N gauge 2012 wish list.

Discussion of N gauge model railway specific products and related model railway topics (problems and solutions). (Graham Farish, Dapol, Peco)
phil sabin

Re: N gauge 2012 wish list.

Postby phil sabin » Sun Dec 18, 2011 7:16 pm

I would also Like to see MK2 coaches in intercity livery.

I know the new desro EMU's are to be released in 2012... But I would love something like Classes 321,317's and 325's :twisted:
Last edited by phil sabin on Sun Dec 18, 2011 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My N gauge layout Milton Grove TMD viewtopic.php?f=22&t=27781

red death

Postby red death » Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:34 pm

1977joey wrote:Unfortunatly, not all of us have the skills to do this, however easy it is. I havn't a clue where electrics & repainting models....especially N guage are concerned.
As this thread is called a "WISH" list, my post merely suggests the models i "WISH" for. We all obviously have different views...only some more strongly than others :?

Hi Mark

I sympathise, but I think it is important to remember that none of us were born with these skills, fortunately we can learn them! I fully accept that we won't all master them to professional standard, but for example if you can solder wires to a track (fairly essential) then you can hardwire a Farish non-DCC chassis.

Wishes are well and good, but we need to temper them with commercial reality at times!

Cheers, Mike

1977joey

Postby 1977joey » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:16 am

red death wrote:
1977joey wrote:Unfortunatly, not all of us have the skills to do this, however easy it is. I havn't a clue where electrics & repainting models....especially N guage are concerned.
As this thread is called a "WISH" list, my post merely suggests the models i "WISH" for. We all obviously have different views...only some more strongly than others :?

Hi Mark

I sympathise, but I think it is important to remember that none of us were born with these skills, fortunately we can learn them! I fully accept that we won't all master them to professional standard, but for example if you can solder wires to a track (fairly essential) then you can hardwire a Farish non-DCC chassis.

Wishes are well and good, but we need to temper them with commercial reality at times!

Cheers, Mike

There's nothing to sympathise over....this thread is asking what ppl wish for in 2012 lol!
My Layout Shrewford viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55270

Cheers,
Mark

ChrisWV10

Postby ChrisWV10 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:30 pm

Bachmann are already on record as saying in one of the Collectors Club magazines (Spring 2011?) that they are updating chassis to make models DCC ready. In OO they are updating the B1, A4 and ummm.... another (V2?) with a DCC ready chassis but the same body. The Farish 66s will be updated with sockets in the future. I don't think it's at all unreasonable to wish for models with this facility. This thread is, after all, a wish list. It shouldn't be a vehicle for criticising someone's lack of confidence or ability in taking a knife/soldering iron to a model costing £80-100 or more.

I would think it desirable to embrace modern extras such as easy decoder fitting, lights, sound to make N more attractive as an alternative to OO which already has all these features.

C.

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Mon Dec 19, 2011 2:48 pm

ChrisWV10 wrote:This thread is, after all, a wish list. It shouldn't be a vehicle for criticising someone's lack of confidence or ability in taking a knife/soldering iron to a model costing £80-100 or more.

I don't think anyone is criticising anyones modelling ability but rather expressing sympathy. Fortunately that ability, or rather skill, can be learnt and then it becomes very easy to convert old N gauge models to DCC.

I wish that people would do that. And I also wish that the manufactuers didn't waste resources re-doing old models, but concentrated their development on making complete new models that are not and have not been available in N gauge - DCC ready or not - such as third rail EMUs.

Most new models, Blue Riband and Platinum branded, now have the modern extras you mention and those models are already an attractive alternative to OO. No doubt any new model introduced will also have them, so rather than, IMO waste time on the older models, I'd rather/wish that we had some more new models to choose from instead of just replicating and rehashing the old ones and not extending the overall range.

G.

BROADTRAIN1979

Postby BROADTRAIN1979 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:13 pm

Look the chief put this up as a wish list for 2012? modelling skills should be on another thread i now say .I myself would like to see some new stuff, but brushing up on non dcc locos FARISH /DAPOL please, wouldnt go a miss either. how many agree on this before im fired at :D
Mark.
Youll never find a 501 like mine.

1977joey

Postby 1977joey » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:32 pm

BROADTRAIN1979 wrote:Look the chief put this up as a wish list for 2012? modelling skills should be on another thread i now say .I myself would like to see some new stuff, but brushing up on non dcc locos FARISH /DAPOL please, wouldnt go a miss either. how many agree on this before im fired at :D
Mark.

