RTR n gauge DCC locos

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
cisamcgu

RTR n gauge DCC locos

Postby cisamcgu » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:49 pm

After a few years of pondering a model railway, either OO or N, I think I have decided on N, due mainly to space issues. No doubt I will be returning here for advice on everything while I am building it, but first off I was wondering what N gauge DCC locos are available. I have a Hornby DCC controller that came with the mixed freight train set and rather like the extra control that it gives over DC.

Specifically I was looking for a shunter type steam loco that could be used in a quarry scene and a small 'Jinty' type steam loco that could conceivably have trundled around between a couple of branch line stations.

I'm going to use a track plane from Mikes small trackplans http://www.cke1st.com/m_train2.htm- it is described thus

"An outside oval with a 13" radius, plus a two-level twice-around inside it, let you run two trains at once without too much monotony. The little town has switching possibilities, too. The spurs in the right-hand corners lead to staging."

With the right hand inside building being a quarry and the left hand being a canal/rail interchange and including a station on the front tracks.

Anyway, any thought about suitable DCC steam locos would be great.

Thanks

Andrew
Last edited by cisamcgu on Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Essex2Visuvesi

Re: RTR n gauge DCC locos

Postby Essex2Visuvesi » Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:04 pm

Im not sure if there are any RTR DCC N gauge locos in UK outline but there are a few DCC ready ones (mainly new Farish from 2010)
Si quam primum vos operor non successio , impono

The only stupid question is the one I didn't ask

Proud member of the OAM
(Order of the Armchair Modeller

NEvans

Postby NEvans » Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:45 pm

The Farish class 24 DCC set comes set up ready. It does include a DCC controller which you already have, but you could put one on ebay. For an engine (with DCC chip in), two coachs, and set of track, its cheaper than buying them seperate. Look around on the internet should get it for about £120

Otherwise expect to pay £80-£100+ for a DCC ready engine, will then pay £15-£20 for the chip.
First foray into N Gauge: SimpleTown 4'x2'

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:30 pm

Not available yet, but Dapol have announced DCC fitted locos coming 'soon'.

Farish have announced a DCC ready Jinty with 6 pin socket. No timescale yet but unlikely this year I would think. Also Dapol have a DCC ready 57xx in the pipeline.

That doesn't help now, but nice to know they're coming.

C. :)

olliereading1123

Postby olliereading1123 » Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:26 pm

ChrisWV10 wrote:Not available yet, but Dapol have announced DCC fitted locos coming 'soon'.

Farish have announced a DCC ready Jinty with 6 pin socket. No timescale yet but unlikely this year I would think. Also Dapol have a DCC ready 57xx in the pipeline.

That doesn't help now, but nice to know they're coming.

C. :)

The first of Dapol's DCC Fitted items have hit the shelves. These being the A3 and class 56

Ollie
Bespoke layout construction and design, http://thefiddleyard.webs.com/

NEvans

Postby NEvans » Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:10 pm

olliereading1123 wrote:The first of Dapol's DCC Fitted items have hit the shelves. These being the A3 and class 56

Ollie

Whats the feeling on these compared to Farish's loco's?

Karhedron

Postby Karhedron » Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:46 pm

Does it need to be DCC-fitted or would it be sufficient to have a DCC socket? Then you could plug in a decoder of your choice. It would widen your scope slightly. One suggestion that has not been mentioned yet is the Farish 3MT (which does not come with DCC onboard but has a socket for easy fitting of the chip).
To an optimist, a glass is half-full.
To a pessimist, a glass is half-empty.
To an engineer, the glass is twice as big as necessary.

NEvans

Postby NEvans » Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:13 pm

I believe I'm right in saying all new Farish Engine Runs, so recent designs, apart from small shunters come "DCC Ready" as they class it. They come with a six pin socket for you to plug a DCC decoder chip into.

These come in their "Blue Riband" Range, their "Premium" models. Be aware though a couple come with "Wire decoder chips", this means some soldering may be involved.

hiffano

Postby hiffano » Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:56 am

not DCC chipped, but certainly including a socket is the farish 4mt 2-6-0 i recently bought, for under £60, it's a cracking loco.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

NEvans

Postby NEvans » Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:17 pm

hiffano wrote:not DCC chipped, but certainly including a socket is the farish 4mt 2-6-0 i recently bought, for under £60, it's a cracking loco.

Have you fitted a chip and if so how easy?

cisamcgu

Postby cisamcgu » Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:26 pm

Thanks for your replies.

Yes, having a socket into which I could simply plug a chip would be OK, what I want to avoid is soldering wires and such since my skill at that is pretty much none existent. Hopefully I will learn that in the safer arena of the track where the worse I could do would be ruin a set of points, which, although annoying, would be a lot less heartache than running a new £100+ loco.

I will have a look at the locos mentioned, but as an aside, are the Blue Riband locos better mechanically than the standard, or is it just better quality casting etc ?

Also, is my chosen track plan sensible for an approx 3'x6 baseboard ?

Kind regards

Andrew

NEvans

Postby NEvans » Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:04 pm

cisamcgu wrote:I will have a look at the locos mentioned, but as an aside, are the Blue Riband locos better mechanically than the standard, or is it just better quality casting etc ?

They are newer design models, in theory better castings, better engines, better everything. Probably find some are actually better than others. General feelings are the newer the design the better the quality. But I'm sure some are just old ones done again. Best thing is to look on reviews on here and other sites.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”