Older Lima N gauge

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
sandtrain

Older Lima N gauge

Postby sandtrain » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:15 pm

I managed to get some older Lima locos very cheap ( £10 each ), and they run fine.
They seem to be a bit bigger than the likes of Farish ......are Lima made to a slghtly dfferent gauge ?
These are at least 20 yrs old.

TK421

Re: Older Lima N gauge

Postby TK421 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:16 pm

The lima models are slightly bigger I think they are produced to european n gauge rather than british
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

Zunnan

Postby Zunnan » Sun Feb 17, 2013 9:18 pm

If they were to European scale, they'd be smaller (1:160 European vs. 1:148 British). Some of the old Lima rolling stock is more likely to be at 1:160, but the locos are often hugely overscale even for the larger British N Gauge. I'd assume that this was the case in order to fit in a standard motor unit rather than to make a scale model.

TK421

Postby TK421 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:06 pm

I had a few mk1's and cct van's they where both slightly larger than the farish and dapol stuff
Commander tear this ship apart until you have found them track plans!

sandtrain

Postby sandtrain » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:37 am

I think your correct Zunman.....the Lima Locos are an awful lot larger than Farish, minitrix etc.
Something others who are relatively new to N Gauge should be aware of - Lima locos can look silly besides others.

Karhedron

Postby Karhedron » Mon Feb 18, 2013 8:46 pm

There are some good bits and bobs in the old Lima range. The GWR horseboxes are to scale. The only problem is too many roof vents but the model can be improved very quickly and easily into decent representation of the prototype.
To an optimist, a glass is half-full.
To a pessimist, a glass is half-empty.
To an engineer, the glass is twice as big as necessary.

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:19 am

Quite honestly, with the very rare exception, Lima N gauge stuff is pretty dreadful from both accuracy as a scale model and giving decent performance perspective. But there are just one or two exceptions in the wagon range. However, I'd recommend not bothering with any of the locos, unless you're a collector. They've just about all been produced by other manufacturers to a far higher quality standard, with finer details, more accurate and superior performance. The last Lima N gauge stuff produced for the UK was in the early 80s which gives a clue as to how old its likely to be.

G.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:24 pm

The lima range isn't just out of scale compared to more modern stock, its inconsistent in its own range! Compare a lima deltic to lima mk1's and its nearly double the hieght! Best left alone tbh

poliss

Postby poliss » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:48 pm

There's a page on the British N Gauge resource website about the Lima locos which mentions most of them being out of scale.
http://www.ngauge.org.uk/lima_hist.htm

Tank

Postby Tank » Wed Feb 20, 2013 5:49 pm

More than happy with my Lima Siphons. They look great in the sidings!
N Gauge Ministry of Defence Depot:- Click Here
Old layout - New SouthEaston (now sold!) - Click Here
http://www.NGaugeForum.co.uk

Essex2Visuvesi

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:09 pm

The lima deltic "meld" can be problematic as its so tall.... catches on tunnels
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

Bufferstop

Postby Bufferstop » Wed Feb 20, 2013 6:41 pm

Karhedron wrote: The GWR horseboxes are to scale. The only problem is too many roof vents.

You may have heard this before, the man who made the tooling for this model hadn't seen one and would appear not to have had a picture. I think the model has 3 rows of four vents on the roof. There should have been two vents on the centre line and one offset to each side. All he had was a side and end elevation which showed, from the side the four vents, the end elevation showed one vent in each position across the width, the second one on the centre line being hidden by the first. Without some evidence of the arrangement of the vents, he put a vent in each possible position suggested by the drawing. Obviously no one thought he would need a plan view.
Growing old, can't avoid it. Growing up, forget it!
My Layout, My Workbench Blog and My Opinions

Karhedron

Postby Karhedron » Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:18 pm

I have heard the suggestion before. I don't know if it is true but it would certainly explain the abundance of vents. :D
To an optimist, a glass is half-full.

To a pessimist, a glass is half-empty.

To an engineer, the glass is twice as big as necessary.

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Wed Feb 27, 2013 1:44 pm

Essex2Visuvesi wrote:
The lima deltic "meld" can be problematic as its so tall.... catches on tunnels

:lol:

Probably time to replace it - the new Blue Riband Farish version is due soon.

G.

E Pinniger

Postby E Pinniger » Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:19 pm

Lima's horsebox, CCT and Siphons are all very good models for their time (other than the overscale bogies on the latter, but apparently the chassis can easily be swapped for the Autocoach chassis available as a spare from Dapol). They also produced a fairly good ferry van which, though a Continental prototype, is very similar in design to the ones operated by BR. On the other hand, their Mk.1 coaches are very noticeable underscale (I think they were made to Continental N 1/150 scale) and are best avoided except by collectors, unless you run nothing but Lima Mk1s they stand out a mile amongst properly-scale coaches.

Their Class 86 electric loco is a fairly accurately scaled model (still has the awful motor bogie, though later versions had a diecast chassis and a better pickup system which improved running a bit) but the Class 31 and Deltic, as other posters have said, are massively overscale and I wouldn't recommend them to even the most cash-strapped of modellers! The 31 is particularly odd-looking as it's about the right length but far too wide and tall.

Lima also produced a LMS 4F 0-6-0 which is an OKish model other than the overscale tender (again, to fit the motor bogie in!) but generally a poor runner as it only picks up from the tender wheels; and a 4MT standard tank loco which has (I think) the distinction of being the first British outline steam loco available commercially in N, but is even more overscale and out of proportion than the diesels.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”