Totally agree Mark, thats what I thought the idea of this thread was about :D . Thanks for clearing that up.

All the best,
Mark.
My Layout Shrewford viewtopic.php?f=22&t=55270

Cheers,
Mark

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:23 pm

BROADTRAIN1979 wrote:Look the chief put this up as a wish list for 2012?

Yep, I agree, and my wish is that the manufacturers don't waste time and resources re-producing models that have been previously made and are available, but develop all new models that we've not previously been able to get in N gauge so that the range is increased and becomes more attractive. Surely that's okay as a wish? :wink: :twisted:

G.

THE CHIEF

Postby THE CHIEF » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:24 pm

Although there has been a bit of guess work as to what will be made this is definitely a with list. To that end I wish hornby would re issue all the hornby/minitrix locos under an N gauge railroad range. I also wish that dapol would make some light bar ready k type pullman cars. Finaly I wish faller would make some british vehicle's for there road system.

ASFC

Postby ASFC » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:33 pm

Personally as somebody who isn't interested in DCC, i'd rather they came up with entirely new models, or sticking to remakes where really required (Class 20 and 25 for example), rather than wasting money on models that are fundamentally right but lack certain features. Ultimately however I suppose it comes down to whether Bachmann/Dapol can justify development costs vs. any return.

I think I would be quite happy if Bachmann did a 105 next year, and perhaps even more happier if they churned out a 10000/10001!

As for Dapol, I have a hunch they might be working on some of the BR 25kv EMU's (as an opposite to Bachmann's Desiro), or even some of the PEP third rail jobbies from the Southern Region!
My New N gauge layout thread 'Chinley': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=41038

My Old N gauge layout thread 'Ollerton': viewtopic.php?f=22&t=32899

BROADTRAIN1979

Postby BROADTRAIN1979 » Tue Dec 20, 2011 12:00 am

Grahame wrote:
BROADTRAIN1979 wrote:Look the chief put this up as a wish list for 2012?

Yep, I agree, and my wish is that the manufacturers don't waste time and resources re-producing models that have been previously made and are available, but develop all new models that we've not previously been able to get in N gauge so that the range is increased and becomes more attractive. Surely that's okay as a wish? :wink: :twisted:

G.

Wish for what you want , but everyones entitled to their opinion :wink: :twisted:

Mark.
Youll never find a 501 like mine.

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Tue Dec 20, 2011 7:22 am

BROADTRAIN1979 wrote:[Wish for what you want , but everyones entitled to their opinion.

Quite.

G.

Karhedron

Postby Karhedron » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:35 am

Not a wish per-se but I have heard a couple of rumours on the grape-vine, both pertaining to Dapol. The first is that they are considering a GWR 2251 and the second that they may be looking at Warships.

Both of these strike as odd choices as there are fairly recent models of both available. While the Peco model is compromised by the unusual choice of tender, it is still a decent model. If Dapol want to do a smaller GWR loco then surely continuing Ixion's plan to produce the 4300 Moguls would be a better option.

The Warships was based on the following comment from Dapol Dave on RMWeb.

DapolDave wrote:And i must admit to a love of hydraulics.
And i think that the Warship in any guise (and gauge) has not been done correctly..............yet

Now Bachmann offer the D800s in both 00 and N gauge so I find it hard to see why Dapol would bother to duplicate these. The Bachmann models seem to be well enough regarded and reasonably modern. I can understand the Westerns as the 00 Heljan model has errors on the front cowling and the N gauge model is quite old and not entirely accurate.

So if Dapol are not going to do D800s then what are they considering? The D600s have been announced as specials from Kernow in 00 although I for one would be delighted to see them shrunk to N gauge (even if it would render my kit-built example obsolete). The other option would be the NBL D833s but are these sufficiently different from the Swindon versions to generate much in the way of new sales?
To an optimist, a glass is half-full.
To a pessimist, a glass is half-empty.
To an engineer, the glass is twice as big as necessary.

mumbles87

Postby mumbles87 » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:07 pm

I would like the entire thomas the tank engine range available in the UK.. failing that at least make gordon so i can import him!

Also would like some south east services.. would love to own my little C2C model

Grahame

Postby Grahame » Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Karhedron wrote:Now Bachmann offer the D800s in both 00 and N gauge so I find it hard to see why Dapol would bother to duplicate these.

The nickname 'Warships', of course, applies to classes 41/42/43 (before 43 was allocated to HST125 power cars) and class 50, all being named, in the mostpart, after British navel ships.

G.
Last edited by Grahame on Fri Dec 23, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “N Gauge Model Railway”