an initial layout and ordered the track. Although I know if my other layouts are anything to go by, this may not be the way it will end up.

CandO

Postby CandO » Fri Oct 30, 2015 10:36 pm

Looked at this myself but thanks to ParkeNd's comment I won't bother :D
Can somebody tell me whats is the difference between code 55 and code 80 please?? Can they be mixed??
Thanks in advance ;-)

Kentishman

Postby Kentishman » Thu Nov 05, 2015 7:53 am

CandO wrote:Can somebody tell me whats is the difference between code 55 and code 80 please?? Can they be mixed??
Thanks in advance ;-)

I believe that code 80 and code 55 track share the same rail. The difference arises with the plastic sleepers; for code 80, the rail sits on top of the sleepers, while for code 55 the rail is slightly recessed into the sleepers to give a lower profile and be a little more realistic. The two types of rail use the same rail joiners and can be mixed BUT you either need to use a converter track made by Peco between the two, or put thin card (or similar) under the code 55 at the join as a support for the difference in overall thickness.

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Sat Nov 07, 2015 10:55 am

Kentishman wrote:
I believe that code 80 and code 55 track share the same rail.

They are not the same but a little different. The 'code 55' is 55thou above the sleepers but the total height equates to about code 83. Also there is a 'foot' half way up so that the bit above the base looks appropriate. They can both be joined (80 + 55) although there is a small bump due to the slight overall height difference, and packing will be required under the code 55 sleepers.

G.

CandO

Postby CandO » Mon Nov 16, 2015 10:46 pm

Thanks Grahame and Kentishman, much obliged :D

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”