Lucky escape

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
hiffano

Lucky escape

Postby hiffano » Mon Jul 23, 2012 11:20 am

so then, I had been watching a reduced N gauge Northern Rail DMU at hattons.
I already have the Arriva 150 and it's a lovely model, and I expected more of the same from the Northern. However i've been looking to see where the cash could come from before ordering. Phew, what luck. I was in Bolton yesterday, so popped in the worlds second smallest model shop (Horwich is smaller). and lo, right next to the door in the display cabinet was the northern DMU. except.... it was no where near the quality of the Arriva. it "looked" plastic, now I know it is, but it was so shiny and cheap looking, and whats this... the front windows are painted on!, and worse, so are the lights. All in all, I think, in the flesh, it is a dismal model, and I can't believe Farish have the cheek to charge 120ish for it. Even at the vastly reduced £65 Hattons have it for, I won't buy it now.
I can spend the money should I get it on something worthwhile (maybe the new 08 in green, with wasp stripes, weathered..), but this highlights the dangers of interweb shopping.
Whoo, new job... big pay cut... but new job! yay

CaptainElectra

Re: Lucky escape

Postby CaptainElectra » Sat Jul 28, 2012 12:21 pm

The Farish Northern Class 158 is an old and rather basic model by today's standards, though it has an excellent (non-DCC) chassis and very good quality printing on the body. It can certainly be tweaked slightly by removing the end couplings and fitting buckeyes or dummies and affixing the skirting to the body.

As the 158 has been around for a very long time, you could try to pick up an old one secondhand and get vinyl overlays for Northern livery.
Best Regards,
Adam Warr
Peterborough UK
http://www.electrarailwaygraphics.co.uk

Grahame

Re: Lucky escape

Postby Grahame » Sat Jul 28, 2012 3:37 pm

CaptainElectra wrote:
The Farish Northern Class 158 is an old and rather basic model by today's standards, though it has an excellent (non-DCC) chassis and very good quality printing on the body. It can certainly be tweaked slightly by removing the end couplings and fitting buckeyes or dummies and affixing the skirting to the body.

Yep, fully agree. The chassis is fitted with the latest blackened lower profile wheels and is very reliable. You should be able to pick-up a second-hand class 158 in good condition for around £50. For new, £65 doesn't sound too bad, but plus £4 for P&P would put it over for me. Shop around if you want one.

G.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”