Dapol HST - Any good?

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
LittleReggie

Re: Dapol HST - Any good?

Postby LittleReggie » Sun Feb 10, 2013 10:16 pm

Well, I have a replacement HST and to be honest I'm still not that impressed. It runs a lot quieter than the other one but still jerks at moderate speeds and occasionally just runs erratically. The lubrication and running-in period of 30 minutes each direction appeared to achieve nothing. I've since spent hours over the weekend exprimenting with further lubrication and extended running at various speeds to no avail. In the end I got frustrated and tried DCC-ing it. At this point I found that the body of the loco doesn't quite fit on properly with the Bachmann 6-pin decoder installed - it almost does but not quite. I don't know if there is an alternative decoder to this (in the same price range) that would fit better. Anyway, needless to say it doesn't run any better or worse.

This has been a frustrating experience for me. I can't help thinking that I must be doing something wrong, but what? My other loco runs fine on the same track and power controller. I will probably keep the HST as it looks nice and does go and stop - and I don't want to get a reputation with Hattons as a trouble maker. I shall put it down to experience and start saving up for a Farish Class 411 EMU I think.

Regards,
Reg.

ASFC

Postby ASFC » Sun Feb 10, 2013 11:21 pm

Without wishing to patronise, but is your track clean? I always know when I have forgotten to do mine because my locos all start running erratically.

I am also fairly certain that Bachmanns decoder will not fit (I don't think Dapol like giving them the business :wink: )-certainly one to add to the experience list!

Mat. :)
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

thebritfarmer

Postby thebritfarmer » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:22 am

I think you need to contact Hattons again. Sorry but you don't spend that kind of money and just put up with it.
All Aboooooard !!

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Mon Feb 11, 2013 5:49 am

Over lubrication can be as bad as no lubrication and is probably not the thing to experiment with further - just a very small amount of light synthetic (non-mineral based) oil is rerquired and under no circumstances allow it to come in contact with the motor commutator.

G.

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:00 am

I have the bachy decoder in, seems to fit absolutely fine. but then that doesn't mean they all will, even a MM difference can throw it all akimbo.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

LittleReggie

Postby LittleReggie » Mon Feb 11, 2013 10:51 am

Thanks for the comments.

A few more things I should mention:

I did wonder about the track, but it is almost new. The thing I don't understand is this - the loco seems to run perfectly at a crawl speed and also at high speed when, perhaps, momentum is hiding the jerking movement present at low to moderate speeds.

I lubricated the gear wheels under the bogies as per the Dapol instructions using GM619 oil. When it became apparent the loco wasn't running properly I took the bogies off and lubricated the worm gears under the chassis as they suggest. I did notice quite a bit grease already around these areas.

With the decoder in, when refitting the body to the chassis the clips just don't quite engage on the chassis the same as without the decoder. Its only a fraction out and not really noticeable unless you are looking for it, but its there. I am using the new version of the Bachmann decoder - maybe they are slightly thicker? They do have quite a thick plastic coating.

Cheers.

ASFC

Postby ASFC » Mon Feb 11, 2013 1:23 pm

hiffano wrote:I have the bachy decoder in, seems to fit absolutely fine. but then that doesn't mean they all will, even a MM difference can throw it all akimbo.

I think the point one dapol Dave made in 'the other place' was that they refuse to guarantee it will fit, regardless of whether modellers make it fit, and they leave it off the list of decoders in their catalogue.
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”